Windows Phone 7 v2.2 Release

<rant>

I used the previous version of the app on my Samsung Focus and it was dead-on accurate until I upgraded thru Marketplace to the current version. Its accuracy took a nose dive and has gradually become more and more unusable. The map on the initial Quick Search jumps all over the region and has become useless for "quick" search. The app now issues a message that there was an error processing my request and try again later. Groundspeak needs to issue a refund or some sort of compensation for a release disaster to everyone who has paid for this app.

Also, more communication other than "we're working on it" is in order. Groundspeak needs to get a maintenance release out to get this app back up and running NOW and work on the feature list afterwards.

I'm extremely disappointed in Groundspeak at this time.

</rant>

<rant>

I used the previous version of the app on my Samsung Focus and it was dead-on accurate until I upgraded thru Marketplace to the current version. Its accuracy took a nose dive and has gradually become more and more unusable. The map on the initial Quick Search jumps all over the region and has become useless for "quick" search. The app now issues a message that there was an error processing my request and try again later. Groundspeak needs to issue a refund or some sort of compensation for a release disaster to everyone who has paid for this app.

Also, more communication other than "we're working on it" is in order. Groundspeak needs to get a maintenance release out to get this app back up and running NOW and work on the feature list afterwards.

I'm extremely disappointed in Groundspeak at this time.

</rant>

Agreed. I have two apps in Windows Phone Marketplace, and both have code in them that allows the user to email me the error stack should an error occur. Today is the first time I have gotten such an email, and I have already fixed the problem. Both apps also have an email button to send me an email directly, both for reporting problems, and for suggesting changes. I am in the process of implementing one of those suggestions now, and will implement one other later this evening, and once that is done, I will be submitting the update to Marketplace for testing and review.

I am just some guy who is coding from home. If I can be this responsive, there is no excuse for a corporation like Groundspeak to be at LEAST as responsive. I assume that since you're a company, you're paying someone to write the code. I assume that those persons are professionals. Why doesn't this company act in a professional manner? Me? I've made a grand total of just under $40 in Marketplace. You made more than that from just the people who complained on this thread. If I can respond for my $40, surely Groundspeak can respond for the hundreds/thousands that they're making in Marketplace.

Submitting content here is the best way to request these sorts of features and upgrades. Our team is constantly working to improve and enhance the app, so feedback of this nature - and constructive criticism - is useful.

Thanks!

Sandy, we've given Groundspeak more than enough latitude, it's the GS atitude that's been missing. I've submitted suggestions and constructive criticism for the app and have had no feedback and no movement. There are numerous issues and suggestions for the WP7 app that were submitted to GS over six months ago and don't even appear to have been looked at. I really doubt your assertion the development team is "constantly working to improve and enhance the app". If they are, get better analysts and developers! I've been a professional developer (although not for smartphones), among other areas in the IT industry, for close to 30 years and would be ashamed to have as many outstanding application issues, to have left bug fixes for so long and to have provided so little communication.

I only want two things from GS - fixes and feedback.

Submitting content here is the best way to request these sorts of features and upgrades. Our team is constantly working to improve and enhance the app, so feedback of this nature - and constructive criticism - is useful.

Thanks!

Added my "Map not shown"-Bug, hope it helps.

@Rest: Post your Ideas and support others with your "votes". I´m not sure if it (really) helps to get a better app, but we should try ;).

Thanks!

I only want two things from GS - fixes and feedback.

Understood. I can assure you that the developers are working on fixes, as well as features and updates. And that we are working on at being better about feedback.

Understood. I can assure you that the developers are working on fixes, as well as features and updates. And that we are working on at being better about feedback.

Just the fact you're now posting replies on this forum shows us there is some movement - thanks Sandy.

The iPhone app got a major 4.5 release on Tuesday, July 5. It was followed up by another minor release on Monday, July 11. The WP7 app is getting is assurances that they are working on something and promise to communicate better. Progress? Hmm... I'd like to hear some genuine communications with remediation details, dates (even if they're estimates). Just saying...

The iPhone app got a major 4.5 release on Tuesday, July 5. It was followed up by another minor release on Monday, July 11. The WP7 app is getting is assurances that they are working on something and promise to communicate better. Progress? Hmm... I'd like to hear some genuine communications with remediation details, dates (even if they're estimates). Just saying...

