How funny, but predictable...

Deckyon

It is funny how someone could go and spend the time to put together a website that centers on a specific subject ot task or game, and then the public comes in and tells the owner what they want. And furthermore, when the owner tries to implement the changes and make the public happy, they just want more.

I have sat and read through the topics posted in this section "GC.COM Discussion" and just could not stop laughing. Seems like GC.com is not exempt from the "if it is not the internet, it should be free and cater only to me" syndrome that has been so rampent, especially in the photography sites.

The solution to the complaints is simple, "if you don't like the policies and procedures, leave."

If the TOS/TOU bother you, make sure you have a firm understanding of them, then question them. If you still don't like them, leave.

If you have a question on posting a cache (any kind) and you have read all the documentation and guidelines, ASK FOR HELP! If you are not satisfied with the answer, change locations and try again. If you still don't like the response, leave.

Only one entity is in control here, and that is Groundspeak. Sure, those of us who pay for membership expect some benefits, but we all have to agree with the methods Groundspeak set forth. If not, we can leave.

I have and run a couple sites with specific subjects (photography and astronomy) and our policy is the same, accept our terms or leave. If your ego gets hurt, tough, grow up and realize thatyou are NOT the only person here.

As far as the copywrite issues in posting logs, get over it. Are you going to sign the physical log, and then go back and take your name off later because your ego got bruised? Please, grow up. The site is just a place to share the info of the other caches in the logs that some may never get to go see. If you are concerned about copywrite, don't post.

Anyway, enough of the soapbox talk. Personally, while I have not logged a lot of caches, I have an extremly fun time looking and at least writing in the paper log. My wife enjoys it and my 5 yo daughter loves the "treasure hunt." I am not about to complain about getting turned down for a cache I am trying to place, or get upset with Groundspeak because I don't agree with their TOS/TOU, or complain about my logs on the site no longer belonging to myself after I post them. I cant go to the physical cache and cut my name out of the paper log there, can I?

I think too many people lost touch with the true purpose of this place. It is here to provide a good time out in the physical world. The primary focus is for everyone who comes here to have something to do and have fun doing. I am sure that the money from TB's and Premium members is only secondary. These sites start up because someone wanted to share their experiences. Lets get back to "sharing our experiences playing a very fun game."

BTW, I will not be replying to any post made to this one, you don't like it, get over it.

---

Brad Buskey

http://www.deckyon.com

N38:17.281, W85:32.998

deckyon@NOSPAM.msn.com

Magellan Meridian Platinum

When you buy a meal at a nice resteraunt you expect good service and tasty food. What's up with that?

Sorry you don't post all your logs online. That you have a chance to make things more enjoyable and don't do it is everyones loss.

All that whining and *****ing in the forums is a tool for CG.com to use to make the site more tasty for everyone.

quote:
Originally posted by Renegade Knight:

When you buy a meal at a nice resteraunt you expect good service and tasty food. What's up with that?

All that whining and *****ing in the forums is a tool for CG.com to use to make the site more tasty for everyone.

And the salt and pepper on the table are there to make the food more tasty. However, too much only spoils all the hard work the chef did.

CO Admin

Bureaucratic nonsense and petty power mongering a speciality

tongue.gif The Frog is my friend big_smile.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Jomarac5:

But what if the chef is not doing the best possible job?

The chef is *never* doing the best possible job. It is *always* possible to do better. Still, a good chef's best try will still be better than the alternative, and I'd rather thank (and tip) the chef than complain that his Telicherry black peppercorns were cracked 3.7% too small, on average. icon_biggrin.gif

[[[ ClayJar Networks ]]]

Home of Watcher downloads, Official Geocaching Chat, and the Geocache Rating System

quote:
Originally posted by Deckyon:

The solution to the complaints is simple, "if you don't like the policies and procedures, leave."

If the TOS/TOU bother you, make sure you have a firm understanding of them, then question them. If you still don't like them, leave.

If you have a question on posting a cache (any kind) and you have read all the documentation and guidelines, ASK FOR HELP! If you are not satisfied with the answer, change locations and try again. If you still don't like the response, leave.

