Coins with Restrictions on them

keewee

Going through and cleaning out my geocoins (and putting some up for sale) got me thinking - which geocoins have designer/maker restrictions on them?

Yes, I know the whole argument that I parted with my good money for xxx geocoin and therefore I should be able to do with it what I like - this thread is not about that and is not to become a discussion over that, thanks.

Pure and simple this thread is about putting together a compressive list of geocoins that people know of where it has been requested that a geocoin not be sold or maybe not even traded

I can't be more specific about the topic - any discussion over whether it is right or wrong is unwelcome in this thread so I would respectfully ask you start a new thread or go to an existing thread on that if you want to discuss it. Thanks.

Geocoins where the designer/maker has requested that the coins not be sold, or possibly not traded:

Tsun's Raiders of the Lost Cache ~ Staff of Ra geocoin - not to be sold

Tsun's Tatanka Pejula geocoins - not to be sold

And I know Mr Yime suggested that the Pink Yimes, if they were sold, that any excess profit could be donated to the appropriate cause.

Going through and cleaning out my geocoins (and putting some up for sale) got me thinking - which geocoins have designer/maker restrictions on them?

Yes, I know the whole argument that I parted with my good money for xxx geocoin and therefore I should be able to do with it what I like - this thread is not about that and is not to become a discussion over that, thanks.

Pure and simple this thread is about putting together a compressive list of geocoins that people know of where it has been requested that a geocoin not be sold or maybe not even traded

I can't be more specific about the topic - any discussion over whether it is right or wrong is unwelcome in this thread so I would respectfully ask you start a new thread or go to an existing thread on that if you want to discuss it. Thanks.

Geocoins where the designer/maker has requested that the coins not be sold, or possibly not traded:

And I know Mr Yime suggested that the Pink Yimes, if they were sold, that any excess profit could be donated to the appropriate cause.

The original Moun10bike series 1-3 coins may fall under the not to be sold category.

Can I have your Raiders of the Lost Cache coin? :)

J

kayarinme's five coin set is one

and all Moun10Bike coins definitely are not to be sold, no "may" about it.

p.s. the old thread about restrictions is a) long B) has a whole bunch of postings from people (like me) who's attitude has since changed. Anybody wants to try to sell my non-trackable personal coin I wish them luck....

Edited by Toojin

I don't mind if you sell the Raiders coin, I do have my preferences but if someone sold it, I'm not going to lose sleep over it ;)

The tatankas I feel much more strongly about, fortunately most people have and still honor not selling them. I've seen a few people sell them and have asked them to pull the auction, only had one person refuse (funny they posted in this thread too). I have requested they only be given away as gifts if you don't want the coin. Will I get have a cow if one gets sold? No but I do have a long memory :ph34r:

I'll have to keep an eye on this thread. I knew mystery coins weren't to be sold and I assumed that selling coins that were gifts was frowned upon. (Not that I can imagine ever sell any coin that was gift.) I didn't realzie that any coins that were sold came with a do not sell agreement. Maybe because my collection is so small which I hope in the future to remedy when Dr's aren't getting such a huge chunck of our budget. :rolleyes: In the meantime I so enjoy seeing the coins posted here for me to lust after.

A mystery coin given to you should never be sold without permission from the coin's creator. I think it is ok for you to trade it if you don't like the coin but the downside to this is if the person you trade it to then sells it on ebay. That may cause offense as most mystery coin creators do not want their coins sold. Some mystery coin creators sell a small number of them. If you buy a mystery coin from it's creator you can resell it. Compiling a list of coins that shouldn't be sold will be tricky as there are some examples where creators have sold a couple of their "never to be sold" coins. Those coins continue to be resold so it can be very hard sometimes to determine whether a particular mystery coin is ok to buy/sell. I bought a mystery coin from someone who had permission to sell it. I bought it so am free to resell it if i want. I won't do it because I love the coin but have to chuckle when i hear peeople say that coin is not to be sold because its been done once with the creator's permission so all bets are off. The creator may have been better to advise the potential seller to trade the mystery coin for a coin or two that could be sold.

Edited by haysonics

The coins I have gifted are just that...gifts. I've enjoyed seeing a few gifted from one geocoin forum member to another, and even gifted for someone's instructor. There is a time, however, when these gifts can serve their owners better, in these days of economic uncertainty. Be aware that these coins were sent as a gift from the heart, and if selling them to collectors or on ebay makes your life easier, then you honor me by doing just that. You may always feel free to post the front or the back of the coin...cut them in half and show the middle if you like.

There is a common thread to those that have received this coin, particuarly the first 70 or so. The marking on the lower left side of the reverse side of the coin does indeed have meaning.