As I said recently, we will release the next version of this app when it is stable. We hope that will be before the end of the month.

As I said recently, we will release the next version of this app when it is stable. We hope that will be before the end of the month.

Good to hear! It will be interesting to see what suggestions from the feedback forum get implemented.

Any plans to work on a Mango version?

An update for you: Work continues, and as we are adding key features to the WP7 app, we are aiming for beginning of August for the next release. This is later than we hoped, but we are excited about the inclusions and hope you will be too.

An update for you: Work continues, and as we are adding key features to the WP7 app, we are aiming for beginning of August for the next release. This is later than we hoped, but we are excited about the inclusions and hope you will be too.

Probably the feature we'd like the most is that the app work. Thanks for the update.

Hi. This app sucks. I am asking ATT to refund me my money. The UI is buggy and does not allow me to set up my account on my Windowsphone7. When I troubleshot this, it seems that I have to actually link my phone to my computer to download the 3rd party software and zune to my phone for this to operate. SOOO. I am not going to continue with this service...

PS. You have got to be kidding with this patching crap.

Hi. This app sucks. I am asking ATT to refund me my money. The UI is buggy and does not allow me to set up my account on my Windowsphone7. When I troubleshot this, it seems that I have to actually link my phone to my computer to download the 3rd party software and zune to my phone for this to operate. SOOO. I am not going to continue with this service...

Wow, I totaly do not aggree with your assessment. I must say that it is not perfect (you can see this by my many requests on the support forum), but it does work. You can search for nearby caches, download you PQs, save search results, use your GPS to find GZ using a map or compass, log your finds. Everything else is "extras".

And why would ATT refund your money when you paid Microsoft?

Wow, I totaly do not aggree with your assessment. I must say that it is not perfect (you can see this by my many requests on the support forum), but it does work. You can search for nearby caches, download you PQs, save search results, use your GPS to find GZ using a map or compass, log your finds. Everything else is "extras".

I would disagree with you. If this person had the same experience I had when initially installing it, he has no reason to believe that it works at all. Only because I tried repeatedly, did I get it to work. As it is, it works when it wants to, so I don't even bother.

This software should never have been released to the public. It is obvious that it didn't spend time in beta testing.

-Rich

Windows Phone Developer

I would disagree with you. If this person had the same experience I had when initially installing it, he has no reason to believe that it works at all. Only because I tried repeatedly, did I get it to work. As it is, it works when it wants to, so I don't even bother.

This software should never have been released to the public. It is obvious that it didn't spend time in beta testing.

-Rich

Windows Phone Developer

Hey, you are a Windows Phone Developer? Cool. Have you considered building a WP7 app using the soon to be available API? I think that every phone OS needs several options. If you do consider, I would be glad to through ideas around with you.

-Rich

Windows Phone Developer

Hey, you are a Windows Phone Developer? Cool. Have you considered building a WP7 app using the soon to be available API? I think that every phone OS needs several options. If you do consider, I would be glad to through ideas around with you.

I asked for an API years ago, when I started writing my own app for Windows Mobile, and when I posted a question on the boards, it was pointed out to me that I was violating the TOS. I shelved it, in the hopes that an API would come soon, but got turned off by Groundspeak's apparent value of money over customer. It is something I will consider, though I don't do much caching anymore. Honestly, if this app worked with regularity, I would probably do so more often, since the app allows caching without preplanning. I may do a GC app, but not going to commit at this time. If I do, I'll post for ideas. And if I do, I'll be FAR more responsive than Groundspeak. My first app has been on the market 2 months tomorrow, and has had 4 updates. My second app has had a feature added before it was a month old, and my third app is 2 weeks old with one update in the works. I'm unemployed, so I'm trying to chip away at unemployment one app at a time.

-Rich

Windows Phone Developer

I asked for an API years ago, when I started writing my own app for Windows Mobile, and when I posted a question on the boards, it was pointed out to me that I was violating the TOS. I shelved it, in the hopes that an API would come soon, but got turned off by Groundspeak's apparent value of money over customer. It is something I will consider, though I don't do much caching anymore. Honestly, if this app worked with regularity, I would probably do so more often, since the app allows caching without preplanning. I may do a GC app, but not going to commit at this time. If I do, I'll post for ideas. And if I do, I'll be FAR more responsive than Groundspeak. My first app has been on the market 2 months tomorrow, and has had 4 updates. My second app has had a feature added before it was a month old, and my third app is 2 weeks old with one update in the works. I'm unemployed, so I'm trying to chip away at unemployment one app at a time.

