CCW and caching

Guns are so retro.

I carry a 1000mW (1 watt) Class IV laser pointer. It will cause blindness at 100 yards, brain cancer at 250 yards, and melt icebergs also. Although mostly illegal in the US, the distributors will ship anywhere and the local police have no clue what it is. :ph34r:

http://www.beamq.com/808nm-1000mw-infrared-laser-pointer-p-127.html

$600? Thanks, I think I'd buy a gun.

For everyone that is getting their underwear in a bunch over this topic........DON'T CLICK ON THE THREAD AGAIN

Fixed it for ya!;)

Am I the only one that find this hilarious??? If someone is going to take your advice after reading your post, did you ever wonder how they read it? Seems to me like they had to click on the thread to get this bit of wisdom, no??

Edited by NeecesandNephews

Has anybody ever shot a cache out of a tree? And if so, how did you get it back up there?

Why are you intentionally trying to derail this thread? It seems from your posts that you don't like this particular subject. Why not just ignore the thread then?

Otherwise, I think it has been a rather civilized discussion.

I don't carry a concealed weapon. I do carry an openly sheathed machete. I don't have any problem with someone carrying a gun though.

Has anybody ever shot a cache out of a tree? And if so, how did you get it back up there?

Why are you intentionally trying to derail this thread? It seems from your posts that you don't like this particular subject. Why not just ignore the thread then?

I don't carry a concealed weapon. I do carry an openly sheathed machete. I don't have any problem with someone carrying a gun though.

As I've said a couple of times now... this is a geocaching forum, not a gun forum. Go to a gun forum if you want to talk about guns.

As I've said a couple of times now... this is a geocaching forum, not a gun forum. Go to a gun forum if you want to talk about guns.

You have to understand about gun people, every forum is a gun forum. But I do struggle to get the connection between carrying a gun and geocaching. Some how the title of this forum, Geocaching Topics, just does not seem to fit with a discussion of carrying a gun. And to tell me not to click on the thread because guns are mentioned, constantly, and carrying guns is mentioned, constantly, is like telling me don't hunt micros if I don't like them.

Edited by jholly

If you don't like it stop clicking on the thread. Thank you.

I will click on whatever thread I want to click on, and I will respond with my opinion until a moderator asks me to stop, thank you. If you don't like what I write, stop reading it. I don't want to get your underwear in a bunch.

I will click on whatever thread I want to click on, and I will respond with my opinion until a moderator asks me to stop, thank you. If you don't like what I write, stop reading it. I don't want to get your underwear in a bunch.

How old are you?

I really don't understand how a discussion of guns, carring concealed or carrying open has anything to do with geocaching topics. Perhaps this thread was derailed before it even started.

How old are you?

Not sure what you are getting at with that question. Are you suggesting that I am immature because my opinion is different than yours? Or are you suggesting that I'm an old geezer stubbornly stuck in my outdated opinions? Do you intend to question my IQ next?

Here are a couple of alternate places to carry on your CCW discussion:

Concealed Carry Forum

DefensiveCarry

USA Carry

Ohioans for Concealed Carry

California Concealed Weapon

Florida Concealed Carry Forums

That was just the first page that Google presented. Not one of the hits pointed to a geocaching forum.

is like telling me don't hunt micros if I don't like them.

Why would you purposely go out and do something for FUN that you don't like to do?

How old are you?

Not sure what you are getting at with that question. Are you suggesting that I am immature because my opinion is different than yours? Or are you suggesting that I'm an old geezer stubbornly stuck in my outdated opinions? Do you intend to question my IQ next?

Concealed Carry Forum

DefensiveCarry

USA Carry

That was just the first page that Google presented. Not one of the hits pointed to a geocaching forum.

You know this is really too easy...AND FUN!

Why would you purposely go out and do something for FUN that you don't like to do?

Because I get my fun in strange ways. Now can we discuss geocaching related topics or are we still stuck on guns?

How old are you?

