Locationless problem

Captain Morgan

icon_confused.gif

Hi !

How do you search for locationless caches that are marked only as virtual caches ? There are many of them in the geocaching.com database, see for example

Väderkvarnar ( = Windmills) ( http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=27290 ) or Smoke Report ( http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=20738 ). They are both definately locationless caches, but neither of them can be found from the list of locationless caches. And there are many more caches like these two. icon_frown.gif

I don't.

Don't get me wrong. I enjoy the occasional locationless cache. I haven't searched for any in a couple of months because it is way too time consuming to go through all the cache pages to figure out what is to be found and therefore whether I am interested in searching. As evidenced by another current thread, Jeremy has expressed interest in solving this problem.

This, of course, doesn't answer your question. Currently, there is no way to search for locationless caches that are posted as virts. If any of these are identified, the cache owner should convert them to locationless (or they should be archived).

Unfortunately, our cache doesn't show up in the list of Locationless caches since it's also a regular cache and I prefer to let people know about the real cache here in West Virginia.

I tried to separate the Locationless portion of this cache into a separate cache a while back, but that wasn't approved, so I kept this one as a dual purpose cache.

Still, a good number of people have learned of the cache and seem to enjoy logging their car's milestones.

quote:
Originally posted by Man In The Wild:

Thanks Web-ling. I had thought about doing that, but by then I wasn't sure about asking everyone to move their logs. Did you have any problems (complaints?) about people having to move their logs?

No problems at all. Everyone had them moved within a week or so. There were only 5 or 6 logs on the physical cache. If someone had not moved their log, I wasn't going to worry about it. I figured it really didn't matter one way or the other which cache was logged, since the coords for the physical cache also worked on the locationless.

25021_1200.gif