hippos below - tomorrow?

I'd love to. I've had my eye on this one for years.

Unhappily there's a steam train coming through on the main line tomorrow that urgently needs photographing, the mother in law has a prescription that needs picking up, Mother's Day Sunday lunch for 7 needs needs supplies bought and the terrier needs a new football.........

Lifes a beach.

Have fun,

I'd love to. I've had my eye on this one for years.

Unhappily there's a steam train coming through on the main line tomorrow that urgently needs photographing, the mother in law has a prescription that needs picking up, Mother's Day Sunday lunch for 7 needs needs supplies bought and the terrier needs a new football.........

Lifes a beach.

Have fun,

Well there are a few people who fancied doing this cache who aren't free tomorrow. When they decide to go I'll get them to post on this thread!

We'll be doing the cache from lunchtimeish onwards if anyone fancies turning up. A boat would obviously be an advantage but we can always make several trips if necessary!

Does anyone know how deep the water is? Can it be done in chest waders?

Apparently it's wadeable.

The water isn't a problem - it's the condemned, wet, unmaintained-for-100-years Victorian brickwork overhead that puts me off......;

Edited by keehotee

So I take it that the trailhead is in fact the entrance to the tunnel?

No, there is a muddy walk first! In summer there are also nettles to fight through, so I recommend this time of year. We has a most excellent adventure today and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves.

Although the water wasn't deep by the tunnel entrance, by the cache it was deeper than we could reach with our oar so it wouldn't be do-able with chest waders. Good fun in a boat though. Our 4 year old sang his way along in the boat and kept saying "this is a really lovely adventure"! and it was too!

No, there is a muddy walk first! In summer there are also nettles to fight through, so I recommend this time of year. We has a most excellent adventure today and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves.

Although the water wasn't deep by the tunnel entrance, by the cache it was deeper than we could reach with our oar so it wouldn't be do-able with chest waders. Good fun in a boat though. Our 4 year old sang his way along in the boat and kept saying "this is a really lovely adventure"! and it was too!

Thank you for the feedback. I was hoping to convince my two cohorts which I am travelling with for the Mega event to do this. But without a boat that can be stored in the car for the journey down it looks like this may be a non starter :(

Just a quick question. The muddy walk? Ive also heard about a fallen tree to clamber over? Would it be easy to do with a (farily) heavy kayak? Im sure the tunnel would be ok but its the hike up to it. I have a set of wheels for the kayak but if its very muddy or theres lots of obticles it could be a problem?

Just a quick question. The muddy walk? Ive also heard about a fallen tree to clamber over? Would it be easy to do with a (farily) heavy kayak? Im sure the tunnel would be ok but its the hike up to it. I have a set of wheels for the kayak but if its very muddy or theres lots of obticles it could be a problem?

The tree is a significant obstacle. We carried our boats deflated in rucksacks, and they had to go over the tree whilst we went under. Not enough headroom to stoop with bag on back. The path is too boggy to take anything wheeled along it. I didn't pay any attention as to wheher you could pull a rigid boat along along the silted up canal part the obstacles. If you look at the flying boots photos on the cache page you will see the size if the problems! I think the inflatable boat pumped up at the entracne to the hippos home is the best bet.