Well there is a API now that you can request access for. Curently it is not live, just for development, but it is supposed to go live any time now.

-Rich

Windows Phone Developer

Well there is a API now that you can request access for. Curently it is not live, just for development, but it is supposed to go live any time now.

Yeah, I've known about it for a while. I don't know the right people to get into it now, and have just lost my spark for Groundspeak.

Sandy, it's now four days into August; a few more days and we'll be approaching the middle of the month. Does this mean we can expect an update to appear in the next two to three days?

There's an update from the geocaching app before the update appears mango? Or only after?

The next release will be pre-mango.

So it's now the start of "next month". Any news on when the new (and hopefully working!) version will be released?

I'm laying odds it will be after the Mango launch. But it *won't* use any Mango features.

GS, are you censoring this forum? A heap of posts have gone "missing".

A single post was removed from this forum - the first and only post from a sock puppet account created today revealing the credentials for accessing the old API. Is there any particular reason why you are concerned that that post was removed?

A single post was removed from this forum - the first and only post from a sock puppet account created today revealing the credentials for accessing the old API. Is there any particular reason why you are concerned that that post was removed?

If the post was removed for that reason, fair enough (I have no knowledge of who posted it or of the content.) I was sure there had been other posts yesterday that had disappeared but, if that isn't the case, please accept my apology.

I'm hoping, however, you can understand my reason for being a little cynical given the history of this app, forum and lack of feedback. Personally, I'd like nothing more than to see a usable app come out of this and for the update cycle to see bug fixes and feature releases/enhancement come out substantially more frequently. For instance, how long will it be before an update comes out after the release of Mango? I'm not the only person on this forum getting very frustrated at the lack of action and transparency in the the updating of this app.

We are an exceedingly small team. The developers are currently focused on releasing the long-awaited "return of virtuals" which is effectively an entirely new portion of the web site along with companion mobile apps. Once that is finally done, the devs will be focused on releasing updates to all of our current mobile geocaching apps, and in fact they are eager to get improvements out. Please be patient as we work on improving our communication and these apps.

We are an exceedingly small team. The developers are currently focused on releasing the long-awaited "return of virtuals" which is effectively an entirely new portion of the web site along with companion mobile apps. Once that is finally done, the devs will be focused on releasing updates to all of our current mobile geocaching apps, and in fact they are eager to get improvements out. Please be patient as we work on improving our communication and these apps.

Surely your priority should first be to fix the apps that people have paid for, but which don't work rather than adding functionality to the website? If all the apps worked, or were free then fair enough, but as many other people have already stated, this is just about the most expensive app on the marketplace, but it doesn't even work! It worked for about 2 days after it was released, but then mysteriously started returning "no results" for all searches. Given that it did initially work, this smells to me like a server side issue?!

Fyi, the fact that this issue has been being raised for months now with no sign that you give a dadgum is the reason why so many people on this forum are losses off at you! I've stopped recommending it as a past-time now because Groundspeak effectively have a monopoly on the game, but only seem to be interested in extracting money rather than actually helping people enjoy the game. Its a very sad state of affairs!

Edit: in fact, here's an idea. If your struggling for dev resources, there are enough WP7 devs on this forum who I'm sure would love to get this app fixed! How about letting us fix the app while you work on the virtual stuff? Use some form of license or NDA if you're worried about people pirating the app, or only allow premium members or people who've already bought it? The its broken, but we're too busy to fix it argument really stinks!

Edited by VaticanUK

We were assured earlier in this forum by Sandy that work has been going on for a while on the WP7 app and that an update is due out early this month (in other words, in the next few days.) Now you're saying the developers won't be working on it until the "return to virtuals" work is completed and released. So is the WP7 app being worked on or not? It appears there are other priorities, something I and others have been asserting for some time only to be told that isn't the case.

