GPS Adventures Canada

CBGA

Minotaur Mazes is working with Groundspeak to create a new travelling maze exhibit called GPS Adventures Canada GC2HB80. They'd like your input on what you consider to be the most notable places and caches in all of Canada.

16 Canadian Treasures

These will essentially take the form of postcards locked in 16 lockers at the exit of the exhibit. When you successfully find the 4 geocaches hidden in the maze and complete your Treasure Card, it will give you a 4-digit code which unlocks one of the lockers, and you will discover your Canadian Treasure. What do you think are Canada's most notable treasures? These should be fairly well-known places - not geocaches, but what you consider to be Canada's best cities, remarkable sites, natural or man-made attractions - the wonders and heartbeat of Canada if you will.

13 'Best of the Province or Territory' Caches

Aside from the main goal of finding 4 caches in the Maze and completing your Treasure Card, this area will have you spin a wheel featuring each Canadian province and Territory, and searching the maze for a hidden graphic panel about some extraordinary cache in that province or territory. Here we want to feature caches that are simply cool. Cool places to be and cool caches to find. Places and caches that your friends would be impressed and envious that you've found, whether they're in gorgeous, secluded or alluring places, or whether they are ingenious or devious to the point of notoriety (or infamy). Please keep in mind these are full size graphic panels, so we will need to be able to find some stunning photograph to accompany each (suggestions that include a source for such a photo get special attention and appreciation). Also, please provide the cache name and its GC code, and add a few words of why this is the one cache from that province or territory which should be featured.

So, TWO QUESTIONS for you:

1. What do you think are Canada's most notable treasures (we need 16)?

2. What do you think is the most notable cache in each of the 10 Canadian provinces and 3 territories?

Feel free to post your suggestions in this discussion, or email your suggestions directly to Kelly Fernandi at Minotaur Mazes gpscanada@gpsmaze.com, with the letters "CTC" (Canadian Treasures and Caches) in the subject line. If you have questions or comments you'd like Kelly to respond to, please put "RSVP" in the subject line as well.

All suggestions should be made by April 10, 2011. Thanks a bunch for your interest! And feel free to pass this on to fellow cachers who might have some ideas.

Edited by Cache-tech
Cache-tech: minor edit on behalf of CBGA

I would say Drumheller and the Dinosaurs should be making the top 16. Especially as this is taking place in the Badlands.

Anne of Green Gables for PEI or maybe the Bridge.

Haven't cached long enough to know of any spectacular caches.

Our whole family is excited for this. Can't wait.

We'd love to see some EarthCaches included in the Best Provincial or Territory caches.

Notable PEI Cache: GC162VW A True Red Dirt Cache. This along with some photos of red dirt roads, fields, wind farms, etc could make a great panel for PEI.

Notable Places on PEI: Basin Head, the Confederation Bridge or the wind farms at East Point come to mind.

Basin Head has many notable features from it's historical beginning as a fishing area then a fishing harbour and wharf were built. There is also the Basin Head Lagoon Ecosystem Conservation Area and the amazing Singing Sands beach which stretches for miles.

Treasures in NB:

Reversing Falls - Saint John, NB

Tidal Bore - Moncton, NB

Fundy National Park - Alma, NB

Mount Carleton - Northern NB

Treasures in NS

Joggins Fossil Cliffs

Peggy's Cove

Cape Breton Trail

Treasures in PEI

Anne of Green Gables

The Confederation Bridge

Treasures in NFLD

Gros Morne

The East Coast Trail (The Spout! {salt water geyser})

Lance Aux Meadows

Bonavista (Columbus's landing spot)

As for Caches...

The Joggins Fossil Earth Cache

http://coord.info/GCN186

The fortress Louisbourg on Cape Breton Island

Signal Hill Newfoundland

The Confederation Bridge PEI

Hartland Bridge New Brunswick

The Citidel Quebec City PQ

Niagara Falls

Sleeping Giant Thunder bay

Head Smashed In Buffalo Jump Alberta

Roger's Pass

The Chilkoot Trail summit

2. What do you think is the most notable cache in each of the 10 Canadian provinces and 3 territories?

GCBBA Canada's First Geocache Nova Scotia

For Nova Scotia

Peggy's Cove

Cabot Trail

Fortress of Louisbourg National Historic Site

Caches worth remembering and a challange to behold

GCXTAK Tenerife Mountain

GCXTA7 Wilkie Sugarloaf Mountain

GC1VXFY View of Pollets Cove

I have pictures posted for these three caches, check em out.

