Most caches found in a day: what's your record? :)

Darned cats. You just have to do better than a dog, don't you?

So, tell us something we don't know.

For me: 30 on 6/11/2008. I'm not into long days of geocaching. I'm happy with 7. (Did 5 today, with 2 DNFs.) But we were out that day with my brother, Godzilla Bird, working on the Maine DeLorme Challenge. There's another C&D there. And there. And there. Okay, as long as we get in for dinner by 6. Will I ever attempt 60 in a day? No way! That stops being fun.

We found 1157 in one 24 hour run. We also found 824, and 566 on 2 other runs. However, the most caches we found NOT in a row, was 413 near Denver, in one day. A normal day for us is around 70 caches in daylight.

1157 in 24 hours is almost 1 per minute (48.2 / hour). How do you travel 528 feet per minute while caching? Call me confused...

That's 6 MPH. On a road where there is an identical cache every 528 feet, it's not impossible.

For a couple years, my record was 10 in a day, from a group hike in a local park on New Year's Day. Recently, I found 12 in a day, from a group "evil cache run" that was organized to find some of the very well-hidden suburban caches around here. Not that all of the caches we found that day fell into that category, but several of them did, and we had a great time.

The most I've done in one day is 55 caches, walking about 16 miles.

About half the caches were in one long linear park. Of the others, some were in other parks and some were urban caches found while walking between the parks.

And not a single cut and paste log entry.

18 in about 5 hours on a day off from work. This included 3 DNF's and 14 DNL's (Did Not Look). The DNL's were ones that I arrived at the parking locations, but due to muggle activity, chose not to even search for the cache. Sometimes when a lone man arrives at a park where Moms and their pre-schoolers are using the playground, it's best just to move on to the next cache.

79 all by bike, on what sounds like the same or similar trail that Mr Yuck rode. 45 kilometres round trip, the last 26 of which was in a total downpour, in late October.

You're going to make me convert Kilometers? No, I actually found what you did pretty quickly. I've been on the rails to trails you were on, but pre-power trail, for a couple of caches. I did Brantford, more specifically NE of the City.

We found 1157 in one 24 hour run. We also found 824, and 566 on 2 other runs. However, the most caches we found NOT in a row, was 413 near Denver, in one day. A normal day for us is around 70 caches in daylight.

1157 in 24 hours is almost 1 per minute (48.2 / hour). How do you travel 528 feet per minute while caching? Call me confused...

those are power trails and which they leap frog or swap out caches.

I refuse to do those because that is not what caching is about to me. Caching is seeking them out while enjoying and exploring whats around you. Those are just for those who want numbers fast.

My personal best I think is 187 and that was with two friends driving 60 miles doing series and Geoart caches plus plain caching. And kept our sanity.

Edited by jellis

You know what I love about some of the responses to this OP ? They're honest ! This is just my opinion, I think A LOT of cachers SERIOUSLY stretch the truth about their finds per day. I don't know why and I really don't want to know why because I think it's sad and honestly, I feel sorry for them.

"A day," of caching for some is 2 hours or 4 hours or 6 or 8. For others it might be 10 or 12 or 16 OR 24.

On our best "day," of caching we found 61 caches in 8 hours and that was only due to meticulous planning and a hand drawn map. In my opinion, meticulous planning is the only way to get that many caches in that amount of time. It was just over the border into Indiana. 56 of those 61 caches were part of a PnG series. These were NOT PnG's that were all spaced 528' apart. These 56 PnG's were spread out over a 10 mile radius. We did our homework and made sure they were all recently found.

Approximately 30 minutes of the "day," was spent at the 1st cache we stopped at which was a 3/3, 2 weeks old, that hadn't been found yet ! It was a .4 round trip walk which took up most of the time because I found the cache in about 3 minutes, first place I looked after climbing to the tip of the huge fallen tree. So that's 57.

58 was another FTF on a cache that was published that day. Strangely, the other new cache next to it, had been found. Why didn't the FTF'ers on that one go after this one ? Answer: That one was in the parking lot. The one we got FTF on was a .1 walk ( oh no. not a walk ) down the path. 59 was the one in the parking lot and 60-61 elude me at this moment.

