Let's see your creative Travel Bugs

Har_D

I am new to travel bugs and just created two of my own. I printed my kids' pictures on shrinky dinks. Now my kids will get to follow their own travel bugs adventures. They are pretty excited about them. I don't know if anyone has ever done this before but I think they turned out very well. Tell me what you think and post pics of your travel bugs. I'm looking for some new ideas.

This is my son's travel bug: Mojo Monkey

97de3607-c093-4aa3-b357-bf60982ec22a.jpg

And here is my daughter's: Calla Lily

2cc62626-4e52-48b8-9ba3-74b323352de5.jpg

Mine aren't special looking, but we made a whole story that connects them all. I started with the story of Kimi, and we kind of went from there. Start at the beginning with The Good Witchand Kimi the Travelling Butterfly

From there you have

Treorai the Rambling Wizard

Tinder the Dragon

The Silver Compass

As well, we have their homes:

Treorai's Lantern

Tinder's Hideaway

Kimi's Secret Tree

Still to come is 'The Good Witches Humble Abode', which is a Multi I am working on.

d4ca5474-56ee-40d8-932e-f7c6922adc0a.jpg

This Travel Bug is one of my first, it is called the M.V. "Last Resort" TB, which is a Monkey's Fist decorative knot, tied by the Captain of the real M.V. "Last Resort" (who also happens to be my Father!) a large River Boat on the Murray River in Australia.

ca8f6c12-2d05-4910-929d-7ec8bef5305a.jpg

This is another TB which is part of a "race". I collected a handful of carved wooden Aussie Animals (carved out of River Red Gum)drilled a hole in them and attached a tag to them. This one is a Koala and the other animals in this collection are: Penguin, Echidna, Crocodile, Playtpus, Wombat and Kookaburra.

This isn't mine, but I saw the listing yesterday:

http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?guid=08cbecec-d3b8-446f-9dbe-8adcd08271b5

It's a virtual TB.

Can someone post some of those creative wonderful jerks who attached TB's to cinder blocks? :laughing:

That type of TB is not allowed. Please don't imitate this.

I can see why this would be against the rules. Anyone can post it. This is also why I am very reluctant to get into geocoins. I can't see spending $5-$25 on a cool looking coin that I will never see again. It may travel for awhile but eventually some greedy idiot will decide they deserve to keep it. Very sad...

Virtual logging (logging a trackable you did not physically see in person) is considered abuse of the www.geocaching.com system, and can result in a trackable page being locked by Groundspeak. One can appeal this action by deleting the virtual logs, and sending a message to contact at geocaching .com

Our TB "B's black bag of Bs" was inspired by a TB I saw some time ago called "Froggies Treasury". Finder's are asked to exchange Bs in the bag.

b1f187a8-7281-47ea-b149-6bb8685e8685.jpg

"English County Counter" has been going since April 2008 and is methodically counting off all our English counties - 15 checked as present and correct so far!

b7bd50ae-1315-4a64-9691-b4fdeb24e460.jpg

"KFC Kernow's Fast Chicken" is one of 27 cross-stitched chickens who've just started a race around the U.K.

a80eacf1-a434-4e09-9e87-83b461a65c5e.jpg

"Minnie the Mega minnow" is my smallest ever TB and I fear for her safety - I think she may have got stranded on a mountain in Luxemburg.

9c321b8f-6d30-4013-b3f1-5f358031033c.jpg

"Postcard from the Kruger National Park" is a postcard with the TB tag laminated onto it (I think... that's what the first postcard was like anyway). It's the second mission for this TB postcard which is now travelling from South Africa to the geocacher erik88l-r in Georgia USA.

7b5a136f-ac9f-4063-9b31-e63095c2bdc3.jpg

MrsB

Lugged this 50+ pound bug Rusty the Rail nearly a kilometer out of the woods. Took it to a few events. It inspired me to make a multicache along a new railtrail in our area (took over a year to do that) and I carried it more than a kilometer out to the final. It's a fitting location for the TB but it gets few visitors and I am starting to feel bad for the owner as no one has retrieved it. If it doesn't move in the next 3-6 months I may bring it back out myself.

4f897d26-8877-4f5e-960b-44b139279d80.jpg

Edited by Michaelcycle

Very cool tb but I can understand why no one would want to lug that around. You wouldn't have to worry about some one stealing it unless they wanted the scrap iron.

It reminds me of a tb I saw pictures of that was attached to a tire. I can't find the page for it.

Who could forget Ozzie, The Osprey Love Doll!

It was always good for some fun reading.

And the Osprey Cam is up and working! I just saw Ricky or Lucy fly off. The nest seems to be getting so tall you can't down inside it to look for eggs. I don't see any eggs yet, but they had eggs in the nest on April 8th last year. It was warmer then than it has been this year. I ought to go post to the thread! Time to start watching again. :D

Lugged this 50+ pound bug Rusty the Rail nearly a kilometer out of the woods. Took it to a few events. It inspired me to make a multicache along a new railtrail in our area (took over a year to do that) and I carried it more than a kilometer out to the final. It's a fitting location for the TB but it gets few visitors and I am starting to feel bad for the owner as no one has retrieved it. If it doesn't move in the next 3-6 months I may bring it back out myself.

