Paperless with a Kindle

Actually it isn't too difficult. If you are using GSAK, then there is a macro for generating mobipocket formatted file. That can be found here in the GSAK forums. You will also need to download the mobigen executable described in the thread. After running the macro you will end up with a file, You can then e-mail the file your Kindle (something like MyKindle@kindle.com). Then the next time that you synch the Kindle, it will show up.

Actually it isn't too difficult. If you are using GSAK, then there is a macro for generating mobipocket formatted file. That can be found here in the GSAK forums. You will also need to download the mobigen executable described in the thread. After running the macro you will end up with a file, You can then e-mail the file your Kindle (something like MyKindle@kindle.com). Then the next time that you synch the Kindle, it will show up.

Use <name>@free.kindle.com and it will transfer the file over WiFi instead of 3G. Amazon charges for file transfers over 3G, unless you bought the content from Amazon.

Use <name>@free.kindle.com and it will transfer the file over WiFi instead of 3G. Amazon charges for file transfers over 3G, unless you bought the content from Amazon.

I will get my Kindle this week. And found this thread. However, I don't understand why not just transfer the files by USB cable.. ?

:blink:Is It Possiblle to use a Kindle 3 for paperless caching? :( (How to go about it)

While the Kindle is a nice machine, it wasn't made to take the punishment of Geocaching.

For starters the Kindle is not waterproof and if you read the Kindle forums you find that the screens can be broken very easily.

I would be reluctant to take a fragile expensive eReader like the Kindle caching, besides my wife would shoot me if I took her Kindle... :D

If you want to go paperless, I would suggest looking into a Palm PDA (These can be found pretty cheap on ebay), Pocket PC PDA, or a smart phone with a Geocaching app instead of the Kindle.

Just my two cents.... :-)

I don't consider any of the above solutions as actually paperless. True paperless means you can hook it up to your computer and upload the field notes file to GC (or GASK). These methods allow you to read the info on a device in the field.

Er, no, actually paperless means that you do not use paper, irrespective of how you get your logs to GC so long as you do not use paper.

I will get my Kindle this week. And found this thread. However, I don't understand why not just transfer the files by USB cable.. ?

It's good to have options!

I don't consider any of the above solutions as actually paperless. True paperless means you can hook it up to your computer and upload the field notes file to GC (or GASK). These methods allow you to read the info on a device in the field.

Er, no, actually paperless means that you do not use paper, irrespective of how you get your logs to GC so long as you do not use paper.

Thats true but the Kindle doesn't not allow you to log the cache so is is not paperless.

Thats true but the Kindle doesn't not allow you to log the cache so is is not paperless.

I haven't actually tried it, but there is the experimental browser on the Kindle, so theoretically you could log your finds using that. A very separate step from looking at the information through the eBook format. The little bit I have played with the browser, it looked pretty basic. You might need to use the WAP version of GC.com to be successful. My Kindle is WiFi only, so I wouldn't be able to use it out in the field until I hit a McDonald's. :omnomnom:

The Kindle can aid in your paperless quest.

You can mark the cache as found in the notes on your GPSr (At least I can on my 6 year old MeriCol) and then log them when you get to a computer.

You could even take a photo of the note you leave in the log book as a reminder of what you wrote. I have done and still do all these things. These methods do not use paper, therefore are paperless. I do not own a kindle but can one not write notes on it, I know there are some that have the ability. The new kindle has an experimental web browser, Twitter and Facebook integration, roll on Kindle GC Edition

Geocaching can never be paperless as long as you have to sign the log book.

If there was a simpler Document to portable method, they would've created it.. For the time, I'm lugging around a Compaq iPaq 3970 with the cache webpages exported out to an SD card, and using the internal Pocket-Word to jot-down or record aural field notes. the drawback, is the bulkiness. (we're talking the size of a 1970's pocket Calculator.) The drawback with this method, is I have yet to find something in the windows world, NOW, that will consume Pocket-Word documents, so I end-up saving written (typed) notes to plain text, to copy/paste from the memory card file, to online.

I've been trying to find a freeware Document to PDF converter, for saving out to a Kobo reader (since Borders books is closing some of their stores, the Kobo has been going on sale for really low prices. I picked mine up for only $69.99).. The drawback with the Kobo, is no external input to write back into it.. This I can see, with the Kindle, with the keyboard, but it depends on the format the Kindle uses.

:blink:Is It Possiblle to use a Kindle 3 for paperless caching? :( (How to go about it)

You can use the wap.geocaching.com site to find and log caches from what I know. I have played around with it on my wifes Kindle 3 and it looks like it works. What I think we can use it for is as I am navigating to a cache in the car I can give my wife the GC # and she can read about it, logs, hints, etc. while I am driving. Then she can log it for me when I am on the way to the next one.

It is possible and it works great. I know this because I have used the kindle out on the trail. While you can use GSAK it is not needed. Check out my link below and look about half way down the page. I just put up a post on how to use the Kindle for Geocaching and what it it looks like with pictures.

Nice. I used mine last year with my 3G, logged into regular geocaching.com and worked from a list I'd made. I would make a Bookmark list on geocaching.com then navigate to it on my Kindle's browser, then bookmark it. When out and about, it was quick to pull up, scroll through my list and click, read, log visits. Totally paperless :)

Didn't know about wap... lots faster.

Great to see the video with GSAK too! Thanks!

Edited by danfan72

It is possible and it works great. I know this because I have used the kindle out on the trail. While you can use GSAK it is not needed. Check out my link below and look about half way down the page. I just put up a post on how to use the Kindle for Geocaching and what it it looks like with pictures.

Nice. I used mine last year with my 3G, logged into regular geocaching.com and worked from a list I'd made. I would make a Bookmark list on geocaching.com then navigate to it on my Kindle's browser, then bookmark it. When out and about, it was quick to pull up, scroll through my list and click, read, log visits. Totally paperless :)

Didn't know about wap... lots faster.

Great to see the video with GSAK too! Thanks!

No problem, glad you liked it. I am going to test the nook this weekend to see if it also will work with the same steps I outlined in the video. I assume it will as it also uses mobi books, and has a web browser.

Im just starting out at paperless, and after looking at the various options, ive gone the kindle way, for one very simple reason - I have a Kindle! I can see how it might not be strictly paperless, as i'll still need a notebook to jot down which ive found and my thoughts etc, and then log them when back home, but it does mean i dont need to print off the notes and hints for the caches. MY Kindle is the current issue wifi type, and my GPSr is an eTrex H.

I use GSAK and the mobigen macro, i found this to be incredibly simple (just pull up the caches, run the macro, drag and drop the mobi file into the kindles documents via USB), although it did take my kindle quite a few minutes to notice the new file and recognise it.

As for the risk of damage in the field - i have a tough leather case on my kindle, and except when i need to read the info, i'll simply put it back in my bag!

The Kindle does have various highlight and annotation features, which might be usable to record finds, making it fully paperless. I'll report back my experiences

I have been trying for several hours,(couple hours at a time over several days) to figure out how to get MOBIGEN.exe into my GSAK. I can get the macro "MOBI", but every time I try to use it I get a message "MOBIGEN.EXE Was not found in folder C:\MOBIGEN. I am not very computer literate, I find most things I try to do I just keep trying different things hoping I will hit it right.

However, while I can find a Mobigen folder, I cannot locate mobigen.exe.

I've spent even more time trying to get CacheMate back into my Palm m500, using an SD card. I think I have given up on that, but will keep banging away at both until one or both work. :blink: :blink: :)

I really appreciate the help I've been able to get on this forum, and thank you to anyone who can give me any more pointers to help figure out what I'm doing wrong. :P