Anyway, don't get all ooh-ahh when you see cachers state they, "found 100 caches today," or, "I found 200 caches today." My favorite claim ever is the 1,021 finds in 13 hours ! I don't believe that for 1 second. Even if the 1,021 caches were spaced 528' apart and there were 1,021 people standing along the roadside at each cache site with the logsheet in their hand, ready for you to sign, you still couldn't get 1,021 caches in 13 hours ! The claim was 1 cache every 43 SECONDS ! This is a fantasy. You couldn't even drive the 528' to the next cache in 43 seconds ! Your GPSr wouldn't work that fast. You're not going to stop your vehicle in the exact spot. If caches are placed that close to eachother you're either going to overshoot GZ or be short. THAT takes time. THEN you have to get out, find GZ, find the cache, open the container, unroll or unfold the logsheet, sign your name, reroll or refold it, put it back in the container, put the lid back on, rehide it, get back in the car and get to the next GZ in 43 seconds ??? NOT POSSIBLE !

We timed ourselves once with a group of PNG's down a country road that were spaced 528' apart. C drove, I jumped out. He timed all of them with a stopwatch starting when we left GZ of the previous cache. 4 of the 8 times I found the cache in the very first place I looked so those are the times we used to average. Best time of those 4 found in the first place I looked: 1 minute-13 seconds. Worst time: 1 minute-38 seconds.

1,021 caches found 43 seconds per cache ? NOT POSSIBLE. When these numbers are questioned they say, "See our profile page for stats." You go to the profile page and it's a bunch of graphs and bars etc... Who couldn't create those ? Put some numbers in. Create the graphs. That doesn't prove anything.

If I told you I went to....Timbucktu to do a 1,000 cache series and I found all 1,000 in 13 hours but you found out I stayed in Timbucktu for 4-5 days. Wouldn't it be more likely that I actually found those 1,000 caches in 4 OR 5 DAYS and NOT 13 HOURS ? What would you think I did with the other 4.5 days ? You know I cached ! I'm obsessed with caching/numbers. That's why I went all the way to Timbucktu ! I flew all the way to Timbucktu for numbers ! Do you really think I went sightseeing the other 4.5 days ?

I refuse to do those because that is not what caching is about to me. Caching is seeking them out while enjoying and exploring whats around you. Those are just for those who want numbers fast.

My personal best I think is 187 and that was with two friends driving 60 miles doing series and Geoart caches plus plain caching. And kept our sanity.

... My favorite claim ever is the 1,021 finds in 13 hours ! I don't believe that for 1 second. Even if the 1,021 caches were spaced 528' apart and there were 1,021 people standing along the roadside at each cache site with the logsheet in their hand, ready for you to sign, you still couldn't get 1,021 caches in 13 hours ! The claim was 1 cache every 43 SECONDS ! This is a fantasy. You couldn't even drive the 528' to the next cache in 43 seconds ! Your GPSr wouldn't work that fast. You're not going to stop your vehicle in the exact spot. If caches are placed that close to eachother you're either going to overshoot GZ or be short. THAT takes time. THEN you have to get out, find GZ, find the cache, open the container, unroll or unfold the logsheet, sign your name, reroll or refold it, put it back in the container, put the lid back on, rehide it, get back in the car and get to the next GZ in 43 seconds ??? NOT POSSIBLE !

We timed ourselves once with a group of PNG's down a country road that were spaced 528' apart. C drove, I jumped out. He timed all of them with a stopwatch starting when we left GZ of the previous cache. 4 of the 8 times I found the cache in the very first place I looked so those are the times we used to average. Best time of those 4 found in the first place I looked: 1 minute-13 seconds. Worst time: 1 minute-38 seconds.

1,021 caches found 43 seconds per cache ? NOT POSSIBLE. When these numbers are questioned they say, "See our profile page for stats." You go to the profile page and it's a bunch of graphs and bars etc... Who couldn't create those ? Put some numbers in. Create the graphs. That doesn't prove anything.

If I told you I went to....Timbucktu to do a 1,000 cache series and I found all 1,000 in 13 hours but you found out I stayed in Timbucktu for 4-5 days. Wouldn't it be more likely that I actually found those 1,000 caches in 4 OR 5 DAYS and NOT 13 HOURS ? What would you think I did with the other 4.5 days ? You know I cached ! I'm obsessed with caching/numbers. That's why I went all the way to Timbucktu ! I flew all the way to Timbucktu for numbers ! Do you really think I went sightseeing the other 4.5 days ?

