Canadian maps for Garmin 60CSx

considering buying GArmin 60CSx, but in Canada it looks like it only comes with USA maps

No plans to go "into the wild" & almost always caching with others

Can I go caching "right out of the box" once batteries are installed?

Can I cache without Canadian maps? best place to buy Cdn maps if required?

how reliable are the free sites?

have searched here but not found answers to all our questions.

this GArmin 60CSx has very hi ratings in all the places I looked & it goes on sale at LD today!

current GPS is 6 years old & is NOT paperless - which is one of the many ++ of Garmin...

any info you can share would be appreciated

Be better to get your answers from someone in Canada. We have the 76CSX which is same electronic wise as the 60CSX. It is a great accurate GPS but is NOT paperless. I use a Nuvi 550 and also the 78s for the paperless part. Probably an overkill but we can afford it.

The 60 Csx is a great GPS. I highly recomend it. It unfortunatly is not a paperless GPS.

For maps, BC Backroads MicroSD card is the only way to go. It's data is amazing. The best thing about it is insert and go.

BC Backroads Mapbook

Garmin has a Canada Topo as well.

Ibycus is not to bad and is free, but it's involved to get it going.

R

Edited by MercRocks

considering buying GArmin 60CSx, but in Canada it looks like it only comes with USA maps

No plans to go "into the wild" & almost always caching with others

Can I go caching "right out of the box" once batteries are installed?

Can I cache without Canadian maps? best place to buy Cdn maps if required?

how reliable are the free sites?

have searched here but not found answers to all our questions.

this GArmin 60CSx has very hi ratings in all the places I looked & it goes on sale at LD today!

current GPS is 6 years old & is NOT paperless - which is one of the many ++ of Garmin...

any info you can share would be appreciated

The 60CSx will have a base map installed. It will only show the major roads and the information on it will be quite limted. However, there is nothing to say you actually require maps of any sort to cache, they just make things easier.

As long as you can get a waypoint into the unit, either by using the functionality of the website or by entering it manually into your GPSr, you can go caching once the batteries are installed. Reading the manual is a good idea though. You'll want to know how to calibrate the compass (or turn it off) on the 60CSx as an example.

I notice you mention your current GPSr is six years old and not paperless. Be aware that the 60CSx isn't much newer than that and also is not paperless. (It advertised as having a Geocaching mode, but they were just waypoints with special icons.) The newer update (the 62-series) IS a paperless unit. The release of the 62-series is why so many of the 60-series units are on sale now -- retailers are blowing out the last of their stock.

As for maps -- big vote for Ibycus topo, especially the 4.0 release. I know you say you aren't going "into the wild", but they have great detail regardless. They won't do auto-routing like the Garmin Topo Canada maps however, so be aware if you really want that functionality. I have both and use the Ibycus ones the majority of the time.