Opportunistic Map Coloring...

Redfist

Next month, I'm flying to Raleigh NC and Boston MA. Is it odd that I'm considering adding a day to each trip to knock out a few more states on my geocaching map? I figure from Raleigh, I can drive south and get South Carolina and from Boston, I can drive north to get New Hampshire, Maine and Vermont.

It's a sickness... :laughing:

How many of you extend various trips just to get a few caches in other states (for map or for souveniers)?

I extended my last trip to visit folks in the midwest so I could hit some earthcaches about the New Madrid fault in Western KY and TN. Even though I already had KY on my map, I wanted to get these caches. I didn't get all of them (there were 6), but I did get some and I added TN to my map and had an adventure in the process. Let's just say I'm glad we drove the Jeep on that trip instead of saving on fuel and taking the Honda Fit.

Whereabouts in/near Boston? If you can get to Hopkinton there's a great state park. I went there before I started caching but I'm quite sure there are caches there. (I'll be shocked if there aren't.)

I've only been caching for a week and have been out on a business trip the whole time! All my finds are in New Jersey and I have one in New York. Will add my home state (Texas) tomorrow and then take every work training trip I can to get more states marked off (=

I'm currently taking 3 days to drive from Atlanta to Indiana so I can color in more counties in central Tennessee and Kentucky.

I can't imagine going somewhere without making some effort to color in more counties. (On joint trips, my wife flies and I drive and meet her at the airport. I don't want to fly because you can't find any geocaches that way.)

I used to have a job that was all travel, and while I couldn't extend trips due to company restrictions I did more than once take an extended detour to get into the corner of an additional state or 2. (Canada was done on a day off in the middle of a job.) So, in answer, no not odd at all. I would think it odd if you weren't thinking along those lines!

Whereabouts in/near Boston? If you can get to Hopkinton there's a great state park. I went there before I started caching but I'm quite sure there are caches there. (I'll be shocked if there aren't.)

I've only been caching for a week and have been out on a business trip the whole time! All my finds are in New Jersey and I have one in New York. Will add my home state (Texas) tomorrow and then take every work training trip I can to get more states marked off (=

I'll be in the Waltham area. I'll have to do some cache-homework before I go! :)

Next month, I'm flying to Raleigh NC and Boston MA. Is it odd that I'm considering adding a day to each trip to knock out a few more states on my geocaching map? I figure from Raleigh, I can drive south and get South Carolina and from Boston, I can drive north to get New Hampshire, Maine and Vermont.

How many of you extend various trips just to get a few caches in other states (for map or for souveniers)?

It can also be frustrating if you cant cache on a trip. I was in Pittsburgh a few weeks ago and walked within a few yards of an LPC I'd identified from google earth. Unfortunately time and professional decorum prevented me from making the grab.

On the other hand, I am going on another trip next week and am arriving a day early along with my kid to visit a nearby university campus. One that happens to have a few webcam caches. YAY!

The whole springtime campus visit season is going to be a "new state" boom for me.

Edited by John in Valley Forge

I am currently in Boston (Lexington, actually) and although I've found caches in MA before I grabbed one today.

I had a meeting in Champaign, IL awhile back but instead of flying directly to that small airport I flew into Indianapolis and rented a car. The cost was about the same and I got to color two states on the map instead of one.

For a conference last year in Montpellier, France I had several travel options. Rather than fly directly there through Paris, I took flight into Marseille (via Frankfurt) and took the train. Then I extended the trip a day (as vacation time, instead of as a business expense) and took the train from Montpellier to Barcelona, Spain and flew home from there. The overall cost was about the same (but was actually less for business expenses) and I added Germany (got the virt at the airport) and Spain to my countries list. I'm now up to 24 states and 12 countries in which I've found a cache.

We flew back to Nova Scotia to visit some neices we'd never seen. And then drove back across Canada to get caches and waterfalls (now how are we going to get Nunavut without roads...). We took a dip into the NE states to see Mt Washington and found a few caches in the states around there. I guess that counts as extending a trip...

Do you have Virginia yet? It's actually easier to get to Virginia from Raleigh than it is to get to South Carolina.

I don't have Virginia yet - but my father lives in Maryland so I can get that one on a Maryland trip. South Carolina is much more rare for me. Thanks for the idea though!

Not extend, but planning a trip, just for geocaching. In June I fly from the Neterlands to Seattle WA to visit the APE cache and Groundspeak and look for Benchmarks (3 new icons to my profile). Also I will drive one day down to Portland OR to visit the location of the first cache. Als I want to find as many as possible old caches (filling up the Placed Month Calendar, which can not be completely filled in Europe), for one of them I will take a one day trip to Salt Lake City UT.

As you can see, no sickness, just a dedication to a hobby...

Happy hunting, Moose61

Not extend, but planning a trip, just for geocaching. In June I fly from the Neterlands to Seattle WA to visit the APE cache and Groundspeak and look for Benchmarks (3 new icons to my profile). Also I will drive one day down to Portland OR to visit the location of the first cache. Als I want to find as many as possible old caches (filling up the Placed Month Calendar, which can not be completely filled in Europe), for one of them I will take a one day trip to Salt Lake City UT.

As you can see, no sickness, just a dedication to a hobby...

Happy hunting, Moose61

I'm going to Seattle next week and will go after APE and Original on Thursday. I hear while in Portland, Dr. Who is a must see cache also.

We have found caches in all 50 states and most of the Canadian Provences. We went to Kauai geocaching on our 60th wedding anv. Today our daughter took all the souvenirs and and made a milestone page out of them and sent them to her home and computer to print out. We only have a black and white lazer printer. She will frame it and we will fit it in with all my ham radio awards.

Edited by W7WT

We have found caches in all 50 states and most of the Canadian Provences. We went to Kauai geocaching on our 60th wedding anv. Today our daughter took all the souvenirs and and made a milestone page out of them and sent them to her home and computer to print out. We only have a black and white lazer printer. She will frame it and we will fit it in with all my ham radio awards.

Wow - that's amazing. Congratulations on all your work!

I once took a temporary job in Phoenix (I live in NY) just so I could drive through Mingo, Kansas and pick up the oldest active geocache. I made sure to take different routes there and back to hit as many different states as possible.

I chose to go to a professional conference in Duluth, MN, this year based entirely on the opportunity to pick up four new geocaching states. (MN, WI, ND, SD) I am taking at least one extra day just to drive across MN, spend one night in ND, then drive down to SD and back to Duluth. What is sicker than that? :laughing:

Edited by hukilaulau

Like you we drove all the way from Bremerton, WA to see my relatives in Southern Illinois and then drove back thru Kansas just to get Mingo. We were lucky and it was our 1300 find. It would be great if they made a Souvneir for it.

Edited by W7WT