Concealed Carry Forum

DefensiveCarry

USA Carry

You're welcome. I figured you would appreciate my linking you to six CCW forums to discuss your gun love in. Glad I was able to make it easy for you.

How old are you?

Concealed Carry Forum

DefensiveCarry

USA Carry

Oh... hey!! Wait a second. I thought you were here to discuss geocaching, and this was only a little sideline to your geocaching discussions. But... (hold the presses...) you haven't DONE any geocaching, have you? At least not under the account that you are posting with.

Because I get my fun in strange ways. Now can we discuss geocaching related topics or are we still stuck on guns?

Jholly, I looked at your profile pic and you look like a really nice guy, why does it bother you so much that someone is discussing the carrying of firearms while GEOCACHING? I wonder how many thread topics that you scan over all the time because they don't interest you and you choose not to join in the discussion? Why this thread? It appears that there are people on this fourm site that are trying to bully others into not discussing subjects that they disagree with. Is that fair? Is it right? Do you OWN this site? Please guys, I understand if you don't like the topic of this thread but why don't you just look for another thread to join into instead of trying to stop others from discussing what they choose to?

How old are you?

Concealed Carry Forum

DefensiveCarry

USA Carry

Oh... hey!! Wait a second. I thought you were here to discuss geocaching, and this was only a little sideline to your geocaching discussions. But... (hold the presses...) you haven't DONE any geocaching, have you? At least not under the account that you are posting with.

Man! Is this the Salem Witch Trials or what!

Nope. Its the geocaching forum. Would you like to discuss geocaching?

Are you behaving in this manner in the thread about Geocaching with dogs?

Geocaching is about geocaching with dogs, not about dogs. This thread is about guns, not geocaching.

Before this thread degenerates...

For those who carry while caching, what method of carry do you use to keep your weapon secure and not 'print'? As cachers we're reaching, bending over and even crawling under things. It's somewhat easier to conceal in the colder climes during winter, but summer is fast approaching.

What works for you?

I usually carry my firearm in a Blackhawk fannypack that doesn't print at all and alot of times I just have my firearm in my pack. My firearm printing isn't that big of an issue. I have talked with LEOs while open carrying and they didn't notice or just didn't care.

Nope. Its the geocaching forum. Would you like to discuss geocaching?

Are you behaving in this manner in the thread about Geocaching with dogs?

Geocaching is about geocaching with dogs, not about dogs. This thread is about guns, not geocaching.

Then this thread belongs in the Off Topic area instead of the Geocaching forum.

Before this thread degenerates...

For those who carry while caching, what method of carry do you use to keep your weapon secure and not 'print'? As cachers we're reaching, bending over and even crawling under things. It's somewhat easier to conceal in the colder climes during winter, but summer is fast approaching.

What works for you?

Open carry. :anibad:

I use an in the waistband concealed holster for a S&W SD9, and a friend of mine uses a paddle style "over the belt" holster for a Glock 23. No matter what, though, there's some degree of printing, unless you hide the thing in your underwear. I wouldn't worry about printing so much, and if somebody sees it, then you have a teachable moment.

Oh, and a 92FS is drool-worthy. You can't go wrong with 9x19mm parabellum. Is it a serious piece of hardware? I dunno, if I saw somebody print with a DE Mark XIX... that's some serious hardware, effective against BEARS.

Which, by the way, a good reason to carry is when you're in places where you don't want large, toothy mammals to turn you into geo-hors d'oeuvres.

I have also felt very uncomfortable before in urban environs where I didn't attempt to find the cache and left the area altogether.

Edited by highlighter1

It's probably a lost cause, but I'm going to try to bring this back on topic. I carry while caching in the Arizona desert. There are alot of rattle snakes out here. There are also other concerns here in AZ, like coyotes (the two legged variety.) I would rather be over prepared than under prepared.

Oh and ibtl. :ph34r:

Did you post the same message in the car thread?

No, but although I have been tempted to, at least those tend to have something to do with getting to the cache. These threads typically end up having nothing at all to do with geocaching. Any geocaching reference is simply a tenuous connection intended purely to justify its existence here, and I think we all know it.

