WANTED paperless geocaching gps

The only thing preventing me from getting the Magellan Explorist GC is the inability to upload a better map to it. This is why i stick with Garmin units. AFAIK the Magellan Explorist GC is the most affordable paperless unit on the market right now. You won't find another paperless unit in your price range unless you find a really good deal on a used unit online.

You mention your looking at the DeLorme Earthmate PN-40. For one i don't see it anywhere fro less then $180 refurbished. Not to mention i haven't read anything about it being a paperless unit. I may be wrong cause i haven't really looked that hard at it.

The whole DeLorme PN series (20, 30, 40 and 60) support paperless caching. I've seen decent reviews on the 20, but it doesn't have a high sensitivity GPS receiver. I had a 30, but didn't like the "buttonology" of it. The PN 30 and PN 40 are identical, except for the color (the 30 is green, and the 40 is orange), and the 40 has the compass and altimeter, which the 30 does not. For under $150, the Explorist GC is prolly your best bet. Most of the reviews I've seen on it are positive, although Magellan's customer service is notoriously horrible, from what I've read. Never owned a Magellan, so I can't comment from experience. As posted, they run $140-$150 new from stores. If you're willing to try your luck on Ebay, you can find the DeLormes or Garmins (I use an Oregon 200), but you need to be careful, and you get no warranty. Another option, which has had mixed reviews, is the Magellan Triton series. Our local Walmart has the 400 for $109, and they supposedly support paperless caching as well. I think the 500 is like $135 or so at Walmart as well. Your next price stop is about $200, which is where the Garmins start at. (Oregon 200, and GPSMap60CSx (not truly paperless) are about that range.) Not sure if it matters, but Wherigo is only supported on the Oregon and Dakota series GPSr's as well, I think. (Someone correct that if it isn't true.) The local cachers here mostly use Garmins, by a very very wide margin. But, the Explorist GC was designed for caching, and I know a couple locals that have them, and love them.

Hope this helps!

I really don't care much for paperless geocaching.

*gasp* Heresy!

Wait, is it April 1st where you are already? :)

Apparently when the GC first came out, reviews were pretty bad, but a lot was fixed in subsequent firmware upgrades. Or so I heard - never used one myself.

(just kidding about your paperless preference)

Hi, I'm looking for a gps that will work with the paperless geocaching. I'm leaning towards a DeLorme Earthmate PN-40 but am still open to other options. My budget is under $150. Thanks

Wow I am surprised that everyone is missing a REALLY good geocahcing device. I purchased a Virgin Mobile Optimus V for my daughter a few weeks ago for 130 bucks at best buy. It is a fully functional Android phone. It can be setup without purchasing a Virgin mobile account and can install apps from the android market like Geobeagle and Geohunter, all VIA WIFI. It also has a pretty decent GPS setup in it and put me, in heavy coverage, within 20 feet of the cache. For 150 buck as a normal price and the fact that it is more then just a GPS device you cannot loose. I would like to note that running with the GPS on got me about 5 hours of battery and that seems to be the only real downfall of the device, but a 25 dollar Energizer charger will extend it another 4-5 hours. More then enough to get through a full day.

I am just adding to the ideas of what is out there in terms of GPS device options.

Unless that thing is ruggedized and waterproof, I'd still have a real GPSr on me. If you're only doing urban caches in parking lots, your GPSr will get wet, and it will get beat up (dropped, banged into trees, sat on, stepped on, etc.) It would really suck to be a mile and a half deep in woods you don't know, and your only navigational tool fail. Most smartphones aren't designed to be used in the woods, like most GPSr's are. I've had 2 GPSr's so far, and both have been completely submerged when I missed a step in a creek. The phones are doing really cool things now, but your GPSr is very much a survival tool on some cache hunts. I'd make sure I had one that will survive the hunt.

[:D]

Later!

Wow I am surprised that everyone is missing a REALLY good geocahcing device. I purchased a Virgin Mobile Optimus V for my daughter a few weeks ago for 130 bucks at best buy. It is a fully functional Android phone.

I am just adding to the ideas of what is out there in terms of GPS device options.

No doubt smartphones will some day approach, and surpass, current handheld units some day, but that day is not here yet. Like it has replaced the PDA, the smartphone will one day replace handheld units.

I don't think phone manufacturers will bulk up general consumer phones to make it suitable for outdoor use - there will probably be accessories like the Magellan Toughcase - IPX-7 protection, extra battery, better GPS receiver. The ability to run custom applications on the smartphone, as opposed to being subject to Garmin's decision on what and when to update in their firmware, is the clincher for me. But like I said, they're not there yet.

Lets not forget the relative crappy battery life of smartphones compared to a good hand held GPSr.

Yep I covered that in my post.

Also on the ruggedness, I Vibrant has a pretty tough screen, gorilla glass, and the device is pretty tough as I have dropped it a few times at home, but never out caching, go figure. Also there are plenty of rugged cases to buy for smart phones and if they can stand up to a drop in a parking lot then it should be good to go on everything but really sharp rocks(which I'm sure not many devices could withstand). As for the GPS it was pretty good and landed me on a couple caches and within 20 feet on others. I was just putting out some info and other suggestions on devices in the 150 range, and this is an option.

Lets not forget the relative crappy battery life of smartphones compared to a good hand held GPSr.

Yep I covered that in my post.

Also on the ruggedness, I Vibrant has a pretty tough screen, gorilla glass, and the device is pretty tough as I have dropped it a few times at home, but never out caching, go figure. Also there are plenty of rugged cases to buy for smart phones and if they can stand up to a drop in a parking lot then it should be good to go on everything but really sharp rocks(which I'm sure not many devices could withstand). As for the GPS it was pretty good and landed me on a couple caches and within 20 feet on others. I was just putting out some info and other suggestions on devices in the 150 range, and this is an option.

Thanks for all the info. I stumbled across this post. I have been looking for a cheap phone option and I think your idea is a good one. I'm new to geocaching and just bought a nuvi to get started. I like the idea of multifunctional devices. I have regular gps units but nothing that can take data or maps.

I don't think the fragile nature of a phone is a big deal either. If you want more durability and are worried you might get it wet you can do what I've done for years with cameras. Put it in a ziploc bag or similar bag.

A lot of people love the DeLorme's. And, for that price, it's about unbeatable. I can tell you from experience that the PN series are built like tanks. My PN-30 was about 1 1/2 feet deep in water a couple of times, and being a former Marine, I am generally not easy on gear. (The old saying is, "Give a Marine two steel balls in a padded room, he'll break one and lose the other.") Personally, I didn't like the functionality of it. But, it's a durable unit, and DeLorme by and large has a very devoted following. Good luck. Like I said, for that price, I think you did very well.

Later!

Hi, I'm looking for a gps that will work with the paperless geocaching. I'm leaning towards a DeLorme Earthmate PN-40 but am still open to other options. My budget is under $150. Thanks

Wow I am surprised that everyone is missing a REALLY good geocahcing device. I purchased a Virgin Mobile Optimus V for my daughter a few weeks ago for 130 bucks at best buy. It is a fully functional Android phone. It can be setup without purchasing a Virgin mobile account and can install apps from the android market like Geobeagle and Geohunter, all VIA WIFI. It also has a pretty decent GPS setup in it and put me, in heavy coverage, within 20 feet of the cache. For 150 buck as a normal price and the fact that it is more then just a GPS device you cannot loose. I would like to note that running with the GPS on got me about 5 hours of battery and that seems to be the only real downfall of the device, but a 25 dollar Energizer charger will extend it another 4-5 hours. More then enough to get through a full day.