"Private" Caches

LatonkaGal

This is a fairly strange question, but I don't see it addressed anywhere. I'm pretty new to geocaching, so maybe it's obvious to experienced cachers. I think I know the answer, but I want to check to be sure.

I work for a Girl Scout council with several properties. We obviously would not want to hide public geocaches at our program centers (official term for "camps" and other outdoor properties) because we wouldn't want strangers wandering around where girls sleep, play, learn etc.

I'm thinking about creating a closed Facebook Group for members of our council who are into geocaching - both teens and adults. I think we could have some fun supporting each other or even having two troops meeting to cache together in an area etc. I also think a "find a cache per county in our council" would be a neat internal challenge, especially since our council is now at least half the counties in the state!

If we set up a cache at each of our properties for our members only, would we have to find a way to share that info (using "notes" at the closed Facebook group for example) on our own, or is there some kind of "locked" system (other than premium members) at geocaching.com? I truly doubt there is such a feature because I think it probably conflicts with the overall goals of the site, but I would feel bad if I did not check and it was an option. If we do this private circuit of caches away from the site, obviously they would not show in the counts of caches found because they wouldn't be on the site, and that might disappoint some folks who are "numbers based."

is there some kind of "locked" system (other than premium members) at geocaching.com?

No, caches published on Geocaching.com must be available to the general public.

I think your facebook idea is a good one.

You may also be able to attach .gpx files to your Scout Council website. Though that would only work for areas that require log-in, if any.