If you could cache ANYWHERE...

MamaKatS

So, what locations are on your "bucket list" of places to cache???? For me, geocaching provides the PERFECT excuse to visit places I've always wanted to go but never had a real reason to. If $$ and time were not a consideration, where would you like to go caching if you could?

So, what locations are on your "bucket list" of places to cache????

When/if I go back to Jamaica, I'll plan to spend a day caching. The only time I've been there, we stayed at a resort that had no caches nearby, and I only managed one Earthcache during an off-resort excursion. (That one was YS Falls, and I highly recommend it for your bucket list.)

Alaska and New Zealand would both be near the top of my list.

+1. I would love to grab a cache on top of some impossible looking mountain in either of those locations. I am not a climber, so it would have to be a mountain that can be scrambled.

+1 for me to. Alaska and New Zealand have been on my bucket lists as places to visit long before I ever started geocaching.

A few other places...

Other U.S. destinations might include: Jackson Hole (Wyoming), Florida keys, New Orleans, etc.

Machu Picchu...a couple of years ago I thought I might have an opportunity to go to Machu Picchu when a meeting in Iquitos, Peru (the largest city in the world not accessible by road) was tentatively scheduled. Alas, travel funding from an international source fell through and none of the attendees could come up with the funds from the respective institutions.

Various Latin American countries such as Belize, Argentina, Nicaragua, and Chile.

Caribbean or other tropical islands (Fiji, Tahiti...)

More countries in Africa (Kenya, Senegal, Botswana...)

Edited to add...

In another thread someone mentioned taking a canal boat vacation in the UK. There's a kids show that my son likes on BBC kids (yes, we get it on our local cable tv lineup) called "Rosie and Jim". It's about a couple of rag dolls that live on a Canal "narrowboat" navigated by a character that writes children's stories. In each episode, they visit several very scenic locations along the canals. These canal boats can be rented (typically for 3 days to a week) in the UK, on the Midi canal in southern France and various other locations. A weekly rental of a canal boat, traveling slowly from village to village along the canals and grabbing some caches along the way sounds pretty amazing.

Edited by NYPaddleCacher

Not exactly a "numbers run", but I hear the approach to this one is fantastic!

That would be my choice.

Absent the $50M to get there -- It'd be my first choice, too -- my wife and I really want to do one of those hiking tours in the Cotswolds in England. There are these great trips where you walk the 4-5 miles between towns at whatever pace -- carrying a day pack -- and then the company whips your luggage over from your previous stop in a van when you check in to your hotel. Combined with some geocaching en route, I think it would be a great trip. Leisurely breakfast, 3 mile walk, a 3-pint lunch, and another walk to get to dinner. Lots of caches around those parts, so I think it'd be great. As finances go, that's not going to happen for another couple years, but by then our kids will be in the 9 and 6 range, and it will be an ideal trip for them, too.

I live in the state of Hawaii so my geocaching bucket list is a bit odd. At least people I've told in real life think it is odd. :yikes:

• Iceland
  • Swedencheck_mark_black.gif
  • Norway
  • Finland

There's some of my choices, already completed one of them, although I'd love to revisit as we have family there.

Other places would include:

• British Columbia, even though it is where I live I'd love to explore more.
  • All the Canadian Provinces/Territories
  • New Zealand
  • Easter Island
  • Swiss Alps
  • Somewhere with cacti (I love cacti!:blink:)

the list goes on....

Given the opportunity, I'd like to visit just about everywhere, and experience all cultures on this little blue planet (excepting the folks who would rather shoot you than show you around).

I've had some pretty good exposure to it, but I'm not quite finished looking at the good ol' USA quite yet.

New England, especially Maine.

The Florida Keys (for a Cheeseburger in paradise). B)

I love the idea being a professional geocacher and visit all the beautifull places in the world, unfortunately it seems to be difficult to find a sponsor to make it happen...

Still, some places I have on my list (random order):

- An APE cache

- Visit Groundspeak

- The fist stash location

- Norway, Sweden, Finland

- Visit a GPS Adventures Maze Exhibit

- Alaska, Hawaii

- And many more...

Of course it is not possible to visit them all at once, but once in a while I have the opportunity to visit a location on my list. Later this year I will visit Seattle for a Geocaching trip an plan to visit some locations listed.