Did you post the same message in the car thread?

No, but although I have been tempted to, at least those tend to have something to do with getting to the cache. These threads typically end up having nothing at all to do with geocaching. Any geocaching reference is simply a tenuous connection intended purely to justify its existence here, and I think we all know it.

I am not a gun fan - I'll just own up to that right now. I don't own a gun and likely never will. That's for me personally, I don't try to push that view onto others.

That being said... in Arizona (or any other frequent rattlesnake/etc. state), I can see how one could make a connection between non-urban caching and carrying a gun. If someone told me they carry a gun while checking out LPCs, I'd have to roll my eyes though. :laughing:

It's probably a lost cause, but I'm going to try to bring this back on topic. I carry while caching in the Arizona desert. There are alot of rattle snakes out here. There are also other concerns here in AZ, like coyotes (the two legged variety.) I would rather be over prepared than under prepared.

Oh and ibtl. :ph34r:

I hear ya man. Caching has taken me to lonely and desolate places both urban and rual where if something went wrong help(LE) is along way off especialy in counrty like AZ.

A moderator is asking you to stop posting to this thread. Thank you.

Now, back to what was otherwise a fairly calm discussion of carrying guns while geocaching.

For those who wonder why guns would be discussed here...

There is a unique challenge to carrying a concealed weapon while caching.Unlike most daily activities, geocaching involves reaching, bending over, and even getting on the ground to get in or under things and in a way that isn't common in normal day-to-day activities. During geocaching the carrier needs to keep the weapon concealed and keep it secure. If you have the wrong holster it can, at the least, make for a very uncomfortable day because pistols are heavy and bulky, but it can be a serious legal issue in some areas if your weapon is no longer concealed. For those who choose to carry, it's a very real issue and not one easily explained on a CCW website with people who don't undertand geocaching and what it entails.

As for why geocachers carry concealed weapons, it's more of an insurance policy akin to carrying fire insurance. You're unlikely to ever need it, but you're thankful if you had it when it was needed. Because geocaching can take you into less safe areas, whether it be the great outdoors or an alleyway, those who choose to carry concealed make a point of doing so.

As for the number of magazines question, which is a bit off-topic, pistols have varying capacities. You'd probably want a spare if you only have a 6-shot magazine. A 15-shot magazine is considered by many to be sufficient, but as was mentioned before, you can have a malfunction and having a spare is being prudent.

Jholly, I looked at your profile pic and you look like a really nice guy, why does it bother you so much that someone is discussing the carrying of firearms while GEOCACHING? I wonder how many thread topics that you scan over all the time because they don't interest you and you choose not to join in the discussion? Why this thread? It appears that there are people on this fourm site that are trying to bully others into not discussing subjects that they disagree with. Is that fair? Is it right? Do you OWN this site? Please guys, I understand if you don't like the topic of this thread but why don't you just look for another thread to join into instead of trying to stop others from discussing what they choose to?

Well the title of the thread is CCW and caching

How is someone to know what that means?

There is a unique challenge to carrying a concealed weapon while caching.Unlike most daily activities, geocaching involves reaching, bending over, and even getting on the ground to get in or under things and in a way that isn't common in normal day-to-day activities. During geocaching the carrier needs to keep the weapon concealed and keep it secure. If you have the wrong holster it can, at the least, make for a very uncomfortable day because pistols are heavy and bulky, but it can be a serious legal issue in some areas if your weapon is no longer concealed. For those who choose to carry, it's a very real issue and not one easily explained on a CCW website with people who don't undertand geocaching and what it entails.

As for why geocachers carry concealed weapons, it's more of an insurance policy akin to carrying fire insurance. You're unlikely to ever need it, but you're thankful if you had it when it was needed. Because geocaching can take you into less safe areas, whether it be the great outdoors or an alleyway, those who choose to carry concealed make a point of doing so.

