Garmin 550 deleted all my geocaches

Recently got the Garmin 550 that I use for driving as well as storing geocaches. A few weeks ago I down loaded a couple hundred geocaches for the city I live close to. Yesterday I downloaded about a dozen more in an area I want to cache. Went back and looked for the city caches and everyone of them had been deleted.

Did I run out of memory or something, maybe some other reason????? :huh:

My bet is you overwrote a file. But your explanation is too vague and confusing to understand what you did. Did you download the caches to your GPS or to your computer? Also you cannot download caches with gsak. But I guess you mean you sent the caches to your GPS with GSAK. If you clearly describe what you did, it may be easier to figure out what went wrong.

I have the 550 and if you load them individually about the max you can have is 200. If you go over that they won't show up on the geocaches list on the unit. It you hook the unit up to your computer and access the gpx files in mass storage mode you will see they are still there. I just started using the pocket query method and have had up to 1500 loaded and you could access them with no problem.

I have the 550 and if you load them individually about the max you can have is 200. If you go over that they won't show up on the geocaches list on the unit. It you hook the unit up to your computer and access the gpx files in mass storage mode you will see they are still there. I just started using the pocket query method and have had up to 1500 loaded and you could access them with no problem.

i have a oregon 550 i didn't know that it will only load 200,i load individually from cache page so if i load more then 200 they won't be seen? or won't load.

It will stop loading at 200 and I am not sure of the criteria for first 200. You might want to think about getting GSAK (and yes i know there are others but that is the best one). You can then run some PQ's and drop them into GSAK. Filter as you wish and then save it to the Oregon as a single file. While the GPX limit is 200 the cache limit is 5000 so you need to reduce the files. If you want to keep previous information just use a different file name.

It will stop loading at 200 and I am not sure of the criteria for first 200. You might want to think about getting GSAK (and yes i know there are others but that is the best one). You can then run some PQ's and drop them into GSAK. Filter as you wish and then save it to the Oregon as a single file. While the GPX limit is 200 the cache limit is 5000 so you need to reduce the files. If you want to keep previous information just use a different file name.

hey thanks for the info walt,i have GSAK i guess i will start using it.

Did you overwrite the GPX files from the previous load?

Not sure, I just went on GC.com and downloaded each of the caches I wanted one by one then a few more through a pocket query and downloaded them via Gsak.

Using gsak you may find the following helpful---load a group of caches around home and on the pop up screen just before you transfer put next to the word caches a word like local---then when you do the next loading use a different word after caches like maybe east --this way your previous gpx file will remain on your oregon 550--hopes this helps TY

i have a oregon 550 i didn't know that it will only load 200,i load individually from cache page so if i load more then 200 they won't be seen? or won't load.

Sorry This is with the nuvi 550. Not sure if the Oregon works the same or not. Our Dakota 20 works completely different as to how many files we can load and seems less restrictive. I think the Oregon is similar to the Dakota.

Edited by gnjeepn

Did you overwrite the GPX files from the previous load?

Not sure, I just went on GC.com and downloaded each of the caches I wanted one by one then a few more through a pocket query and downloaded them via Gsak.

Using gsak you may find the following helpful---load a group of caches around home and on the pop up screen just before you transfer put next to the word caches a word like local---then when you do the next loading use a different word after caches like maybe east --this way your previous gpx file will remain on your oregon 550--hopes this helps TY

i'll try itm thanks