CCW and caching

I chose not to carry while playing this sport. You do. All is good and the luv is flowing. Group hug. We're all playing the same GAME. You play your way, I'll play mine.

Of course, I also think GPSr's are for girly men but thats another thread. Have a good day all. I'm off to geocache. :lol:

Has anybody ever shot a cache out of a tree? And if so, how did you get it back up there?

Why are you intentionally trying to derail this thread? It seems from your posts that you don't like this particular subject. Why not just ignore the thread then?

Otherwise, I think it has been a rather civilized discussion.

I don't carry a concealed weapon. I do carry an openly sheathed machete. I don't have any problem with someone carrying a gun though.

As I've said a couple of times now... this is a geocaching forum, not a gun forum. Go to a gun forum if you want to talk about guns.

You have to understand about gun people, every forum is a gun forum. But I do struggle to get the connection between carrying a gun and geocaching. Some how the title of this forum, Geocaching Topics, just does not seem to fit with a discussion of carrying a gun. And to tell me not to click on the thread because guns are mentioned, constantly, and carrying guns is mentioned, constantly, is like telling me don't hunt micros if I don't like them.

I don't think it's fair for you to make a blanket statement about gun people. You're correct in that gun carrying has nothing to do with geocaching. The OP is asking how many people carry while geocaching. It's a question like how many of you walk your dog while geocaching, how many of you eat energy bars while geocacing. It is not a pro-gun post.

Americans and their love of guns... :blink:

Fortunately, I live in a country where it is not necessary for everyone over the age of 3 to carry a handgun in order to feel safe :anitongue:

I remember how nervous I felt travelling through Texas so many years ago with so many weapons about. Scary place, if you can't even go geocaching without being armed!

Fortunately, I live in a country where it is not necessary for everyone over the age of 3 to carry a handgun in order to feel safe :anitongue:

I remember how nervous I felt travelling through Texas so many years ago with so many weapons about. Scary place, if you can't even go geocaching without being armed!

New Zealanders, and their love of stereotypes...:blink:

See what I did there?

Texas scared you? You don't get around very much do you. smile.gif A gun is an inanimate object. It's not going to jump out and get you. It's the rattlesnakes that'll get you. Speaking of which, saw my first log entry yesterday of someone who saw a rattlesnake while caching. They DNF'd that one. biggrin.gif

Yes, we Americans love our guns. And our freedom. Fortunately, I live in a country where we have both. :lol:

I couldn't read through all the posts. But this is to Chad, I think this has everything to do with geocaching. Some caches are not in the safest places urban or wild. I do not have a sidearm, and I have been places where I wish I had a CCW and a sidearm, both urban and wild. The OP wanted advice. You have your right to your opinion and so does everyone else. Off-topic discussion? Debateable. Going to a gun forum to talk guns, is not cool, if it concernings geocaching.

Yes, we Americans love our guns. And our freedom. Fortunately, I live in a country where we have both. :lol:

We have our freedom BECAUSE we have our guns.

- now I'm OT...

We have our freedom BECAUSE we have our guns.

- now I'm OT...

Yes, you are correct. :rolleyes: And I am the desendant of a soilder of the Americian Revolution, and a strong supporter of the 2nd amendment. :anibad: And I also happen to be, now get ready for the scary part.......... a GEOCACHER!!! :lol:

Edited by Manville Possum Hunters

Maybe I should have added more of these to my post to indicate good-natured inter-cultural teasing: :)

Back when I was in my 20s, backpacking through Texas, seeing so many people openly wearing lethal weapons did indeed make me feel unsafe, having come from a country where you never see guns apart from on TV. While a gun is not dangerous in isolation, you have no knowledge of the stability and judgement of the holder; seeing so many people apparently ready to use a lethal weapon at a moments notice is unsettling for someone from a country where this is not the norm.

Edited by sshipway

Maybe I should have added more of these to my post to indicate good-natured inter-cultural teasing: :)

Back when I was in my 20s, backpacking through Texas, seeing so many people openly wearing lethal weapons did indeed make me feel unsafe, having come from a country where you never see guns apart from on TV. While a gun is not dangerous in isolation, you have no knowledge of the stability and judgement of the holder; seeing so many people apparently ready to use a lethal weapon at a moments notice is unsettling for someone from a country where this is not the norm.

Understandable.

We get desensitized (sp?) to it here. I once lived on a ranch in an area where there were feral stray dogs that would attack people and cattle for the joy of it. I got used to driving the ranch with a shotgun in my lap and the barrel hanging out the window. Decided to make a run to the post office / store for a soda pop and was getting funny looks from people on the highway. Pulled in the parking lot and realized I still had the shotgun barrel sticking out the window. The locals all understood, the tourists were probably hearing 'deliverance' playing in the background.