Limited-Find Cache?

Dekaner

I would like to place a limited-find cache. Let me try to explain my madness without giving away my whole idea:

I know of a limited number of places/items/objects/etc. in the area that I would like people to find. Once found, I want them to post a photo of it and them to the log entry. (Exceptions will be made of course for those w/o digital cameras.) Because there are a finite number of these items (50 or so) I would like to close the cache once all have been found.

What do you think?

My real dilema in doing this is only - do finds still count after a cache has been archived?

Thanks in advance!

- Dekaner of Team KKF2A

Well I can answer one question ... yes finds do count even after the cache is archived ...

As for the other ... I've actually found a "one find" cache myself ... that once I logged it the owner archived it. So I don't see a problem ... with what you've spelled out so far ... kind of depends on those "mysterious objects" you refer to.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Co-founder of the "NC/VA GEO-HOG ASSOCIATION"

... when you absolutely have to find it first!

Okay, don't flame me too badly, this is only an idea so far!

Buffalo, NY had a fund-rasier in 2000 called 'Herd About Buffalo' where local artists painted 150 of these outdoor Buffalo sculputres, which were placed all around the city for the summer. (See http://www.herdaboutbuffalo.com)

They were then auctioned off to local companies and all proceeds donated to a local art museum and the Roswell Park Cancer Institute (I think.)

So, this ends up being a locationaless cache.

The website above lists all of the Buffaloes and a photo of what they look like. It does not, however, list what organization bought it and where it is now. Most companies have bought them and put them outside or in an atrium, etc. (I can think of about 5 I know where are off the top of my head.)

I am currently trying to get a list of where they all ended up from the original contacts now.

So in short - find and low a new Buffalo until all 150 are found. I'd update the cache page w/ the locations of each Buffalo that has been found.

So, what are everyone's thoughts? Good? Bad?

Most of the Buffalos are publically accessible and the other ones are in people's lobbies, etc. so they would have to be visited during business hours I suppose. I don't think the companies would mind if you told them you just wanted a photo of the Buffalo.

This of course can be used in Rochester and Syracuse who both have horses on display, in New Orleans where they had fishes, or in Washinton DC where they now have Elephants and Donkeys.

Other people would of course be free to use the same idea in their city. Of course if you steal my idea for the ones I've listed I will be forced to hunt you down and steal your GPS. (I always need an extra!)

- Dekaner of Team KKF2a (Hopefully not burnt to a crisp after posting this.)

[This message was edited by Dekaner on May 08, 2002 at 11:56 AM.]

Actually sounds kind of fun ... there's another cache similar ... but not limited ... in Raleigh NC and has to do with the wolf statues around town ...

Good luck on your cache!

----------------------------------------------------------------

Co-founder of the "NC/VA GEO-HOG ASSOCIATION"

... when you absolutely have to find it first!

This sounds like a great idea for the angel statues around Los Angeles (city of angels). Has this been done? or should it?

Check out...

Community of Angels

This would be a nice cache to have people find all of the angel sculptures around town and post a picture with themselves next to one.

Half my life is spent explaining to Christians why I am a deadhead. The other half is spent explaining to deadheads why I am a Christian.

-Dru Morgan www.theheavenlyhost.com

That's the exact idea I'm thinking of.

The angels are nice because they are all still outside while the Buffaloes are a little harder to find.

So, should we post these and see what the response is? I figure these caches would stay open for awhile, I don't think any of the caches in my area have logged 150 visits as of yet.

I was planning on using the coordinates for City Hall as you still have to enter in coordinates, locationless or not.

- Dekaner of Team KKF2A

Thanks for the link. What was interesting is that his was virtual by giving a bunch of the coordinates.

So should this be locationless where we leave it up to the people to find them? - or -

Do we make it virtual and post the first set of coordinates and try to 'encourage' others to post more? - or -

Maybe both?

- Dekaner of Team KKF2A

This is not different in spirit from many of the locationless caches out there. My 'For the Love of the Game' cache requests people to find all minor league ball parks. Parks cannot be logged twice. Therefore, there is a limited number of possible finds.

Sounds like fun!