Special prizes for the FTF

I know that not everybody subscribes to the "FTF" game... I don't, necessarily. I enjoy trying to be the FTF, but I'm not comparing any numbers and am not upset if I don't get there in time - it just adds an element to the game, so please don't rail me, non FTFers.

I've seen and heard of lots of special "don't have to be replaced" prizes for the FTF... Other cache containers, money to cover gasoline, various geocaching swag (coins, TBs, etc.). I have been planning, and will be placing today, a Large Cache that will take a bit of time. It will be a difficulty of only 1.5 or so, but terrain will be more like 3 - 3.5. Should take about 1/2 hour walk each way from parking (includes a few challenges like crossing creeks on fallen trees), but the hunt once at GZ shouldn't be THAT much of a challenge.

It's titled "Summertime!" and will be an ode to our approaching exit from cold weather. LOTS of swag in it - RC Car, Kids Horseshoe Set, Frisbees, Baseballs, Squirt Guns, etc... As an added Summertime bonus to the FTF, I am including 2 coupons exchangeable for 2 $27 tickets on the 3rd base line at any Pittsburgh Pirates baseball game. I thought that would be a great prize for Summertime.

Thoughts??? What cool prizes have you seen or heard of?

I was at an LL Bean outlet and they were selling really nice hiking pants for $5 (their original catalog price was $45). Unfortunately none were in my size, but I bought a pair anyway and left them as a FTF prize (to the first person with a 32"inch waist and 30" inseam).

A few years ago I received a hydration backpack as a gift. It was nice, but I had no use for it, so left it as a FTF prize. Of course it wouldn't fit in the container so I wrapped it in a few garbage bags, hid it about 100 feet away and left a note inside with the coordinates.

As far as finding a prize, I don't recall ever finding a cache first and there being a FTF prize. It isn't that common a practice in these parts.

I the caches I've placed, I put in a $2 bill and a lottery ticket with a congrats note for FTF. Just a simple reward for being first. I do not state in the cache description that there is a FTF prize. As for my FTFs, I've only found three and just one had a FTF reward--a coupon for hamburger at Micky Ds.

have seen coins, travel bugs, gift certificates, geocache containers, money, toys, books, movies. Was annoyed once that I was FTF on a puzzle, but the CO said it was only to be given to someone who had not found one of his prior puzzles before. That was silly, but whatever, I just wrote FTF and never did find out what the "prize" was.

Not sure about any that stand out. I like how one guy did a special coin for the first 20 finders. I was 35th to find, but that was okay, it sounded cool.

OH!! I know the best prize I have heard of. I did not win, but when Moun10bike leaves a coin as a FTF prize, now thats special!

Edited by lamoracke

My kid's school ran a fund raiser selling certificates good for a hoagie (submarine sandwich) at a local chain.

They did not sell real well and I ended up with way more of them than I can safely eat (they taste great but are not very healthy, especially if you get the extra bacon).

I stuck one in each of my 2 hides, one of which was within sight of a store.

I've found some cool TBs in FTFs, but mostly just the cool untouched log sheet and the useless but valued experience of getting there a few minutes faster than someone else.

I was at an LL Bean outlet and they were selling really nice hiking pants for $5 (their original catalog price was $45). Unfortunately none were in my size, but I bought a pair anyway and left them as a FTF prize (to the first person with a 32"inch waist and 30"

Cool! A First That Fits prize!!

FTF gifts in my area are neither common nor expected in new caches.

I have found it a bit annoying when I hide a new cache and the FTF (If an out-of-area person) takes the nicest piece of SWAG and leaves nothing with the assumption that it was a FTF 'prize'. So mark the FTF prize clearly if you include one.

I really like getting unactivated coins or TBs for a FTF prize. We leave coins, TB tags or money in some of our caches for FTF.

The best part of being the first person to find the cache is, the cache is still placed the way the CO intended the hide to be. The cache hasn't been moved since the owners left it. Oh can't forget the FRESH BLANK LOG :cool: .

If I give a prize at all, I like to designate it for the third or fourth to find, since they come to the cache for reasons other than the three initials or the first choice of trade items. I have used unactivated geocoins, a bobblehead, and other items that are out of the ordinary.