Treasures:

Totally agree with Peggy's Cove - amazing, amazing, amazing! Rocky Mountains would be a no-brainer. And I'd also go with the Badlands and the Cypress Hills. And there should also be something from up north - I haven't been far enough north to say where though! Incidentally, CBC had people vote for the 7 wonders of Canada a couple years ago. Results are here: map of the seven wonders

I'm a fan of scenic caches and puzzle caches:

Frank Slide Earthcache - AB - GCMZ13 Experience awe at seeing the destructive power of a mountainside as it collapsed on a town ~ 100 years ago.

Cachekatinaw - BC - GC7787 Beautiful view of the Kiskatinaw River in northern B.C.; on a section of the old Alaska highway where you will find a really cool curving bridge.

Focus! - AB - GC1YNJ3 A fun puzzle, cute container, and a nice hike right on the edge of Edmonton (not a long hike).

He Never Met A Stranger - SK - GC15PF8 A great way to explore the Cypress Hills, with an out-of-the-way view of Fort Walsh, former home of the Mounties' musical ride.

Narnia - SK - GC15964 A little gem of a cache in the heart of Saskatchewan's lakeland.

The Pin Collection - AB - GC1CCH9 Camo doesn't get any better than this!

Trailblazer Beaver Lure - AB - GC46DE Another off the trail cache with a short hike, a steep climb, and a heck of a lot of plant life! Cool trestle railroad bridge very nearby.

Canada's First Geocache - NS - GCBBA A secluded little hill just seconds from the highway, and oh so lush with greenery! And it's the first one in this country!

So, TWO QUESTIONS for you:

The Barron Canyon in Algonquin Park, IMHO, is one of the most picturesque locations that Ontario has to offer, whether you're standing atop its edge, or paddling the river that flows below. While I haven't visited it yet, I hear from friends who have, that Agawa Canyon is also a must-see.

Let's not forget Quebec's Perce Rock!

Edited by entogeek

"Feel free to post your suggestions in this discussion, or email your suggestions directly to Kelly Fernandi at Minotaur, with the letters "CTC" (Canadian Treasures and Caches) in the subject line. If you have questions or comments you'd like Kelly to respond to, please put "RSVP" in the subject line as well."

Note: Kelly can be reached at gpscanada@gpsmaze.com.

Keep the ideas coming! It's kinda cool having a national brainstorming session on our country's notable treasures and caches.

I think the two most notable treasures in Canada are the Rocky Mountains (pick any mountain as your favourite. Mine is Mount Robson and Mount Edith Cavell at Sunset. Pyramid Lake. Jasper and Banff National Parks,Vancouver in the rain,Edmonton at sunset in the late summer,Edmonton in the morning sunrise on the North Saskatchewan River Valley. Sylvan Lake in the middle of the summer on the hottest day of the year. CBC. A Hay field at full growth. The badlands. David Suzuki. Rick Mercer. Sechelt BC.Sydney BC. Fishing on the west coast.The suspension bridge in Vancouver.Marineland. My favourites all time is " NOVA SCOTIA" and "BRITSH COLUMBIA" THE ENTIRE PROVINCES.

All the rest are already taken.

Journey to the Centre of Alberta..GC99A1

Canada's First Geocache Nova Scotia..GCBBA

I have way to many favourite caches that are special to me, to pick other than these two.I would be here all night.

dronnord

Notable caches:

NL - GCEE24 - Cape Spear Light, is a great spot, loads of history and an beautiful lighthouse which was featured on the NL geocoin in 2006.

NU - GC5803 - 'As North As it Gets!' It's in Nunuvut and is the most northerly cache. I think we can source some pics from previous finders.

