High Sensitivity GPS

Your 60CSx IS a high sensitivity GPSr and should be nearly as accurate as any of the new ones. "High sensitivity" means that the unit is WAAS enabled, and the 60CSx has this, although you should check the settings to be sure it is actually turned on. Also, make sure you have the latest firmware installed on your unit. One thing I have realized, though, is that Garmin's firmware versions are sometimes a bit flaky from one release to the next. Another thing to consider is batteries. Sometimes rechargeables need to be replaced, too.

Newer is not always better. I love the features on my Oregon 550t, but it sends me spinning in circles sometimes just like any of the others. Sometimes its the weather or the satellites themselves that mess things up. Try the firmware and/or batteries on yoour unit before getting a new one.

"High sensitivity" means that the unit is WAAS enabled, and the 60CSx has this, although you should check the settings to be sure it is actually turned on.

"High sensitivity" doesn't really have anything to do with WAAS. Many times two the capabilities coincide, but one isn't really dependent on the other.

"High sensitivity" means that the unit is WAAS enabled, and the 60CSx has this, although you should check the settings to be sure it is actually turned on.
"High sensitivity" doesn't really have anything to do with WAAS. Many times two the capabilities coincide, but one isn't really dependent on the other.

A mere technicality... my point is that this unit IS a high sensitivity receiver and is also WAAS capable.

Edited by TheFranklin4

A mere technicality... my point is that this unit IS a high sensitivity receiver and is also WAAS capable.

Not just a technicality. My original Magellan SporTrak and my Garmin 76cs are both WAAS enabled but neither one is remotely close to the signal holding capabilities of the 60csx. The high sensitivity receiver is completely separate from WAAS enabled.

Thanks for saving me the typing.

WAAS is error correction and has nothing to do with sensitivity except that if you don't have a strong signal, you also won't have a strong WAAS signal.

I assume that you do know how to calibrate the compass on your 60, right?

Edited by knowschad

Gratuitous posting to increase post count.

Ditto.

Ditto.

Why?

Ditto.

Why?

To add to your Friday evening entertanment.

WAAS is error correction and has nothing to do with sensitivity except that if you don't have a strong signal, you also won't have a strong WAAS signal.

I assume that you do know how to calibrate the compass on your 60, right?

I was thinking the same thing. Calibrate the unit. That should work.

I was thinking the same thing. Calibrate the unit. That should work.

Calibration will only fix the compass, it will not fix wrong coordinate readings. Neither will inserting a fresh set of batteries.

Edited by dfx

wow, thanks for all of the great input. We did check, and the WAAS is on. We do constantly recalibrate, and that does help.

Spouse has a droid that has a case with a magnetic closer, and we've noticed that it upsets the GPS when they are close together. Could that be the cause?

Any advice on other fixes would be greatly appreciated. Don't really want to incur the expense of another GPS, but it is taking a bit of the fun out of caching.

wow, thanks for all of the great input. We did check, and the WAAS is on. We do constantly recalibrate, and that does help.

Spouse has a droid that has a case with a magnetic closer, and we've noticed that it upsets the GPS when they are close together. Could that be the cause?

Any advice on other fixes would be greatly appreciated. Don't really want to incur the expense of another GPS, but it is taking a bit of the fun out of caching.

even with a military grade gps if the hide was hidden with something like an iphone, coords can be off!

I suspect that the droid just might be the villan, antenna conflict, etc.Years ago some receivers of a different brand couldn't get within 30 feet, or so, of each other, without causing conflict. My test with both Garmin and Magellan will cause problems with my am/fm, creating a squall/hum as I get about 4 ft from the antenna on the PkUp fender. Radio set on a weak or no station. External antenna placed on the PU roof, about 18 in from the CB ant, caused an awful squall on the CB.

Test out in the open, where you can get a good steady fix on the x, then watch it as the droid maks it's approach, starting slowly from 30, or more, ft away.

My 60cx, that I got in Mar of 06, is working better today, than when new.

I suspect that the droid just might be the villan, antenna conflict, etc.Years ago some receivers of a different brand couldn't get within 30 feet, or so, of each other, without causing conflict. My test with both Garmin and Magellan will cause problems with my am/fm, creating a squall/hum as I get about 4 ft from the antenna on the PkUp fender. Radio set on a weak or no station. External antenna placed on the PU roof, about 18 in from the CB ant, caused an awful squall on the CB.

Test out in the open, where you can get a good steady fix on the x, then watch it as the droid maks it's approach, starting slowly from 30, or more, ft away.

My 60cx, that I got in Mar of 06, is working better today, than when new.