Advice Please

Thanks guys for the quick response. This is exactly what i did, only the CO put a right snotty note on the cache page for what i did. I really do not care for such a reply, but what i did i was 99% sure was right, and i called a cardinal sin (bit strong maybe?). After the sweets were removed i left a geocoin,as did my son who was caching with me. We also took nothing else, but left kinder egg toy, complete in its yellow case (minus chocolate) which cost more than the sweets did. I've seen chewed caches before, there not nice to find :(

Thanks guys for the quick response. This is exactly what i did, only the CO put a right snotty note on the cache page for what i did. I really do not care for such a reply, but what i did i was 99% sure was right, and i called a cardinal sin (bit strong maybe?). After the sweets were removed i left a geocoin,as did my son who was caching with me. We also took nothing else, but left kinder egg toy, complete in its yellow case (minus chocolate) which cost more than the sweets did. I've seen chewed caches before, there not nice to find :(

Absolutely correct to remove the sweets, we always do. Your wording was perhaps a little strong, 'horrified' but in our opinion and that of the cache-hiding guidelines, you did the right thing. :D

Post Haste, yes my wording was maybe a bit strong, and i freely admit that now, and will happily apologise to the CO for that. But having walked the route of 20 caches, plus a bonus, which i must say was a joy to walk, well thought out, and the variety of caches was a pleasure to find. The end result left a sour taste in what was a good day

Personally if I find food items in a cache I remove them and dispose of them. If I find other inappropriate perishable items (e.g. condoms) I dispose of them. If I find non-perishable but inappropriate items I'll remove them and either keep them or dump them. If I have something on hand to trade for them I'll put it in the cache, but if not I'll still take the inappropriate thing away.

I've only ever found three penknives in caches and all three were badly rusted, so all three went in the nearest bin.

I have to say, also, that clearing out a cache which has been deliberately stocked ("the whole container was full of sweets") is a little bit different from removing a packet that somebody's absent-mindedly left there. It doesn't affect the fact that it's a bad idea to have left them in the first place, but it suggests the motivation was more than just carelessness - which in turn points to a more diplomatic approach.

I'm pretty easy-going, but in the cache owner's place I think I'd have been annoyed about being "corrected" in public. A private note to explain your concerns would have done.

cheering_girls-ani-tbg.gif

Looks like you linked to a picture on a site that doesn't allow external linking of their pictures.

ETA: curious, it shows the picture rather than a "stop thief" banner now.

I've only ever seen the "Stop Thief" logo !

Rgds, Andy

I know this is now veering way off the topic of this topic but I haven't seen the "stop thief" logo yet! In every one of the above posts, including the quoted ones, I see only the cheering line-up of people!

(Are you lot playing an April Fool on me? <_< )

MrsB

Edited by The Blorenges

I know this is now veering way off the topic of this topic but I haven't seen the "stop thief" logo yet! In every one of the above posts, including the quoted ones, I see only the cheering line-up of people!

Hold down Ctrl and press F5, and I bet you'll see it.

Conversely, for people who have only ever seen the Stop Thief sign, go to http://spankeesyuck.com (and click "click here, do not refresh" if you see it). Hold down Ctrl and press F5 while looking at *that* page, then come back here. The signs will have magically changed into cheering people.

I wouldn't bore you with this, were it not for the following cute fact. The technical term for what's happening is... caching!