I'd just like to say thanks for a well written post that hits the nail on the head. If any one thinks they can do a better job, go ahead. I'm happy with the job Groundspeak is doing.

Don't mind us, we're just looking for tupperware in this bush.

The chef is still Toooooooo Cool he started giving out a bowl of plain vanilla ice cream and it was free, after a while he thought well maybe I can add a few nuts because some people like them and just charge for the nuts that way it would help cover the cost of the free ice cream and everyone was happy, and they were for a while, them the customers started demanding, more , more, more, or we will go away and never come back, but whipped cream and cherry’s cost money and no one is leaving a tip. He can’t add everything everyone wants in the amount of time they are demanding, so a few of the customers are going down the street to eat at the corner restaurant but all they have is saw dust and crackers. I am quite happy eating here. ………………… JOE

PS: I wonder if the chef would offer a lifetime membership to his restaurant customers that in fact DO like eating here to help offset the cost of the customers that are demanding more ( slackers / complainers )

quote:
Originally posted by CO Admin:

And the salt and pepper on the table are there to make the food more tasty. However, too much only spoils all the hard work the chef did.

Not long ago, I had lunch at a pizza parlor, and on the table were four containers.

The label on the clear container read "Salt."

The label on the beige container read "Garlic Salt."

The label on the red container read "Hot Pepper."

The label on the white container read "Garlic."

I selected the white container and poured some of the contents onto my slice of pizza.

What did the container actually contain? Table salt.

There's an analogy in there, somewhere.

quote:
Originally posted by Zaphod Beeblebrox:

Not long ago, I had lunch at a pizza parlor, and on the table were four containers.

The label on the clear container read "Salt."

The label on the beige container read "Garlic Salt."

The label on the red container read "Hot Pepper."

The label on the white container read "Garlic."

I selected the white container and poured some of the contents onto my slice of pizza.

What did the container actually contain? Table salt.

There's an analogy in there, somewhere.

You decided you wanted something.

You chose it and committed to it.

Despite what you thought you were getting, it really wasnt what you wanted.

As a result, your meal was made less enjoyable, rather then more.

"This is gc.com, love it or leave it "

What if the chef is really good. And when the word got out about how good the food was at his restaurant suddenly there was a huge line to get in and it was hard to get a reservation (even if you slipped the maitre'd a couple of bucks every month). In order to serve everyone, the chef decided to trim down the menu a bit and make the kitchen work faster. Now some of the original customers are seeing a new menu...maybe their favorite food has been removed from it. So they go looking elsewhere for their favorite food.

Will they find it elsewhere? Maybe. Will they be satisfied if their entree is again added to the menu? Definitely.

I'm still eating the chef's food, because my favorite food is still on the menu. However, I've sampled the food elsewhere, too, just to see what it is like. I can understand why others might want to try out the bistro down

the street if the chef doesn't cook their favorite meal anymore.

stunod_sig.gif

"Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

Eamus Catuli AC145895

Maybe you like the free food so much that you contributed some of your hard earned money to keep the restaurant going and to allow the chef to tinker with the menu if he saw fit to do so. But suddenly the chef began to act like it was too much trouble to dignify some of his long time customers with even a simple response. Maybe you even go so far as to write a favorable review of his restaurant and to encourage some of your family and friends to visit there. Then you see this chef berating customers and developing a condescending attitude towards them. Then the chef says you may only speak of his restraunt while you are in his restraunt. He then demands that you discuss only his restraunt while you are dining. He starts conversations unrelated to the restraunt but tapes your mouth shut if you do the same.

You may still patronize and thoroughly enjoy the restraunt, but you may decide to enjoy the free aspect of it instead of paying.

http://fp1.centurytel.net/Criminal_Page/

quote:
Zuuky wrte:

You are worthy of a reply. But my boss says I can only tell one person per week to **** ***.

This is suitable for a family oriented website? Where do you get off? You should be banned from the forums for using this kind of language (it's meaning is pretty clear to anyone that sees it). You should be ashamed of yourself for dropping to such a low level.

I thought you were smarter than that Zuuky.

Guess I was mistaken.

What happens if the chef walks into a bar with a Rabbi?