My thanks for all the kind comments that have been made concerning this coin.

Carpe Diem !

I believe the military geocoin that was produced several years ago is not supposed to be sold or traded - it was given out only as a gift to people who were serving or had served as active military. (The producer very kindly sent me one to gift to a geocaching friend who's retired Army but doesn't use the forums.)

I believe all mystery coins are from the heart even if they are activated. It is the recipients decision whether or not to accept it in the condition it is given. If it is not accepted or treasured as a gift, then it is not a gift. Our coin will remain activated except under special situations. If there are some who do not wish to receive this coin just let me know before we visit whatever way we choose.

I take it that those who change the topic are opposed to the subject.

Edited by The_Warrior

the lehigh mafia duck is not to be sold and is activated by the lehigh duck family. i found that out when i tried to activate mine only to find out it was already activated and marked as missing. something the seller forgot to mention to me.

And We Also Apologized for this.. The Reason That We Started to do this.. We Paid For These GeoDucks with Our Money.. We Have Never Asked Anyone for a Dime.. We Have Only Asked that No One Sell Them.. We Have Never Sold Any of the GeoCoins We Have Traded For.. Well..

After We Found Out Someone Sold One on E-bay for Almost $500.00 Only After Receiving a Free One in the Mail and Trading For Another One (Yes, They Ended Up with 2 GeoDucks).. Well It Was a Bit Upsetting.. This Person Used Us for Their Personal Gain.. They Had Asked for a GeoDuck in Trade and We Accepted.. Little Did We Know That They Had Already Traded One Out with Someone Else..

The Only Time We Have Received Any $$ For Our GeoDucks is When We Have Placed One on E-bay to Help Raise $$ For Our Year Christmas Toy Drive (These Are the Only Ones That Have Not Been Activated By Us)..

So We Figured Since We Have Put the Money, Time and Energy into Making this GeoDuck and We Are Giving Them Out for Free.. That We Can Activate Them.. If Someone Wants a GeoDuck That Bad.. Well Then They Can Contact Us and We Can Set Something Up.. We Know Let Everyone Know This Up Front.. If They Don't Like the Idea.. Then They Can Not Accept One..

We Made This GeoDuck as a Personal Trade Item.. Not to Make a Benjamin..

the lehigh mafia duck is not to be sold and is activated by the lehigh duck family. i found that out when i tried to activate mine only to find out it was already activated and marked as missing. something the seller forgot to mention to me.

And We Also Apologized for this.. The Reason That We Started to do this.. We Paid For These GeoDucks with Our Money.. We Have Never Asked Anyone for a Dime.. We Have Only Asked that No One Sell Them.. We Have Never Sold Any of the GeoCoins We Have Traded For.. Well.....We Made This GeoDuck as a Personal Trade Item.. Not to Make a Benjamin..

and i am SO excited you entrusted this little duck to me by letting me adopt it. it sits out on a nice stand where i can enjoy it every day. right next to tennessee jed's bear.

thank you lehigh mafia!

Edited by RedShoesGirl

I have decided to activate all of my coins. But instead of keeping them all under my name, I will be adopting or offering to adopt them to whomever finds or receives one. If anyone has received one and has not adopted it, send me the tracking number or if there is a number in the description (i.e. The Warrior #10) send me the number. I hope they will not be sold on eBay or in the forums (unless two of my friends are helping me out).

Greetings from Korriban

I believe the military geocoin that was produced several years ago is not supposed to be sold or traded - it was given out only as a gift to people who were serving or had served as active military. (The producer very kindly sent me one to gift to a geocaching friend who's retired Army but doesn't use the forums.)

I served in the Army as a Military Policeman. I see on EBAY that there are military coins from all the services for sale. Are these the ones you are referring to. I was stationed at a Barracks that had all the services there. I would like to get them but if these are on the do not sell list then I will not get them.

I served in the Army as a Military Policeman. I see on EBAY that there are military coins from all the services for sale. Are these the ones you are referring to. I was stationed at a Barracks that had all the services there. I would like to get them but if these are on the do not sell list then I will not get them.

The coin referenced is NOT the same as you see on the eplace. You can get them 1/2 off eplace prices here.

I gave most of my coins away so I prefer not to see them for sale, unless the proceeds go for a good cause. But it is just a coin.

I'd never sell my lovely bears! Or my wonderful Jellyfish for that matter :)

As for the coloured (not black nickel) Boomerangs - I gave most of them away as gifts, sold a couple, traded a few, and I couldn't give a hoot what people do with them after i've given it to them. I'd obviously prefer them to love them like I do, but if they dont, it just doesn't matter.

But I know BelKen (from Australia) does not want his coin sold.