Enhanced Profile Statistics?

I was just looking on rather enviously at some user profiles stat pages that seem to be all singing, all dancing with maps, pie charts, detailed information on finds, FTF's, and loads of other stuff.

I was wondering if some kind soul could tell me if this is a simple job to do or would it take someone with plenty of PC knowledge etc.? Also there appear to different ways of doing it too or am I mistaken with that theory?

I'm a premium member with I'd say average PC skills and knowledge but I'd love to make my profile statistics more interesting...

I was just looking on rather enviously at some user profiles stat pages that seem to be all singing, all dancing with maps, pie charts, detailed information on finds, FTF's, and loads of other stuff.

I was wondering if some kind soul could tell me if this is a simple job to do or would it take someone with plenty of PC knowledge etc.? Also there appear to different ways of doing it too or am I mistaken with that theory?

I'm a premium member with I'd say average PC skills and knowledge but I'd love to make my profile statistics more interesting...

Yes there probably are several ways of doing this. If you look at my profile you will what mine looks like.

Like many cachers, I use a program called GSAK to store PQs (Pocket Queries) from the geocaching website. This creates a database of the caches around me, and also stores details of my found caches (by running a special PQ that contains details of the caches I have found. GSAK is an extremely versatile program and can seem to have a steep learning curve. But there are excellent tutorials and it has a very popular support forum to help newcomers get to grips with it. I have used it for 3 years, and am still tweaking it to meet new needs.

To extend GSAK, users have developed macro scripts that you add to it. A very popular one is called FindStatsGen3, and that too can be customised to present as much or as little information about your finds as you want.

So all I have to do is update my found caches in GSAK, run FindStatsGen3 and then copy the HTML into my profile on geocaching.com to get the information you see in my profile.

If you like what you see, you can download a copy of GSAK on a trial basis, and explore its power. The macros are developed by GSAK users and are developed and distributed via the GSAK support forum.

Chris

Matthew 7:7 Two is absolutely right, Have a go a GSAK; I am an absolute computer duffer, and I manage to do the maps, and even ran badgegen macro for a bit of fun, but that needs updating.

GSAK is very powerful, and if you do give it a go the 101 guides are comprehensive, and worth following through. Good Luck

Somewhere on the profile/stat details (usually at the bottom, occasionally at the top) there should be a name of the programme used to generate the stats:

"Stats generated by FindStatGen3 V4.0.22 by rutson and lignumaqua, running on GSAK v7.7.4.19"

I use GSAK.

Other Stat generators are available!

www.mygeocachingprofile.com/

Mygeocachingprofile.com Acquired by Groundspeak!

12/15/2010

Great news for lovers of geocaching statistics! Groundspeak has acquired the mygeocachingprofile.com site and will be moving the statistics, charts, and maps into the geocaching.com website! They have already begun an initial transfer of several profile sections into a new "Stats" tab in your geocaching profile and they plan to move over more sections in the near future. Look for the new "Stats" profile tab in the upcoming geocaching.com release next week!

The mygeocachingprofile.com website will continue to be available in its current form so cachers can take advantage of any existing sections that haven't yet been incorporated into the main geocaching.com site. We'll also be passing along all of your fantastic development suggestions to the Groundspeak team so that they can continue providing new statistics and maps directly on geocaching.com.

They do have additional stats, not on your Groundspeak profile page, such as the Little Quest challenge, which is a cache in every UK county, to find a bonus cache!

GSAK-wise http://www.ukgcpodcast.com/ has a FSG (Find Stats Generator) "How Too..." for those not 'up to speed' with GSAK.

Edited by Bear and Ragged