I agree with Mr. ClayJar and say that I like the chef at Chez GC very much. My compliments to the other staff as well.

It's way better than my own cooking anyway.

Speaking of foods, maybe you should think back on ketchup and remember that good things come to those who wait. I don't think the management has decided not to add more dishes to the menu, but it takes more time to figure out how the restaurant can accomidate them.

I think we should have more conversations like this. icon_smile.gif I'm waiting for everyone to turn into Dr. Phil. "You can't turn the turkey if you're basting the cat!!"

--------

trippy1976 - Team KKF2A

Assimilating golf balls - one geocache at a time.

Flat_MiGeo_A88.gif

quote:

You should be banned from the forums for using this kind of language (it's meaning is pretty clear to anyone that sees it).

Ahh, but you see, you haven't done my cache TAKE OFF... so you wouldn't know that it would better for you to paraglide yourself away from the keys for a well deserved vacation, than to continue flying the same old dreary kite in here.

You, Jomarac5, suggesting that I be banned?

For a guy from a theater near you, you sure do take this a bit too seriously. Have the admin check my post then... I never typed what you presume.

As for the salt and pepper analogy... I like curry, but that doesn't mean my favorite restaurant should serve it. They aren't, after all, a fine Indian diner. They have developed their menu with much thought, and their own identity as well, which needs to be preserved.

quote:
Originally posted by trippy:

I agree with Mr. ClayJar and say that I like the chef at Chez GC very much. My compliments to the other staff as well.

It's way better than my own cooking anyway.

Maybe that's the problem. What if you know some trivial things that could make the chef's food taste a lot better, and you politely suggest them (and even volunteer to help) but the chef pretends you aren't even there?

All the people that just started eating at the diner can't get enough of the really good burgers. They claim how good the burgers are. What's wrong with the burgers they say, if you don't like the burgers then you should just leave and go find other burgers.

The old codgers in the corner just shake their heads and agree, yes the burgers are really good. We just wish they hadn't taken the steak off the menu. We liked it when the cook came to ask us how our meal was and thanked us for getting the word out about his new resturant. Since his burgers are better than the other burgers we continue to eat them.

-beatnik-

33476_2300.jpg

quote:
Originally posted by Deckyon:

... the public comes in and tells the owner what they want.

What's wrong with that?

quote:
Or stay, and live with them, or try to reason with "The Powers That Be" (TPTB) to see if you can persuade them that your idea is a good one.

quote:
If the TOS/TOU bother you...
Not sure what TOS/TOU is.

quote:
Only one entity is in control here, and that is Groundspeak.
Unless they are willing to listen to their users (aka Customers). If people are dissatisfied enough, they will just start up their own website, which leads to many problems that'd be far worse than listening to ideas.

quote:
...grow up and realize thatyou are NOT the only person here.
Looked in a mirror lately? There are a lot of people here, with many good ideas. Expecting all of one's ideas to be implemented would be immature, but stifling ideas from even being expressed is childish.

quote:
I cant go to the physical cache and cut my name out of the paper log there, can I?
Yes, actually, you can.

quote:
I think too many people lost touch with the true purpose of this place.
You mean, to have fun? Wouldn't input from everyone who is enjoying this hobby/sport possibly serve to make it even more fun?

quote:
...Lets get back to "sharing our experiences playing a very fun game."
What about sharing ideas? Is that really so bad? For some of us, it's part of the fun.

quote:
BTW, I will not be replying to any post made to this one...
I guess your opinion and ideas are the only ones worth listening to.

"I'm not Responsible... just ask my wife, She'll confirm it"

quote:

quote:
Zuuky wrte:

You are worthy of a reply. But my boss says I can only tell one person per week to **** ***.

This is suitable for a family oriented website? Where do you get off? You should be banned from the forums for using this kind of language (it's meaning is pretty clear to anyone that sees it). You should be ashamed of yourself for dropping to such a low level.
First of all I never put salt or pepper on food that is served to me. I feel like the person cooking it has seasoned it how they think it should be. I eat it the way it was served, if I don't like how it is seasoned then I don't like it. But I don't go behind the chef and change it.