While I will agree that there are a lot of Power Trail 'cachers' that use 'creative licence' with the standard geocaching methods, some cachers play by the normal rules. It is widely accepted on these forums that 'ventura_kids' (among others) claim is legitimate (no leapfrogging, no cache moving etc.) If you want to call shenanigans on these claims, there are plenty of other threads where vigorous debate has occurred (http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=261055 is a good one). We don't need these tired old arguments rehashed in every thread...

... My favorite claim ever is the 1,021 finds in 13 hours ! I don't believe that for 1 second. Even if the 1,021 caches were spaced 528' apart and there were 1,021 people standing along the roadside at each cache site with the logsheet in their hand, ready for you to sign, you still couldn't get 1,021 caches in 13 hours ! The claim was 1 cache every 43 SECONDS ! This is a fantasy. You couldn't even drive the 528' to the next cache in 43 seconds ! Your GPSr wouldn't work that fast. You're not going to stop your vehicle in the exact spot. If caches are placed that close to eachother you're either going to overshoot GZ or be short. THAT takes time. THEN you have to get out, find GZ, find the cache, open the container, unroll or unfold the logsheet, sign your name, reroll or refold it, put it back in the container, put the lid back on, rehide it, get back in the car and get to the next GZ in 43 seconds ??? NOT POSSIBLE !

While I will agree that there are a lot of Power Trail 'cachers' that use 'creative licence' with the standard geocaching methods, some cachers play by the normal rules. It is widely accepted on these forums that 'ventura_kids' (among others) claim is legitimate (no leapfrogging, no cache moving etc.) If you want to call shenanigans on these claims, there are plenty of other threads where vigorous debate has occurred (http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=261055 is a good one). We don't need these tired old arguments rehashed in every thread...

I wish we didn't have too do the bolded bit, but we were told to by Jeremy. OK not technically every thread, but to keep arguing in the forums.

Edited by M 5

26. All around a college campus. A couple series were involved. Would've had a couple more if not for DNFs.

Had a day last month where I got 25, with 2 DNFs (one of them likely missing). Lots of driving around on that one. Plus a NGS Benchmark find, at least a dozen Waymark visits, and 2 new Waymarks I created (a mural & a ACoE benchmark).

Edited by Joshism

22. I wasn't even aware it was going to be a best day at the time, but remember it. After spending half of the day hiking and caching, I was playing just-one-more up some side trail. I'd checked the time for sunset, which would give me roughly 25 minutes to get to the car. Then I remembered that, unlike my local parks, the sign at the entrance to this one stated that they locked the gates at 7pm. Suddenly, the remaining return time was 8 minutes.

I live more than 50 miles away; my transport being behind a locked gate would not be a good thing. One mile out running for the parking lot, I trip and ruin my knee tasting the trail dirt. Still hit the car only 4 minutes after 7. Luckily, the rangers allow for the inevitable latelings.

There are a lot more caches in that park now; next time I had better start in the morning.

Several different stats for me, because the situations were all different:

Most in a day: 231 Why? We were attempting the power trail (we're bad powertrail cachers, didn't even finish half the trail, probably won't do another one)

Most in a day, driving: 40-ish?

Most in a day, non-power trail and without a vehicle (on foot): 51

That's me :)

21 just yesterday; I did a drive from Sydney to Canberra and back in the one day; cached all the way there and alllllll the way back! :anibad:

I found that I just couldn't stop; for the last 4 or so hours I was promising myself "just one more" :blink: well, the next cache was just so interesting that I just had to do ONE MORE.... :grin:

Edited by jmandea on patrol

On a power trail! :D As for 413 in Denver, I believe it, that's some saturated urban caching there :) That's where we started caching.

Edited by nymphnsatyr

Just checked my stats, 6 in one day, 2 years ago. Amazed (but not doubtful) at the numbers coming out here.

With 3 children 5 years and under, a demanding job, just going caching for 1 or 2 is a success. Getting 3 or more in a day is huge.