Edited by mulvaney

A 5-star puzzle cache in our area offered a $100 FTF prize, but only for 8 weeks. It was found 10 weeks later, so the FTFer only got a geocoin.

A couple other locals have left binoculars as FTF prizes.

I once left an unactivated TB as a consolation prize for the first person who DNFed the cache. (The camouflage is easy to spot. Accessing the log book is tricky.)

Edited by CanadianRockies

I left an official American League baseball as a FTF prize in a recent baseball themed puzzle cache. The FTF didn't take it. :laughing:

I once left a brand new Geocaching.com baseball type hat as a FTF prize. It lasted until the 3rd to find. Another time I left a new pair of binoculars and when I did a maint visit a few months later they were still in there.

I was at an LL Bean outlet and they were selling really nice hiking pants for $5 (their original catalog price was $45). Unfortunately none were in my size, but I bought a pair anyway and left them as a FTF prize (to the first person with a 32"inch waist and 30" inseam).

Hey, that's my size.

Wait, that was fifteen years ago.

:rolleyes:

I still want somebody to give me a nice, clear explanation as to why there should ever be a prize for the first person to find a cache. My mind boggles. They were the first. That was most likely their goal. They didn't do it for a prize... they did it for the reputation. Would somebody PLEASE explain to me why there should be more? It always feels more like a bribe to me than a prize. Trust me... you don't need to bribe those people. You hide it, they will find it.

I still want somebody to give me a nice, clear explanation as to why there should ever be a prize for the first person to find a cache. My mind boggles. They were the first. That was most likely their goal. They didn't do it for a prize... they did it for the reputation. Would somebody PLEASE explain to me why there should be more? It always feels more like a bribe to me than a prize. Trust me... you don't need to bribe those people. You hide it, they will find it.

Just for the heck of it. A house warming present. In my case, I noted that FTF would find a hoagie in the cache and better hurry so it would not get soggy. I thought it was funny. I also added a dreaded ALR for the FTF to write a log not about the variety of sandwich they chose. It seemed to make the first couple logs more interesting than "FTF TFTC".

Other than that, it is is not necessary. The thrill of knowing I beat everyone to the cache and got a blank log is reward enough.

It's just a little something extra from the CO. That's all nothing more. We don't put FTF prizes in all the caches we hide. Just when we feel like it.

And who would be "those" people. :bad:.............. :drama:

Why do they give Super Bowl rings to the winners? Nobody competes for the ring. It's just a nice bonus.

Ok, I really wasn't going to reply to anything until morning, but I'm going to. I REALLY thought I covered this in my original post, but since you require an explanation, I will offer it. Bear in mind that I mean no disrespect here - you obviously have far more of a rep around here than me.

I decided to offer an extra prize for the FTF because I have seen others do it. As a cache owner (plus a beginner cache owner), I am anxious for any kind of interaction. I have put CONSIDERABLE thought, time, and preparation into the placement of this cache, and the coupons that I had came at little cost to me (plus, I had lots of them). The habit around here seems to be P&G's - few minute walk, at best. You gotta LOOK for something else. Since I deliberately placed a 2/3 cache (and a LARGE, at that), I decided to motivate the local cachers with a bit of extra incentive.

It is not required, nor expected... Just something that I have chosen to do. When you expend time and energy to place a cache, you essentially place prizes in the cache, at least, I would assume so... SWAG is a prize. I'm simply offering something that need not be traded... just something cool to take.

Really don't see the harm. Again, I mean no disrespect. Everyone keeps mentioning "how they play the game" around them - but I don't see the relevance. If it's offered, and you don't play the game that way... Ignore it, right? Isn't that what your "integrity" has been preaching? :rolleyes:

Thanks to everyone for your replies thus far. :) I will reply a bit more tomorrow. For reference, here is the actual cache ID... it was just published tonight: GC2R65A

Knowschad, again, I'm sorry if I seem curt... This just wasn't supposed to be another one of "those" threads, know what I mean?

-- Edit to note container size, again.

Edited by CachinStrattons

Not that difficult to understand...its not a should or shouldn't thing. Just something the cache owner WANTS to do.

My take on FTF prizes is this: there are two possible reasons for placing an FTF prize.

The first is to get people to look for the cache. If placing a prize is necessary to entice people to look for the cache, maybe you should reconsider whether it should be placed at all.