We've also been assured the next update for the app will be pre-Mango. As mango has been released to handset manufacturers within the last week or so it appears the race is on - hopmedic laid odds on the next update being after Mango and that it wouldn't include any Mango features; given the track record and conflicting statements I think that prediction will turn out to be right on the money!

Can someone please give us answers to the following questions:

- Is the WP7 app being actively worked on at the moment?

- Can we have a list of what is being fixed/included in the next release?

- When will the next update be released?

- How long after Mango is released do you see the following update to the app being available, and what Mango features are going to be utilised?

- Can you give us your word that the next update will not be delayed yet again with the reason being that you want to include the Mango features?

I couldn't agree more with the past several posts.

1. I do believe that more than one post has been removed, as I have received more than one email, and clicked into it only to find nothing new. If posts were removed for legit reasons, fine, but we have no way of knowing what those reasons are, and again, given that the transparency here rivals that of the White House, you must understand our cynicism.

2. Sandy did assure us that work was being done, and a release would be soon, but your post now seems to call her a liar. Which is it?

3. Blah blah blah - I could go on, but I just looked at the clock. Let me say quickly that I have little faith in GS. If you want to know why, scroll up on this thread and you will see one of the reasons.

Oh - and yeah - you have no business implementing new web features, with a team that apparently can't work on two things at once due to size of the team, until the things that people pay for actually work. That makes no business sense at all.

IF you had any good morals, you'd pull the app from the marketplace until it is fixed, instead of luring more and more people into downloading it. If you don't pull it, it just shows us that money is the primary focus, and that we really don't matter.

Glad to see that Groundspeak are taking our concerns as seriously as ever and totally ignoring people's complaints!

Also been thinking about the post that was removed.

Moun10Bike said:

If that was all, why remove it? Credentials for accessing an old API. Whoop-de-do! I'm assuming old means no longer used so probably no longer available, or even if it is, then lacking in features. Plus with the new (and no doubt working!?!) client due any day now, who would bother developing a non-official client atm? Most people would just buy the official one so there would be no point... unless the new version isn't out soon, or still doesn't work...

Something about this is starting to smell a little fishy to me!

Is the WP7 app being actively worked on at the moment?

- Can we have a list of what is being fixed/included in the next release?

- When will the next update be released?

- How long after Mango is released do you see the following update to the app being available, and what Mango features are going to be utilised?

- Can you give us your word that the next update will not be delayed yet again with the reason being that you want to include the Mango features?

- Yes, it is actively being worked on

- I can find out about the next release inclusions

- We are aiming for the third week of this month for a release of all three platforms

- As said before the next release will be pre-mango

- We are not delaying the release to include mango

We know you have been patient. You should know that we are working.

I understand things can get frustrating - on both sides. The first 15 years of my professional life was as a developer (at Microsoft) so "I get it".

Luckily for me, I own 2 GPS capable devices. A traditional one (Garmin Oregon 450) and my WP7. Quite literally, the WP7 no longer gets used for geocaching because of current bugs. It is a brick. The Garmin works perfectly fine so I'm not missing out. I do enjoy Angry Birds on the WP7 though!!! :-)

If the WP7 was my only choice, I would be not caching right now since the app just flat doesn't work currently. I've tried uninstalling/reinstalling/etc. - I constantly get a server connection error and then a failure to find any caches.

Thanks for the update on timelines/etc. I really appreciate it!

That being said I can see the "deleted" post in all it's glory and an apology for deleting it.

No, you don't see my three posts that she deleted. They were deleted because I said I was disgusted with Groundspeak, and challenged them to prove their morals by pulling the app from marketplace until it is fixed. You know - something that any customer oriented business would do.

Edited by hopmedic

I've asked Microsoft about this issue and they've told me to send any complaints about a vendor or individual app to apphub@microsoft.com.

If you have an issue with the Geocaching application, or with Groundspeak's handling of the issues that customers are having, please let Microsoft know.

My email to AppHub:

Groundspeak, Inc, has released an app, GeoCaching, which has failed to perform as expected, and their support is basically “We’re working on an update with new features.” I, being a WP7 Dev as well, have posted on their forum, (along with many others) that they should pull the app that does not work, so that people will stop paying $10 for an app only to find that it doesn’t work. The trial version is crippled such that you cannot log in, so you cannot find out that the app doesn’t work until you pay for it, and find yourself unable to log in. The intermittent, but more often than not, problem is that it gets an error that it cannot contact the server, and without contacting the server, the app is useless. It is not a matter of connectivity.

