Trading rules

I!

I've had a couple of cases recently where people have taken swag and left a geocoin. The cachers concerned are relatively inexperienced; I'm sure the "theft" was unintentional.

I'd like to leave an explanatory note in the cache lid. The GAGB has this in their geocachers' code of conduct:

If you exchange trade items, trade kindly: Consider what future finders would like and leave something equal to or better than what you take.

I think this would be better for my purposes:

"Swag" (toys, stickers, etc):

These may be traded for items of similar value in this cache. Please trade fairly.

Trackable items (geocoins, travel bugs):

You can move trackables freely. Do not trade them for swag: they have zero "swag value".

What do you reckon? Any better wording would be appreciated.

Edited by I!

I've had a couple of cases recently where people have taken swag and left a geocoin. The cachers concerned are relatively inexperienced; I'm sure the "theft" was unintentional.

I'd like to leave an explanatory note in the cache lid. The GAGB has this in their geocachers' code of conduct:

If you exchange trade items, trade kindly: Consider what future finders would like and leave something equal to or better than what you take.

I think this would be better for my purposes:

"Swag" (toys, stickers, etc):

These may be traded for items of similar value in this cache. Please trade fairly.

Trackable items (geocoins, travel bugs):

You can move trackables freely. Do not trade them for swag: they have zero "swag value".

What do you reckon? Any better wording would be appreciated.

I have no issue with the wording, but I don't think many cachers (even newbies) are likely to read a note in the cache lid.

Assuming people do read the note (not a given, as someone already said) this wouldn't really work. As a new geocacher (when trackable icons consisted of a TB and the very rare yellow Jeep and generic geocoin) I was thrilled to find a geocoin. Even now I like to find a geocoin, especially if it's an icon I don't already have. So a geocoin would easily pass the "what future finders would like" test.

It would be better to say something along the lines that trackables aren't considered geoswag and so replacing a piece of swag with a coin is frowned upon. It would be better still if something like that was more prominent in the "all about geocaching" bumpf - I don't recall ever seeing anything to that effect when I signed up.

i very rarely take anything out of a cache except maybe a TB or geocoin but always leave a phone charm thing and a pokerchip or if i have really enjoyed a cache an unactivated geocoin. i always think that if a child gets to the cache and there is nothing in it they will be so disappointed.

i was reading about a cache near home where the owner had been to check on it and restock it to find a dirty servete had been left who would do such a thing?

It would be better to say something along the lines that trackables aren't considered geoswag and so replacing a piece of swag with a coin is frowned upon.

Indeed. Hence my alternative two-part text.

I have the following statement on my cache pages.

Travel Bugs are the property of the person who has released them. Therefore I do not count them as a swap item.

Please DO NOT take an item in exchange for any Travel Bugs that you may wish to leave in this cache.

It does appear to work?

I agree with you wanting to leave a note to explain to those who may not know better.

I never take anything from a cache unless I pop something back in and agree we should fill the caches with good swag for the kids. (even big kids)

but "Theft" .... isn't that a bit of a strong word to use....even unintentional Theft? :unsure:

we all have our own opinion on things....wording is EVERYTHING![/b]
In my view, it would not be theft if it was a genuine misunderstanding, but in principle it probably would become a theft if the taker subsequently became aware of the situation and failed to surrender the coin at that point.

The reason I say "in principle" is because in practice some might consider the owner of a released coin as being so reckless with the safety of his property as to have given up any rights in it. Personally I would like to think this is not the case, but I can understand that many might.

Rgds, Andy

we all have our own opinion on things....wording is EVERYTHING![/b]
In my view, it would not be theft if it was a genuine misunderstanding, but in principle it probably would become a theft if the taker subsequently became aware of the situation and failed to surrender the coin at that point.

Rgds, Andy

I'm sorry if I got the wrong end of the stick from the origianal post but:

(quote) I've had a couple of cases recently where people have taken swag and left a geocoin.(un-quote)

This led me to believe the thief took some swag and only left a geocoin?