Notable Places:

NL - Cape Spear

BC - Haida Gwaii, the Kinsol Trestle, Fraser Canyon

NS - Lunenberg (UNESCO World Heritage Centre), Sable Island or Peggy's Cove

ON - Thousands Islands or Rideau Canal

QC - Quebec City (a street scene from the old City)

Wow, for starters Canada is a huge country.

After reading all the previous posts,and to name only 2 I would suggest Rocher Percé in Québec and the Columbia Icefields in Alberta.

As far my favorite cache in Sask, it would have to be GC12AJM Westward We Go in Regina.

It is a multi that makes you walk along the Devonian path which follows the Trans Canada Trail in Regina.

Even though I have cached in other provinces, I have not found enough to vote for a favorite one other than maybe Landsharks' Great White North Geotour - Victoria Vistas GCXRHE

Wow, for starters Canada is a huge country.

After reading all the previous posts,and to name only 2 I would suggest Rocher Percé in Québec and the Columbia Icefields in Alberta.

As far my favorite cache in Sask, it would have to be GC12AJM Westward We Go in Regina.

It is a multi that makes you walk along the Devonian path which follows the Trans Canada Trail in Regina.

Even though I have cached in other provinces, I have not found enough to vote for a favorite one other than maybe Landsharks' Great White North Geotour - Victoria Vistas GCXRHE

Wow, thank you for thinking of our cache - we are truly honoured. I will be in Regina soon and I'm going to check out Westward We Go, now that you've said it's got your vote!

Helen

Our most memorable trip was on the Dempster highway Yukon. Stayed overnight at Tombstone mountains campground. There you can find "Tombstone Lookout" GCK688 http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?wp=GCK688.

In Inuvik NWT "The end of the road" GC8A0E http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?wp=GC8A0E

If you made it to Inuvik. go on a excursion to Tuktoyaktuk and find GC1X04W Well worth the trip.

In Alberta it is "Journey to the center of Alberta" GC99A1 http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?wp=GC99A1

rat root

My son 'A Danish' had a couple trackables that were trying to visit his 5 wonders of Canada

Some are listed above and he has a couple others...

Super Soccer Ball TB

This TB is in a race with the Super Scorpion to my 5 wonders of Canada. The wonders are

The CN Tower, ON

Cathedral Grove,BC :)

Chateau Frontenac, QU

A grain elevator, AB :)

Niagra Falls, ON

I would have to say one of Canada's treasures would be Moraine Lake outside the Village of Lake Louise, Alberta, Canada. The view of the mountains behind the lake in Valley of the Ten Peaks is known as the Twenty Dollar View, as Moraine Lake was featured on the reverse side of the 1969 and 1979 issues of the Canadian twenty dollar bill

Moraine Lake

I would have to say one of Canada's treasures would be Moraine Lake outside the Village of Lake Louise, Alberta, Canada. The view of the mountains behind the lake in Valley of the Ten Peaks is known as the Twenty Dollar View, as Moraine Lake was featured on the reverse side of the 1969 and 1979 issues of the Canadian twenty dollar bill

Moraine Lake

I was just thinking about posting this location. While Lake Louise is more famous, Moraine Lake is much more spectacular IMO. The trail along the lake is one of my favourites in the area. Lake Louise can be great as well, if you take the time to hike the nearby trails. The hike up to the teahouse at Lake Agnes stands out as a very memorable hike and location.

Thanks everyone for your valuable input! I have discovered some great unique caches that I wouldn't have found if I went straight to the blue ribbon rankings. I will definitely use some of these. Canada a big diverse country with lots to see and lots to offer, and I look forward to getting out and exploring more of it myself. In the meantime, I've got some beautiful sites and cool caches to work into the maze.

All the best, and see you in Three Hills at the Best of the Bad if you can make it!

Kelly

Minotaur Mazes

Yukon - Carcross Desert

North West Territories - not sure

Nunavut - Northwest Passage

BC - Artificial Reefs

AB - Jasper - Columbia Icefield

SK - Northern lakes

MB - Churchill

ON - Niagra Falls

QC - Canon Ste- Anne

NS - Peggy's Cove