Would people do this?

Hey, I'm thinking of making a geocache with a 10-15 litre container and it will possibly be a TB Hotel, anyway, my mum reads alot of books, and sometimes they sit there not being used for years, if I was to put these in the geocache to trade or even take would many people do this? Would there be any problems doing this?, another idea is to make a TB that is attached to a small novel or book that has something to do with the area it originatednin or something, so people could read then move it on, would people do this swell?

Thanks for any replies, just came into my mind this morning so thought I would ask the community :)

Hmmm books in a cache and attached to a TB. Sure you can do it. But when the cache starts leaking (and it will its just a matter of time) the books will be destroyed. As for a TB the book wouldn't last long for the same reason. Anything you attach to a TB should be durable cause its gonna go through hell.

I would so hate to have to try to move a tb attached to a book. It's super hard to find caches that fit the regular sized tb's much of the time.

That being said, I have found a few books in caches. They were all ammo cans and event hen the books were a tad on the damp side from condensation. But I totally enjoyed picking up the books and reading them.

Hmmm books in a cache and attached to a TB. Sure you can do it. But when the cache starts leaking (and it will its just a matter of time) the books will be destroyed. As for a TB the book wouldn't last long for the same reason. Anything you attach to a TB should be durable cause its gonna go through hell.

Thanks for the reply, I guess there is no harm in trying? And yeh I was thinking that about the TB

A book cache would be labeled as a theme or themed cache. They usually are well-received. It should be spelled out in the cache description that it IS a themed cache. But, be forewarned, you cannot dictate what will/will not be placed in the cache (try if you want, it won't work).

Locally, we have a number of theme caches. One dedicated to spoons (you cannot fathom how many spoons are in there and pass through there), one dedicated to keyrings, to trade/take/place such things, another devoted to CDs/DVDs -- liked by travelers to trade "books on CD" -- occasionally, cassettes find their way into it. Nobody objects.

EDIT: Previous comments about water are more than correct. If doing books, the use of an ammo can is nearly a MUST!

Edited by Gitchee-Gummee

A book cache would be labeled as a theme or themed cache. They usually are well-received. It should be spelled out in the cache description that it IS a themed cache. But, be forewarned, you cannot dictate what will/will not be placed in the cache (try if you want, it won't work).

Locally, we have a number of theme caches. One dedicated to spoons (you cannot fathom how many spoons are in there and pass through there), one dedicated to keyrings, to trade/take/place such things, another devoted to CDs/DVDs -- liked by travelers to trade "books on CD" -- occasionally, cassettes find their way into it. Nobody objects.

I've seen a few caches drift away from the themes. Except a keychain one seemed to stay pretty on track. I would love to see a CD themed cache as I have a Patti Labelle/Chaka Khan CD just needing to be shared with other cachers.

Just another question, if I want to do a tb hotel and library thing in one cache could I put 2 big containers hidden together, 1 labelled TB HOTEL and the other LIBRARY?

Mmmmmmm....

Might be problematic if they are two caches. Remember.......... 528' apart.

EDIT: I suppose though, if you wanna call two containers as one cache.

Edited by Gitchee-Gummee

Just another question, if I want to do a tb hotel and library thing in one cache could I put 2 big containers hidden together, 1 labelled TB HOTEL and the other LIBRARY?

Mmmmmmm....

Yeh I mean 2 container side by side and class it as 1 cache

Mmmmmmm....

Yeh I mean 2 container side by side and class it as 1 cache

Weld them together. No, seriously. Otherwise, I can see one half going missing, or getting put in the wrong place.

Just be prepared for the inevitable disappointment. This was our favorite book cache:

Summerhaven Public Library

It was well hidden in a remote area and someone took the whole thing (it was as big as a medium size cooler) :(

That would be my fear about a combination book cache/TB hotel. Generally speaking, bigger caches are more likely to get muggled, including all the travel bugs and geocoins inside.

I'd suggest creating a bigger cache for books and a separate, reasonably well hidden, regular-sized cache as a TB hotel.

Check out the website www.bookcrossing.com. You register your book and then you'll get a unique number on a label. You put the label onto the cover of the book and place the book out in the wild, maybe on a park bench. Someone picks it up, reads it, logs it and sends it on its way around the world. Just another way to share books.

King Hubi

This looks like a really fun idea. Might have to try this with some of my books that are sitting around collecting dust!

The best book cache I have found was an ammobox in a draw in the Mojave Desert where it rarely rains.

I once attached a TB tag to a spiral bound logbook that was taken from an archived moving cache.

I named the TB "Lost & Found Lives On". People who find the TB are welcome to add their log to the book and pass it on. Putting several books in a gallon Ziplock or 1 book in a quart helps keep them dry if the condensation is a problem.

another idea is to make a TB that is attached to a small novel or book that has something to do with the area it originated in or something, so people could read then move it on

I like the idea, as long as the book's size is reasonably small. A local geocacher attached a TB to a moderate-sized photo album and invited geocachers to add pictures of themselves. I loved the idea. Unfortunately, because of its size, it has been moved by only five geocachers in the past 18 months.

I've seen a few caches double-containered before, and that's an option. Typically, it'll be an outer container that's durable, but not intended to be waterproof. Moisture can enter, but exit easily enough. The inner container is waterproof, but maybe less durable to UV and/or freeze/thaw cycles. The ones I've seen using this method tend to be pretty dry on the inside even in my local hot/humid climate.

another idea is to make a TB that is attached to a small novel or book that has something to do with the area it originated in or something, so people could read then move it on

I like the idea, as long as the book's size is reasonably small. A local geocacher attached a TB to a moderate-sized photo album and invited geocachers to add pictures of themselves. I loved the idea. Unfortunately, because of its size, it has been moved by only five geocachers in the past 18 months.

You know, the cachers could have just uploaded the pictures to the TB page...

I like the book TB idea. May do that with one of my Asimov books. Make sure to put it is a good ziplock to keep it dry. Encourage finders to inspect the bag and replace as needed.

Bookcrossing is a good idea if you want books to travel. They tend to disappear more often than travelbugs however, so be prepared for that... The people on that site are quite good at packaging books safely before releasing them outside, so you might get a few pointers in the forums there. I like ziplocks, one book in each.

I think if you want two containers you could use a third large camoed container of some kind that they are both hidden in. That way people should realise that they're meant to stay together. Or why not two caches, one book cache and one TB hotel? That is if you can find the room. Or it could be constructed as a multi with coords to the TB-hotel in the library cache.

Hey, I'm thinking of making a geocache with a 10-15 litre container and it will possibly be a TB Hotel, anyway, my mum reads alot of books, and sometimes they sit there not being used for years, if I was to put these in the geocache to trade or even take would many people do this? Would there be any problems doing this?, another idea is to make a TB that is attached to a small novel or book that has something to do with the area it originatednin or something, so people could read then move it on, would people do this swell?

Thanks for any replies, just came into my mind this morning so thought I would ask the community :)

I'd do it in a heartbeat. There was a cache around here that catered to books at one time. Not sure if it's still here or not. Lived in a RV and travelled for year and half. Almost everyplace we stayed had a book trade area. Would have been more fun as TB's.

There's a book swap cache near me. According to the site, it's in need of maintenance. Not sure what kind of container it is. But I thought it was a totally cool idea when I first saw that it was out there. If you can think of a way to keep everything mostly dry, I say go for it!