As for the number of magazines question, which is a bit off-topic, pistols have varying capacities. You'd probably want a spare if you only have a 6-shot magazine. A 15-shot magazine is considered by many to be sufficient, but as was mentioned before, you can have a malfunction and having a spare is being prudent.

Excellent, rational post, thank you sir.

Excellent, rational post, thank you sir.

Seconded. I know of some local cachers that were mugged, and now CCW religiously. I couldn't imagine losing hundreds (perhaps thousands) of dollars in equipment and time, let alone the potential that the mugger wants more than material gain. More often than not, it's enough of a deterrent just being there.

And I'll take a moment to reiterate it's usefulness in keeping limbs attached and blood contained when caching in bear/cougar/wolf country.

92FS with me at all times.

Arizona has pretty liberal gun laws

That's a serious piece of hardware. I haven't had a chance to fire one yet but they do have one at my local range. Might have to give it a try.

Gun laws in Canada don't allow for the carrying of side arms. Sure would make a guy feel a lot safer though.

Give it a try. you'll want one!

Now that this has been steered back around . . . Yes, I carry when caching. Main carry is a Charter Arms Bulldog Pug in .44 Special. Also known to carry a Taurus 92-AFS, Taurus PT-145, or a Taurus Model 66 in .357 Magnum.

We blow off the caches that are on school property. I do notify LEO when we meet.

I'm not a gun owner, nor a gun opponent (in fact I'm a card carrying NRA member), but I always find the rattlesnake argument specious. If you see a rattlesnake, walk around it. If you find yourself within striking distance any movement could precipitate a strike, even reaching for your gun. Even if you are lucky enough to get to your gun without inducing a strike, you'd better be dead on accurate with your first shot. The safest thing to do would be to back slowly out of the snake's range and continue on your way.

I'm not too concerned about bears, they usually run away when approached. If it were charging grizzly, a handgun won't do much unless you get very lucky with your shot.

Now if I lived and cached in mountain lion country, I might consider changing my tune and become a gun owner/carrier. Even then a gun is of limited usefulness, as they usually silently stalk their prey and are likely to be on you before you ever have a chance to unholster your gun.

Edited as the situation was dealt with by a Moderator.

On topic: When I'm heading into the woods, I usually won't carry. The critters in Florida can usually be dealt with using nothing more than presence, and, on occasion, a pokey stick. However, I will always carry my Glock when caching in urban environments. In the Sunshine State, the only truly dangerous critters walk on two legs.

Edited by Clan Riffster

I've carried long enough that I don't notice it's there anymore.

The only time I'm not carrying is at work.

After checking reciprocity agreements with other States, I've also carried in most we've geocached.

Nobody notices and the few who know me (and in conversation, that I carry) aren't bothered by it.

Owning many firearms means I can change with the weather and clothes needed for concealment.

Cooler weather, wear what's comfortable. The necessary movements of bending or reaching while caching won't show a holster with heavy sweaters or jackets on. Early Spring and late Fall are when I see most bear and coyote, so something in a higher caliber fit's perfectly in season.

Warm weather carrying while solely geocaching, for me, usually means appendix carry or pocket carry (in a pocket carry holster)and either a firearm of smaller caliber or one that's "cut down" in size.

I can wear a nylon tee and shorts with these two types and there's no evidence of a firearm.

The biggest problem with CCW and caching in warm weather is sweating.

Most of my cache days are hikes or long walks. Simple fact, you're gonna sweat.

Most CCW options require you to have the firearm against your body.

A firearm "in a pack/bag" isn't a good option and may create more problems than you hoped.

So unless you're prepared to maintain them daily, you'll ruin an expensive firearm and holster by soaking 'em in sweat (salt).

Another note for those unfamiliar with firearms...

Then the gun fans start mentioning various models here, it's a shorthand communication as to what they find works best for them. One model might be a 'wheelgun' with smooth rounded surfaces that don't poke when carried. Another model might be very compact and light. Still, another model might be a heavier and more accurate

Enthusiasts recognize model numbers and recognize that choices the writer is making. To non-enthusiasts this shorthand communication can look a little 'weird' to say the least.