I would agree that if a cacher took a geocoin out of a cache knowing this coin is meant to be moved on, yet he/ she kept it? ....that would to me, be Theft.

Soooo ...

I'm sorry if I got it wrong but I thought this post was about a cacher that stole 'Swag' and left a only a 'Geocoin' instead of a whistle/ rubber/ broken toy?

Sorry if I sound horrible but lets face it, not all cachers leave anything of more or equal value swag do they?

FR> Sorry if I sound horrible but lets face it, not all cachers leave anything of more or equal value swag do they?

That's not horrible, just defeatist. Many cachers think that the case in point (swag out, geocoin in) is a fair trade. It's not. So: educate them. We've had a few suggestions for how to do that now. I rather suspect this thread has run its course.

Now do you think you could stop posting in bold?

I CAN'T REALLY SAY I'VE EVER DIFFERENTIATED BETWEEN COINS, BUGS AND OTHER TRADE ITEMS - SO I'VE PROBABLY LEFT A COIN AND TAKEN SOMETHING ELSE AT ONE TIME OR ANOTHER. AS THE SOMETHING ELSE THESE DAYS IS USUALLY WORTH NO MORE THAN ABOUT 20p, I'VE NOT GIVEN IT MUCH THOUGHT. IT NEVER OCCURRED TO ME THAT SOMEONE WOULD CONSIDER ME A THIEF AS UP TO NOW I'D NEVER STOLEN ANYTHING IN MY LIFE. BUT WELL DONE. IT'S A FAIR COP GUV, AS THEY SAY. I CAN'T THINK OF ANY SPECIFIC TIMES I'VE DONE THIS, BUT Groundspeak HAVE MY DETAILS IF YOU WANT TO GET IN TOUCH WITH THE FEDS. NOT GOT ANYTHING PLANNED OTHER THAN WORK OVER THE NEXT WEEK OR SO, BUT WOULD PREFER THEM NOT TO CALL NEXT TUESDAY EVENING AS I'LL BE WATCHING SPURS PLAY REAL MADRID. :rolleyes:

FR> Sorry if I sound horrible but lets face it, not all cachers leave anything of more or equal value swag do they?

That's not horrible, just defeatist. Many cachers think that the case in point (swag out, geocoin in) is a fair trade. It's not. So: educate them. We've had a few suggestions for how to do that now. I rather suspect this thread has run its course.

Now do you think you could stop posting in bold?

Unfortunately geocachers, like any popular activity, are made up of a cross section of people. That means you have a lot of good people out there and a few scumbags that ruin it for others. Being new I am trying very, very hard to put myself in the former group and stay there. Wish me luck.

Edited by LagerHead

I CAN'T REALLY SAY I'VE EVER DIFFERENTIATED BETWEEN COINS, BUGS AND OTHER TRADE ITEMS - SO I'VE PROBABLY LEFT A COIN AND TAKEN SOMETHING ELSE AT ONE TIME OR ANOTHER. AS THE SOMETHING ELSE THESE DAYS IS USUALLY WORTH NO MORE THAN ABOUT 20p, I'VE NOT GIVEN IT MUCH THOUGHT. IT NEVER OCCURRED TO ME THAT SOMEONE WOULD CONSIDER ME A THIEF AS UP TO NOW I'D NEVER STOLEN ANYTHING IN MY LIFE. BUT WELL DONE. IT'S A FAIR COP GUV, AS THEY SAY. I CAN'T THINK OF ANY SPECIFIC TIMES I'VE DONE THIS, BUT Groundspeak HAVE MY DETAILS IF YOU WANT TO GET IN TOUCH WITH THE FEDS. NOT GOT ANYTHING PLANNED OTHER THAN WORK OVER THE NEXT WEEK OR SO, BUT WOULD PREFER THEM NOT TO CALL NEXT TUESDAY EVENING AS I'LL BE WATCHING SPURS PLAY REAL MADRID. :rolleyes:

:laughing: I agree and a very Useful response if you ask me... :rolleyes: