Suggestions For Site Improvement

Lt617

I am not sure if this has been previously discussed. It would be of great help to be able to access a cache page via at least alphabetical order (within zip code area) or at most by name of cache site. This would be especially helpful with the locationless caches but also would be helpful for a regular cache site. You would not have to scroll page by page to log in a cache. You could go right to it via a search.

I know a search engine exists for travel bugs via name. The same system could be used for searching a cache site by name or a listing by an alphabetic letter or both. If necessary a unique ID number could be given to each cache site if the names are not unique enough. The unique ID number could start with a zip code (ie 96001-XXXXXX) to make the search easier and relating it to a zip code if necessary. The locationless caches could have a number like (99999-XXXXXXX).

Just a suggestion. I know it would be helpful and my thoughts are shared by others as well.

Thanks

quote:
Nobody will post agreeing with your idea, they'll just tell you to use pocket queries.

I think he wants to be able to log a find. Can you do this using Pocket Queries? If you've got GC1234 (from your Pocket Query, for instance, or a printout, or a waypoint), how can you most easily find the page to log the find? I use location nearest me, but I can see how that would be a problem if you were travelling.

I will amaze Mrs. Nazz by NOT touting either pocket queries or Watcher, because the inquirer is not yet a Charter Member, and seems to be asking about how to get to a cache page easily in order to log it.

The simple answer is that there are already unique ID numbers assigned to each cache, called the "waypoint". It begins with the letters "GC" and is found on each cache page, and also is used for naming caches that you download to your GPS using EasyGPS.

To search for a cache using its "GC number" (or, for that matter, by its name), go to the "Hide and Seek a Cache" Page and look for the box on the left hand side of the page.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

Some mornings, it just doesn't pay to chew through the leather straps. - Emo Phillips

Well, I'd like to see alittle improvement in the search page. If I type in "Tygart Lake" for example, it returns nothing. I cant just type in the name of an area, or place around the cache, EVEN though that name DOES appear in the cache description.

AND, I've tried a few times, but someone PLEASE explain, do I have to be a charter member for pocket queries? And , what are the distinct advantages of them? Im not really seeing what they do that the site doesnt.

Pocket queries rock. Pure and simple. They're a great benefit to supporting the site through a premium membership. (Yeah, you have to be a member to get PQ's.)

I am a decidedly non-techie... I don't own a cellphone, a PDA or a laptop... but I like getting my PQ's and browsing the results using "Watcher." To answer your question, using Watcher I can search the ENTIRE text of the cache for keywords like Tygart, NOT just the cache name, which could be less descriptive like "A River Runs Through it" or "Walk around the Lake."

Read some of the other posts on Watcher and Pocket Queries in this forum for other great examples. And others swear by their favorite add-on's just like I am a Watcher fan. I would write more but if I did, Mrs. Nazz would make fun of me.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

Some mornings, it just doesn't pay to chew through the leather straps. - Emo Phillips

I couldn't do without Pocket Querys.

I have a query setup to send me each day the caches within 100 miles that I haven't found and that I don't own. After I get the file I can look through it with GPX Watcher which allow me to search, sort, filter, etc the list of caches. After that I can use GPX Spinner to convert the gpx file into html. Then I use Plucker to send the html files to the Palm m515. Once everything is on the Palm, while out looking for caches, I have all the cache pages available for viewing and can sort them many different ways, search on them, view decrypted hints, and it also shows the nearest caches to the cache you are at.

Overall it's a really great system and I don't have to print cache pages any more unless there's a picture that I want to use. Everthing will work for even the cheapest Palms, although I wouldn't personally recommend the Palm Zire but you can get a good deal by looking around on the Internet or when places like Staples, Circuit City, etc have sales with rebates.

quote:
Originally posted by smithdw:

I couldn't do without Pocket Querys.

I have a query setup to send me each day the caches within 100 miles that I haven't found and that I don't own. After I get the file I can look through it with Watcher which allow me to search, sort, filter, etc the list of caches. After that I can use Spinner to convert the gpx file into html. Then I use Plucker to send the html files to the Palm m515. Once everything is on the Palm, while out looking for caches, I have all the cache pages available for viewing and can sort them many different ways, search on them, view decrypted hints, and it also shows the nearest caches to the cache you are at.

Overall it's a really great system and I don't have to print cache pages any more unless there's a picture that I want to use.

I second that recommendation. I have an old Palm Vx that I load up with cache info and I just stash it in the bottom of my daypack. If I need a hint or want to look up the nearest caches - voila!

Great programs (and kudos to the authors both for developing such great tools but also for sharing them!).

There is no reason for any individual to have a computer in his home. - Ken Olsen, President, Digital Equipment, 1977

I don't see how pocket queries is the answer here, but whatever. I think Mr. Snorz must be paid per pocket querie. That seems to be his answer for every question. "What's the best GPS to buy?" "Pocket Queries will tell you..."

Locationless caches are already sorted alphabetically, but that doesn't solve the problem. These caches, in my opinion, should be searchable by the object to be found.

The way a pocket query could be used is to setup one to send you the list of caches within 100 miles or whatever you select. When you get the file, save the attachment and run GPS Watcher and open the gpx file. The watcher program will let you sort the list in almost any way you want along with searching for keywords in the whole cache page. When you find the cache you want to log, click on the GCID (GCxxxx) number in the second column to bring up the cache page on the GC site. Then do your log entry as usual. Another benefit is by using watcher to look through caches, you are looking through a local file instead of the GC site, so the load on the site won't affect you, unless you click on the link to bring up the cache page on the site.

quote:
Originally posted by sbell111:

I don't see how pocket queries is the answer here, but whatever. I think Mr. Snorz must be paid per pocket querie. That seems to be his answer for every question. "What's the best GPS to buy?" "Pocket Queries will tell you..."

My intent is to parody those who answer with "Use pocket queries" whenver anybody suggests the slightest improvement to the site.

Oh, and by the way, have you tried pocket queries?

I use pocket queries every day. Helps to make the day go better...

Actually, sorting the caches by different criteria like you can do in GPX Watcher on the site would be nice sometimes. The main advantage of downloading the file and using GPX Watcher is that it's a lot faster and doesn't put any load in the GC.com web site.