Another note for those unfamiliar with firearms...

Then the gun fans start mentioning various models here, it's a shorthand communication as to what they find works best for them. One model might be a 'wheelgun' with smooth rounded surfaces that don't poke when carried. Another model might be very compact and light. Still, another model might be a heavier and more accurate

Enthusiasts recognize model numbers and recognize that choices the writer is making. To non-enthusiasts this shorthand communication can look a little 'weird' to say the least.

Yeah, many in my area carry and sometimes I forget...

I stated in an earlier post a gun "cut down."

This means a firearm was trimmed a bit in size (barrel length,grip frame) at the factory to make carrying (CCW) easier.

Edited as the situation was dealt with by a Moderator.

On topic: When I'm heading into the woods, I usually won't carry. The critters in Florida can usually be dealt with using nothing more than presence, and, on occasion, a pokey stick. However, I will always carry my Glock when caching in urban environments. In the Sunshine State, the only truly dangerous critters walk on two legs.

Same here, we have bears but they are afraid of humans. I carry my GPS units in my range bag, which I would never leave unattended in a vehicle overnight for some drug addict to steal.

I was hoping to post IBTG (In Before The Glock) but looks like you beat me to the draw! :lol:

...I always find the rattlesnake argument specious. If you see a rattlesnake, walk around it. If you find yourself within striking distance any movement could precipitate a strike, even reaching for your gun. Even if you are lucky enough to get to your gun without inducing a strike, you'd better be dead on accurate with your first shot. The safest thing to do would be to back slowly out of the snake's range and continue on your way.

I'm not too concerned about bears, they usually run away when approached. If it were charging grizzly, a handgun won't do much unless you get very lucky with your shot.

Now if I lived and cached in mountain lion country, I might consider changing my tune and become a gun owner/carrier. Even then a gun is of limited usefulness, as they usually silently stalk their prey and are likely to be on you before you ever have a chance to unholster your gun.

+1

And wolves are a minuscule danger to humans. Very rarely, a coyote might attack a small child but this is extremely unlikely if an adult is nearby.

Your odds of being killed by a deer (car accidents) or a bee (allergic reactions) are thousands of times greater than being killed by a wolf or coyote.

A firearm "in a pack/bag" isn't a good option and may create more problems than you hoped.

Most times when I put my handgun in my pack is when I am doing rual and city caches. I carry it on my person for the city caches but when I get to the wood I don't want to leave it in my truck so alot of times it goes in my pack. I know this wouldn't be idea if I had to present it in a hurry and that is why I'm thinking of buying one of these.

Maxpedition

It carrys to your side and not your back. I'm thinking that this may be an idea caching bag for rual and urban environments.

I'm not a gun owner, nor a gun opponent (in fact I'm a card carrying NRA member), but I always find the rattlesnake argument specious. If you see a rattlesnake, walk around it. If you find yourself within striking distance any movement could precipitate a strike, even reaching for your gun. Even if you are lucky enough to get to your gun without inducing a strike, you'd better be dead on accurate with your first shot. The safest thing to do would be to back slowly out of the snake's range and continue on your way.

The bolded bit is not entirely true. They make snake shot, which is handgun ammo that is basically like shotgun ammo. That's also why I carry the Taurus Judge. It holds .410 shotgun shells. Accuracy in these cases doesn't have to be "dead on."

I've actually had occasion to have to shoot a rattle snake. Shortly after moving to Arizona, I went hiking/caching in the desert. Where I was, there were a few different species of rattlers. At the time, I hadn't learned how to tell them apart. (My own dumb fault.) As I was heading back to my truck, thankfully I was less than a quarter of a mile away, I heard the sound you never want to hear and then felt the strike. I shot the snake and took it to the hospital with me, so they could identify it. I now know how to I.D. the local snakes.

Despite my pain, I still had a pretty good chuckle when I brought in a 4 foot western diamondback to the emergency room and said, "this bit me."