Second, who dropped to such a low level? You are the one that took **** *** and in your mind made it into something you then felt was unsuitable. It is like the old joke about the two old ladies who complained about some of the words that were in the dictionary until they were asked why they were looking them up. Maybe your mind goes on automatic and changes symbols to unsuitable words but I would hope that not everyone things like that.

Actually, some places choose to put little or no salt & pepper on food to allow those who will eat it freedom to choose how much will be best. They may feel that more salt is required to make it taste good, but leave it up to you to determine how much more, so they send it out bland, never expecting you to eat it that way.

Important if your customers are required to have a low sodium diet and such.

quote:
Originally posted by Mark 42:

Actually, some places choose to put little or no salt & pepper on food to allow those who will eat it freedom to choose how much will be best. They may feel that more salt is required to make it taste good, but leave it up to you to determine how much more, so they send it out bland, never expecting you to eat it that way.

Important if your customers are required to have a low sodium diet and such.

Did not think of that. I guess I just have the feeling that if having salt is an issue I would request that it be left out. I know that is not always possible. My GF has a problem with bell peppers and she always asks if it is in the food and if so, if it can be taken out. I guess in my mind seasoning is something that is part of the entire process of cooking the food and not something to be added later.

Put your point is indeed food for thought.

quote:
Originally posted by Stunod:

What if the chef is really good. And when the word got out about how good the food was at his restaurant suddenly there was a huge line to get in and it was hard to get a reservation (even if you slipped the maitre'd a couple of bucks every month). In order to serve everyone, the chef decided to trim down the menu a bit and make the kitchen work faster. Now some of the original customers are seeing a new menu...maybe their favorite food has been removed from it. So they go looking elsewhere for their favorite food.

Will they find it elsewhere? Maybe. Will they be satisfied if their entree is again added to the menu? Definitely.

I'm still eating the chef's food, because my favorite food is still on the menu. However, I've sampled the food elsewhere, too, just to see what it is like. I can understand why others might want to try out the bistro down

the street if the chef doesn't cook their favorite meal anymore.

http://208.55.63.109/images/stunod_sig.gif

_"Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson_

__Eamus Catuli AC145895__

I like your take the best. It seems to be the most accurate, at least of the people I know.

Cachin's a bit sweeter when you've got an Isha!

quote:
Originally posted by BassoonPilot:

To be followed shortly by "NO soup for YOU!"? icon_wink.gif

Now that's funny!

I love geocaching, and I think GC.com is doing a pretty good job. I do criticize it from time to time, but I hope the criticism is constructive. But, the soup-nazi line cuts pretty close to the bone icon_smile.gif

Now factor this in.

Say a new resturant opens up next door with the 'Classic' old menu, Service, variety freedom ect. The one that made the first place famous to start with. Given the choice, what percentage of the customers would be glad to escape the 'monopoly' and change their reservations?

Cachin's a bit sweeter when you've got an Isha!

quote:
GrizzlyJohn wrote:

You are the one that took **** *** and in your mind made it into something you then felt was unsuitable.

Well, by your logic your ****** opinion doesn't mean *****.

All kidding aside, if the words being used were not meant to be anything other than harmless, then why the need to use non-descript characters at all? It's obvious that the intent was there to make those words to appear exactly as I took them.

In our society, we have come to recognize words with blanked out letters to be unsavory. My assumption was well founded (and most likely right on the mark).

As far as the old ladies go, perhaps they were looking them up just to see if they were there.

Back to the topic, it's important for any business to listen to it's customers. If they don't listen when customers are complaining (or offering suggestions for improvement), they will soon lose business and their customers will go elsewhere. That there is no elsewhere at this point in time is irrelevant -- it's inevitable that one day there will be a somewhere else and when that day comes, I hope that the owners of this site remember that they had their chance to listen to people's concerns but chose to ignore them.

All these analogys about meals and restaurants is just making me hungry. :-) I don't agree with the original statement of this thread. (The writer said he wasn't going to reply to these threads, but I wonder if he's reading them?). Anyway, I don't think gc.com minds the criticism, as long as its constructive. Otherwise, why would gc.com have forums? I've seen a lot of good changes come to the website because of suggestions that come out of these forums. Evidently Jeremy sees value in having forums on his website. So if the original writer doesn't like reading the suggestions, criticisms, complaints, etc., perhaps he shouldn't.