The second is to encourage the competitive FTF game in your area. I submit that the self-evident negative impact of the FTF game makes that a poor decision.

Just my opinion, of course.

I'm a newbcake with only 71 finds and only one cache placed. I did do an FTF prize which were a few GC tokens as I recall. 3Doxies was the FTF and left me a stunning Geocoin as a welcome to the world of being a C/O. So the coolest thing I have ever received was a prize for leaving an FTF prize ! lol

I have only found 2 FTF's. Neither had prizes or SWAG. In both cases I was ecstatic to be the first as it was placed by the C/O exactly as he/she intended.

Sig items are likely one of the most desirable items. A geocoin, a pathtag, anything you make by hand or customize........with geocaching love !

Finally, don't worry about the "FTF Prizes stink" crowd. It's YOUR cache. If you want to go with an FTF prize, go for it. If not, run log only or just SWAG.

No matter which way you go, if you put some effort in to the hide, the cacher that writes in that log first is going to have a big smile !

Edited by JaxDog

It's just a little something extra from the CO. That's all nothing more. We don't put FTF prizes in all the caches we hide. Just when we feel like it.

And who would be "those" people. :bad:.............. :drama:

"Those people" would be those that are involved in the "First to Find Race", so I guess I made a racist comment. :lol:

I decided to offer an extra prize for the FTF because I have seen others do it.

Bingo! I think that's why most FTF prizes are put out there. Not because the FTF hound needs it to go after the cache.

Anyway... I wasn't expecting to bring this much controversy to your thread by expressing my opinion... sorry about that, and best of luck with your new cache!

I decided to offer an extra prize for the FTF because I have seen others do it.

Bingo! I think that's why most FTF prizes are put out there. Not because the FTF hound needs it to go after the cache.

Anyway... I wasn't expecting to bring this much controversy to your thread by expressing my opinion... sorry about that, and best of luck with your new cache!

Not your fault, I think the most controversial subjects on the board would be Power Trails/Records, Guns and FTF. Of the three, I think the MOST controversial is FTFs.

I include a FTF prize of some sort out of respect for those who enjoy that part of the hunt. I know it is not necessary but choose to do so because it's fun. I also know that If I didn't put anything in, that would be OK too.

I still want somebody to give me a nice, clear explanation as to why there should ever be a prize for the first person to find a cache. My mind boggles. They were the first. That was most likely their goal. They didn't do it for a prize... they did it for the reputation. Would somebody PLEASE explain to me why there should be more? It always feels more like a bribe to me than a prize. Trust me... you don't need to bribe those people. You hide it, wantedthey will find it.

I agree wholeheartedly

A blank log is all I ever wanted to see

I'm a newbcake with only 71 finds and only one cache placed. I did do an FTF prize which were a few GC tokens as I recall. 3Doxies was the FTF and left me a stunning Geocoin as a welcome to the world of being a C/O. So the coolest thing I have ever received was a prize for leaving an FTF prize ! lol

I have only found 2 FTF's. Neither had prizes or SWAG. In both cases I was ecstatic to be the first as it was placed by the C/O exactly as he/she intended.

Sig items are likely one of the most desirable items. A geocoin, a pathtag, anything you make by hand or customize........with geocaching love !

Finally, don't worry about the "FTF Prizes stink" crowd. It's YOUR cache. If you want to go with an FTF prize, go for it. If not, run log only or just SWAG.

No matter which way you go, if you put some effort in to the hide, the cacher that writes in that log first is going to have a big smile !

[/As a fellow newbie to the sport - I agree with your thoughts on this subject.

Edited by barra 103

My first ftf I got an unactivated geocoin. Was my favorite. . . made the mistake of putting it out in the wild in Boise. Disappeared after 2 caches.

Recently I scored a round of golf for an ftf that borders a popular course near my home.

All in all, the blank log is the best prize there ever will be.

I've only been FTF twice, neither of them had a special award and I didn't expect one. My first hide was published yesterday (April Fools Day), and for the first finder I left a small FTF certificate that I downloaded, printed, and laminated. It cost me nothing and may mean something to the FTF, and to commemorate April Fools day I also included for the FTF a fake winning lottery scratch off ticket.