Anyone use a PDA w/wireless Internet?

Swagger

I use a Kyocera PalmOS based phone, which has an HTML browser built in. Yesterday is the first time I've tried accessing the GC website via my phone since they changed the search results page.

For some reason, the actual results are missing from the results page. I see everything up to and including the table headings, ending with Last Found, and immediately following that is "Distances measured in miles", followed by the rest of the bottom of the page.

When I pull up the page in IE and look at the source, I don't see anything that's so broken that it shouldn't display in my phone's browser. I expected to see the table being built by some javascript or something, which my phone wouldn't be able to handle, but that part of the page is pure html.

The only thing I can think of is that they've implemented another filter to keep the script kiddies from mining the site. If that's the case, could Big J et al PLEASE allow the following browser type access:

Mozilla/2.0 (compatible; Elaine/1.0)

That's what my phone's browser identifies itself as.

I've tried a Lat/Long search (yesterday), a zip code search (today) and a waypoint search. The waypoint search took me to the proper cache page, but the other two (any time a list was being displayed) appeared as described above.

Has anyone else seen this or other, similar problems since they made the big change a few weeks ago?

--

Pehmva!

Random quote:

sigimage.php

Details of my Set-Up:

AT&T Wireless Nokia 6310i (GSM/GPRS)

Palm M515 with Palm SDIO Bluetooth card

Using "EudoraWeb" browser

The Palm will make the data connection with the Nokia via IR also but Bluetooth is easier since it doesn't require pointing them at each other.

The EudoraWeb browser works well enough on Geocaching.com but it doesn't look very pretty. I'm able to look up caches and actually log a cache in the field.

I tried the Avantgo browser first but it doesn't work on geocaching.com at all.

Can anyone suggest a better browser? The eudoraweb browser is a bit limiting when it comes to other sites. There's no way to load graphics at all and it truncates long pages with no way to load the remainder.

I posted a suggestion in another thread to actually make the site WAP accessible. Then anyone with a web enabled phone could access the site in the field.

Verizon includes the OmniSky browser in their Internet software package. I don't know if it's available via retail channels, but it works about as well as I'd expect. It shows graphics reasonably well. There's also an option to show them at various grayscale levels (don't know if it has this option on a color unit), or to not show them at all. I keep the graphics off unless absolutely necessary.

They also have a WAP browser, but I never use it. The browser's a pain in the arse and WAP is a protocol that never should have been invented. The ONLY thing that WAP had going for it was the concept of a "deck" of "cards" (pages) being downloaded, instead of separate network requests for each page. CHTML (Compact HTML) is a much better option for mobiles and is much easier to accomodate on the development side if you're trying to make a full-featured site that also has mobile access.

Wow. I sort of went off there, didn't I... Anyhow, you might want to check out OmniSky. There's also always http://software.palm.com/ ....

--

Pehmva!

Random quote:

sigimage.php