Coincidentally, many of the places listed so far also appear on various "worlds happiest countries" lists. My wife was looking at a web site last night that showed the "best countries to retire abroad". Since retirement also provides more opportunities for geocaching the lists would be compatible. The Gallup poll of the happiest places on earth looks like this:

1. Denmark

2. Finland

3. Norway

4. The Netherlands

5. Costa Rica

6. Canada

7. Switzerland

8. New Zealand

9. Sweden

10. Austria

I've found caches in Costa Rica and The Netherlands and have visited Switzerland and Canada but the rest would go on my bucket list. I've also found a cache in the country that consistently ranks as the unhappiest country on earth: Zimbabwe. Ironically, it ranks as one of my favorite caches but that's primarily because it's located at Victoria Falls.

I was lucky enough to get to visit Australia for a study abroad program while I was in college. That was before this addiction called Geocaching started, so I'd love to go back for a visit and find some caches.

I would love, love, love to complete the Cache Across America challenge. I hope to find my first one next week while in New Hampshire and then take some time in the next few weeks and find the one in my home state of Michigan. Then it will only be 48 more to go and the final in Washington D.C!

Not exactly a "numbers run", but I hear the approach to this one is fantastic!

That would be my choice.

If you're going for literally ANYWHERE, why stop there. There's got to be some good hides on the moon, Mars, etc. Go for broke, FTF on Gliese581g!

If we're sticking to the possible, I STILL haven't made it to Anrarctica.

Edited by Sins DS

My desire to cache is attached to anywhere I want to travel to. I would like to travel to a lot of places, that I'm sure I'll never be able to visit. But I think if I could only pick one more place to visit, it would have to be Britain.

I've always wished that I could have done a cache at Tikal. We visited in September '01, two months before the first cache was placed there, and seven months before we discovered caching. I wish I could have cached in a lot of places we have visited before caching, but for some reason that one sticks out more than the others.

Various Latin American countries such as Belize, Argentina, Nicaragua, and Chile.

The caching scene is poorly developed down there. There are very few caches, and lots of problems with those that do exist. Best to just treat it as a vacation with caching as a possible bonus. (I've cached in the latter 3 countries you mentioned and others nearby, but not Belize.)

I have a tenuous connection to a cache in the Canary Islands, so I plan to go there. The place sounds like a hiker's paradise, and the caches overall sound good as well. The only downside is lots of visitors who log their finds in some language that's neither English nor Spanish (the local language).

British Columbia and the mountainous part of Alberta are the other paradise caching destination for me, and they're practically in my own backyard. I'm always off looking for something there.

Edited by Viajero Perdido

The caching scene is poorly developed down there. There are very few caches, and lots of problems with those that do exist. Best to just treat it as a vacation with caching as a possible bonus.

That's pretty much how I always treat it whenever I've traveled, though usually my travel is business related with maybe a day or two free for vacation time. I've been to a few places where geocaching is less developed than any of those countries so I know that geocaching in developing countries can be a challenge. When answering the original question my more general response would be "someplace I would enjoy visiting even if I didn't find a geocache".

Is there on on the Everest Peak? That would be cool......or one each of the 7 summits (peak of the tallest mountain in each continent).

(edit: Answered my question....there is an earthcache on the Everest Peak. GC2BX63. One find so far. )

We have managed a few countries so far: USA, France, Italy, Germany, Netherlands, Belgium, UK, Switzerland, Saudi Arabia, Bahrain, and Denmark. Will be adding Argentina and Uruguay this summer. I guess, it would be fun to try to get at least 1 cache in 100 countries.

I would also like to go back and grab some caches in countries/locations I have been in prior to starting geocaching including a lot of Asia (China, Japan, Philippines, Korea, Malaysia, Singapore, Saipan, Guam.

I do ultramarathons and each year do a race in the Florida Keys - 100 mile run from Key Largo to Key West. This year I will be geocaching along the run (not "racing" this year, just going for a finish).

Edited by caccbag

So, what locations are on your "bucket list" of places to cache???? For me, geocaching provides the PERFECT excuse to visit places I've always wanted to go but never had a real reason to. If $$ and time were not a consideration, where would you like to go caching if you could?

I agree. I use it to find new places, etc. I'll see a cache way off, and decide to take a mini-day trip to of location like this. But if I could choose ANYWHERE I would definitely pick Machu piccu or Egypt. I've always wanted to visit them anyway.