[This message was edited by The Navigatorz on October 15, 2003 at 07:27 AM.]

The original post author has already taken his ball and gone home.

I doubt his websites will ever be the best they could be, because from what I read, outside input is not welcomed.

Remember the U.S. auto industry in the mid 1970's?

There is a reason why Kmart went bankrupt.

When you stop listening to and trying to please your customers, the end has begun.

quote:
Originally posted by Mark 42:

When you stop listening to and trying to please your customers, the end has begun.

OTOH, when your customers demand that you add services that you can't afford to provide at the price those customers are willing to pay, it's folly to try to please those customers.

We have some customers who would like us to install our product for them; this would require the purchase of expensive equipment, extra insurance, a complete remodeling of our shop, and the hiring of trained personnel.

I listen to these people, but I don't try to please them; instead, I recommend qualified installers.

The trick is to find what pleases the customers whose business you want to keep and then do it well enough to keep them.

--

wcgreen

Wendy Chatley Green

quote:
Originally posted by fizzymagic:

Maybe that's the problem. What if you know some trivial things that could make the chef's food taste a _lot_ better, and you politely suggest them (and even volunteer to help) but the chef pretends you aren't even there?

Holy cannoli! Fizzy and I agree on something...if the Sox had won Game 7, I'd say the world was about to start rotating backwards...

--

http://magazine.audubon.org/features0101/goodwood.html

quote:
Originally posted by Renegade Knight:

Well, if I have a lousy meal at a restaurant and was expecting good service and tasty food I will leave a lousy tip and not return. That is whats up with that. Just the point that Deckyon made. At the rate that geocaching is growing I'd have to say that GC.com makes some pretty tasty food. It is the 5% (yes, I pulled that number out of the air) of cacher/whiners that subscribe to the forums that are displeased with the chef. Personally, I think that GC.com is doing a GREAT job! And well said Deckyon I can't agree with you more.

-Wily Javelina

quote:
Originally posted by The Navigatorz:

All these analogys about meals and restaurants is just making me hungry. :-) I don't agree with the original statement of this thread. (The writer said he wasn't going to reply to these threads, but I wonder if he's reading them?). Anyway, I don't think gc.com minds the criticism, as long as its constructive. Otherwise, why would gc.com have forums? I've seen a lot of good changes come to the website because of suggestions that come out of these forums. Evidently Jeremy sees value in having forums on his website. So if the original writer doesn't like reading the suggestions, criticisms, complaints, etc., perhaps he shouldn't.

Ha! Good point, I myself often forget to look at the flip side of a coin.

-Wily Javelina

quote:
Originally posted by canadazuuk:

quote:

You should be banned from the forums for using this kind of language (it's meaning is pretty clear to anyone that sees it).

Ahh, but you see, you haven't done my cache TAKE OFF... so you wouldn't know that it would better for you to paraglide yourself away from the keys for a well deserved vacation, than to continue flying the same old dreary kite in here.

You, Jomarac5, suggesting that _I_ be banned?

For a guy from _a theater near you_, you sure do take this a bit too seriously. Have the admin check my post then... I never typed what you presume.

As for the salt and pepper analogy... I like curry, but that doesn't mean my favorite restaurant should serve it. They aren't, after all, a fine Indian diner. They have developed their menu with much thought, and their own identity as well, which needs to be preserved.

I don't know what all the fuss is about here. You didn't end your post with "and die!"

Looks ok to me!

quote:

quote:
Zuuky wrte:

This is suitable for a family oriented website?

I must admit I was surprised that the words B A C K O F F (spelled individually so as to avoid masking by the self righteous holier then cow jerks at GC.com!) would be edited by the system.

I think you're right Jomarc. Language like that is indefensible. Course I just said the same words as she did, so now you'll be all over my @$$ about this I imagine. And even more so about the fact that i said "all over my @$$". Whoops that 3x now. I better stop now. [icon_biggrin.gif]