Here is a link to a thread on their forum that details the complaints:

This app should be pulled until they release a version that works.

Thank you,

Edited by hopmedic

Well I must say that you guys must be the exeption. Many people have downloaded this app, and only 4 of you are here complaining. It works fine for me. (I have a LG Quantum Optimus with Mango Beta) I have added lots of feature requests to the feedback forum because there is a lot of room for improvement. However, the app does work for me, and I suspect it also works for the majority of users. If not, this thread would be full of hundreds of people complaining.

Well I must say that you guys must be the exeption. Many people have downloaded this app, and only 4 of you are here complaining. It works fine for me. (I have a LG Quantum Optimus with Mango Beta) I have added lots of feature requests to the feedback forum because there is a lot of room for improvement. However, the app does work for me, and I suspect it also works for the majority of users. If not, this thread would be full of hundreds of people complaining.

This is one of the reasons it is so difficult to work on these issues. They are limited to a very small percentage of our users, and are very difficult to reproduce. We share the frustration.

Maybe, but that doesn't excuse Groundspeak's lack of interest in the fact that it doesn't work for us!

This really is not the case. I know that you are frustrated, but we want to get to the bottom of these issues and are working on them.

This is one of the reasons it is so difficult to work on these issues. They are limited to a very small percentage of our users, and are very difficult to reproduce. We share the frustration.

Maybe, but that doesn't excuse Groundspeak's lack of interest in the fact that it doesn't work for us!

This really is not the case. I know that you are frustrated, but we want to get to the bottom of these issues and are working on them.

I visit Seattle fairly often for work. If it would help, I'd be happy to loan my phone for a day or 3 when I'm in town to help reproduce the issue. This isn't meant to be snarky - honestly. I work for Microsoft and would love to see this app work well for me. DISCLAIMER: I am absolutely in no official position in Microsoft to affect Windows Phone 7 or apps. I'm just a run of the mill employee who loves his phone and loves geocaching. Let me know if/how I can help.

Thanks!

I visit Seattle fairly often for work. If it would help, I'd be happy to loan my phone for a day or 3 when I'm in town to help reproduce the issue. This isn't meant to be snarky - honestly. I work for Microsoft and would love to see this app work well for me. DISCLAIMER: I am absolutely in no official position in Microsoft to affect Windows Phone 7 or apps. I'm just a run of the mill employee who loves his phone and loves geocaching. Let me know if/how I can help.

Thanks!

Thanks! I am passing on this offer to the Engineering Team and will email you privately.

Sandy, a wise man said, "People won't remember what you said, but they will remember how you made them feel." We have felt neglected. Whether we were actually neglected or not, we have felt it. Whether you think you've neglected us or not, we've felt it.

I still say that knowing the app doesn't work properly, you should pull it from Marketplace until it is fixed. I know - I'm just a lowly Windows Phone developer, but that's what I'd do if it were my app, and I was charging a $10 non-refundable price for it. But that's me.

I received a reply from AppHub on the issue, and they asked me for a list of names of affected people, because they can't do anything without being able to build a case re: number of people with problems vs. number of downloads. If you care to leave your Live account email here (or PM me with it), I will forward them to Microsoft, assuming Groundspeak continues the current tack.

Edited by hopmedic

I would love nothing better than to have this app finally become a stable, usable application, and plan to give Groundspeak a chance to make the situation right (albeit with significant delay).

With that being said, I'll be glad to include my information if the stability issues are still not addressed toward the end of the month as promised, or if the delivered release fails to provide the user experience I would expect for the premium paid. Sandy - I'm pulling for the development team to hit the bullseye here so we can move away from the frustrations and back to the fun it was before the new smartphone.

Edited by finnfive

Sandy - I'm pulling for the development team to hit the bullseye here so we can move away from the frustrations and back to the fun it was before the new smartphone.

Us too.

If you have not done so already, please write - individually - to contact@Groundspeak.com. Mark your subject lines "WP7 Issues/PM". We would like to address the fact that you have had ongoing app issues and have paid for PMs.

Cheers, all. We have a tentative release date close - all going well with current testing.