Is it possible to transfer logs to a new trackable?

ECplus3

I have been releasing coins to honour fallen soldiers and unfortunately most have gone missing. I would like to release new coins to replace those that are missing, but was wondering if the old logs could be transferred to the new coin to keep the history intact.

Why not use the number of those missing coins and send a copy out? You could laminate a picture of the coin, stating with it, that the original was stolen.

Or engrave the number on one of those copy tags. I've forgotten, who sells those, though.

I don't think, there's a way to transfer logs.

I have been releasing coins to honour fallen soldiers and unfortunately most have gone missing. I would like to release new coins to replace those that are missing, but was wondering if the old logs could be transferred to the new coin to keep the history intact.

Missing travel bugs are re-released using the same bug page, keeping the history intact. Getting a copy coin would require getting it engraved with the same tracking number, otherwise people consider them facsimiles and not the real thing. I don't buy into that idea but others do. They want to find the coin, not a copy.

Re-producing a real coin and having it engraved with an old number is probably not as cost effective as getting new ones to release.

Edited by BlueDeuce

I see there is a new company out there now who create high quality proxies - ...metal coins with durable Anodized finishes and photo-realistic recreations of the original coin design... or ...high-impact multi-layer Acrylic... And the proxies are quite reasonably priced, even for 1 off's!

The photos on the website look great. I'll send you the link as it looks like there may be some sensitivity surrounding these/the company at the moment.

A lot of the site seems to still be under development, but there seems to be a very well known designer behind it who has been around a long time.

I see there is a new company out there now who create high quality proxies - ...metal coins with durable Anodized finishes and photo-realistic recreations of the original coin design... or ...high-impact multi-layer Acrylic... And the proxies are quite reasonably priced, even for 1 off's!

The photos on the website look great. I'll send you the link as it looks like there may be some sensitivity surrounding these/the company at the moment.

A lot of the site seems to still be under development, but there seems to be a very well known designer behind it who has been around a long time.

It has been established that the link is not allowed, and they have been referred to Groundspeak if they want to advertise here. Thank you for not linking it.

I am very disaapointed to hear about this site...I would be upset to see one of my coins reproduced in this manner.

Back on topic...if you have more than 1 copy of the coin in question (ie: 2 compass rose geocoins), you could probably grind off the tracking number of the new coin and engrave the old one on it (or attach a laminated card to it with the tracking number to the coin)...of course, that would mean throwing away a tracking number, which probably not a good idea.

I am very disaapointed to hear about this site...I would be upset to see one of my coins reproduced in this manner.

Back on topic...if you have more than 1 copy of the coin in question (ie: 2 compass rose geocoins), you could probably grind off the tracking number of the new coin and engrave the old one on it (or attach a laminated card to it with the tracking number to the coin)...of course, that would mean throwing away a tracking number, which probably not a good idea.

It's my understanding that any reproduction would only be done so with permission of the original creator of the original coin. Out of curiosity, do you feel this strongly about people putting laminated photocopies of your coin out to travel after their coins have been stolen?

It has been established that the link is not allowed, and they have been referred to Groundspeak if they want to advertise here. Thank you for not linking it.

What link? It wasn't an advertisement either. The company isn't even selling these, but rather giving them away in support of the event coin. Did I miss a post?

But wouldn't you rather see something like this out there replacing missing coins rather than a picture on a wooden nickel or such?

I can't speak from the perspective of a having designed a real coin, but from a coin owners perspective I have lots of geocoins MIA and if replacing them I would rather doing it with something nice looking and durable rather than cheap and nasty - and I am sure those finding it would rather that too.

I picked that might be the reason it all disappeared.

Thanks for continuing to check into it. :)

It's my understanding that any reproduction would only be done so with permission of the original creator of the original coin. Out of curiosity, do you feel this strongly about people putting laminated photocopies of your coin out to travel after their coins have been stolen?

I do not like the idea of photo copies either...whether it is my coin or someone else's. Regardless of whether it is a paper or metal xerox of the coin, it is not the coin I hope to see in the cache when I see an icon associated with the cache that I am seeking. There is a certain trill to see a geocoin in a cache. If I want to see a paper copy, I can print those out myself...LOL! I wish there was a way to indicate these were copies (other than the trackable name or description) in the cache...but I guess that would have a drawback too...it would indicate to the geocoin thiefs where they could load up. I guess there is no easy solution...ours is that we choose not to log or move copies.

A metal copy seems a lot more permanant than a laminated paper copy, so I do feel a little more strong about it for this reason. I am happy to hear that permission will be required.

But wouldn't you rather see something like this out there replacing missing coins rather than a picture on a wooden nickel or such?

I can't speak from the perspective of a having designed a real coin, but from a coin owners perspective I have lots of geocoins MIA and if replacing them I would rather doing it with something nice looking and durable rather than cheap and nasty - and I am sure those finding it would rather that too.

Yes, that does sound better...but, a copy is still a copy. When we release coins, we assume that we will never see it again. We love watching them travel...and it seems like they travel better now than they did years ago. If ours goes missing, we are disappointed, but do not feel it necessary to replace it with something else.

edit to add that I understand why the OP wants to "replace" these coins...they were serving a special purpose

Edited by DresselDragons

I would reuse the tracking number and send it out again.