A different way...

kayakanimal

I know this has been discussed to death but I think I might have a way of getting caches into ANY PDA or laptop in a different/easier way…

1. You must be a “member” of geocaching.com (it is well worth the small investment).

2. You must use the “Pocket Query Generator” to create a GPX file.

3. Using gpxspinner.com upload your file using it’s defaults. The IMPORTANT thing you want checked is all the way at the bottom of the page. Make sure to check the box for:

Generate HTML files for synchronizing to handheld devices.

4. When that is all correct click the spin button. After gpxspinner.com has finished, you will see a link on the page that says:

You may also click Here to view the HTML pages now.

5. Click on that link to see your web pages. Now you say “but how do I get these to my PDA or laptop for Geocaching in the field?

6.. By using a FREE program called “Offline Navigator” that you can get from http://www.softwarea.com/offline.htm again…FOR FREE!

7. Once the program is installed you can copy and paste (while it is still open) the URL of the web page that gpxspinner.com made for you. Offline Navigator will “suck” all of these files down to your hard drive. You can then copy the files Offline Navigator put on your hard drive to your PDA or laptop for using in the field, just like using the search function at geocaching.com!

It might not be the easiest or the best way for everyone, but it works for me. I am using a Casio BE-300 for my PDA with no special software to read the web pages.

quote:
Originally posted by kayakanimal:

7. Once the program is installed you can copy and paste (while it is still open) the URL of the web page that gpxspinner.com made for you. Offline Navigator will “suck” all of these files down to your hard drive. You can then copy the files Offline Navigator put on your hard drive to your PDA or laptop for using in the field, just like using the search function at geocaching.com!

IE has a function that does File, Save As, and sucks all the files to your hard drive. No need to install new software. IIRC, Netscape does this as well.

Markwell

Chicago Geocaching

quote:
Originally posted by Markwell:

quote:
Originally posted by kayakanimal:

IE has a function that does File, Save As, and sucks all the files to your hard drive. No need to install new software. IIRC, Netscape does this as well.

http://www.markwell.us

http://www.chicagogeocaching.com

This program will download ALL of the pages. Not just the one you are viewing.