I saw that monster at GW5. B)

d4ca5474-56ee-40d8-932e-f7c6922adc0a.jpg

This Travel Bug is one of my first, it is called the M.V. "Last Resort" TB, which is a Monkey's Fist decorative knot, tied by the Captain of the real M.V. "Last Resort" (who also happens to be my Father!) a large River Boat on the Murray River in Australia.

I recently bought a craft book explaining how to make those knots. I would love to find that one!

That's interesting, but seems like it won't get a whole lot of action. I'd never take something that big myself. I found one in vegas that was a full sized coconut bra and even though it was super creative, I thought that would be too much of a pain to take along. I've been leaning more toward smaller ones lately. Apparently, not everyone agrees. I just double checked and the coconut bra is not where I saw it any more.

Here's one that I thought was pretty cool and much more portable. Not my own idea, but I wish it was. The owner asked people to add coins to the TB as it travels the world collecting tips.

http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?id=4370114

Edited by mocrash

On October 7 2013 I saw a pair of buses turned RVs, Heading East on I-70 Between Dayton & Columbus,Ohio the first had a license place sized travel bug, but I couldn't get close enough to get all the tag numbers,

(it was a blue luxury bus, and its companion was either green or perhaps orange (Syracuse, NY?) I was hoping someone would see themselves posted here, or at least know of this Travel Bug and help me finalize my sighting, by giving me the missing numbers I could not read.. my GC handle is here, but it is also my yahoo email address, so please write if you, too have spotted this travel bug in plain sight.

These are our first trackables. I used the laser cutter at work to engrave my artwork on 3/16" thick pieces of bleached cow bone (sold for making knife handles). The bone was "antiqued" with tan leather dye then polished with a buffing wheel. We hope to drop them soon and see how they do.

Mahi1_zpsd952d4ee.jpg

Mahi2_zps354a4bbd.jpg

Mackerel1_zps1202103b.jpg

Mackerel2_zps794d2b1a.jpg

These are our first trackables. I used the laser cutter at work to engrave my artwork on 3/16" thick pieces of bleached cow bone (sold for making knife handles). The bone was "antiqued" with tan leather dye then polished with a buffing wheel. We hope to drop them soon and see how they do.

Mahi1_zpsd952d4ee.jpg

Mahi2_zps354a4bbd.jpg

Mackerel1_zps1202103b.jpg

Mackerel2_zps794d2b1a.jpg

Wow. Impressive. That's one of the coolest TB's I've seen.

Oh, my gosh, I love reading all of these!

My favorites of mine are two "dog tag races" that my husband and I started on our two trips to the Grand Canyon, 2011 and 2013. Of the first race, two are missing and two are still going strong with thousands of miles. Of the second race, a couple seem to be stalled but the race is still underway. I took a lot of time with the pages for these bugs, and it's been a lot of fun watching them travel.

Flame of the 2011 race (23000 miles)

Sugarfoot of the 2013 race

--Q

Ghosts of summer was a print of a butterfly and we set the whole thing in resins

http://coord.info/TB5JVMR

Jailbreaker is an antidote to TB Hotels/Prisons http://coord.info/TB54K4K

Anyone feeling itchy ... http://coord.info/TB4JMCQ

And as requested any huge things knocking around. Well there is this we saw at an event and the photos is a trick. The gallery shows how big it actually is. About a foot across.

http://coord.info/TB40NDW

Mine are made from Fimo Clay.

On the right is the original coin that I bought, and the one on the left is the one that does the traveling.

I spend some time in making and designing them, and on there page is also a part I wrote why they have the design I choose for them.

Link to page: Gekroonde Rode Vogel

3abbf0cb-0e95-44c4-acb0-f0df700a7de9.jpg

Link to page: Bockereyders in de Nacht

323104c4-c304-4c4b-9fe0-c882b38b4184.jpg

If anyone want to know more on these design you can read it on there page. :)

I have The Vandal Project. http://imgcdn.geocaching.com/track/large/2607c484-0c6d-4709-a889-2edf818b7806.jpg

It started out as a 3" x 5" piece of wood that was primed. The idea of the TB is to let it travel the world and let everyone who finds it write/paint/decorate it is some fashion. It has been stalled in a cache in Kansas for a while but I am hopeful someone will move it along in the spring. It currently looks like this. http://imgcdn.geocaching.com/track/log/large/f2195ab3-a98c-4717-8925-601a10c7b6a7.jpg

The Vandal Project: http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?id=2455001

I plan on releasing two more just like it. People who have found it have though the idea is cool and have been enthusiastic in decorating/defacing it.