Duplicate cache names

R.R. Spike

We've had it happen a couple of times in the Chicago area, and a new one just popped up with the same name as an older one - 32.72 miles apart. Between a rock and a hard place and Between a Rock and a Hard Place (OK, the capitalization is different, but that's all).

I don't really see a big problem with it, except that it could be kind of confusing if the caches are in close proximity and the cachers are talking about it at an event...

I just found Between a Rock and a Hard Place.

Oh, the one in Silver Springs?

No, the one by Starved Rock.

End of confusion. Not a big hairy deal in my book.

That being said - with all the choices of languages and nuances of words, isn't it possible to come up with something original?

Markwell

Chicago Geocaching

quote:
Originally posted by Markwell:

OK - Elias. I goofed and was going to edit and hit the quote button and submitted prior to realizing my mistake. No one else had replied, and I clicked on the "delete message" sequence...

<>

Then why does it give the ability to delete? Grrrrrrr.

Markwell, while you are enjoying cheese with your whine, I must point out that this has been mentioned in numerous threads ... icon_wink.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Markwell:

OK - Elias. I goofed and was going to edit and hit the quote button and submitted prior to realizing my mistake. No one else had replied, and I clicked on the "delete message" sequence...

<>

Then why does it give the ability to delete? Grrrrrrr.

Markwell, while you are enjoying cheese with your whine, I must point out that this has been mentioned in numerous threads ... icon_wink.gif

Last week I went caching with Geogil (and his famous hound) here in the Chicagoland area, and we got to talking as cachers will. We discussed the merits of 'Between a Rock and a Hard Place' for quite awhile before we realized we were each talking about a different cache! Yes, there's certainly something to be said for unique cache names- but I believe unique names are desirable for many more reasons than just to prevent this sort of confusion.

A new cache went in near my house last month, and the hider named it 'A Geocache'. I didn't complain, but I'd have chosen something more original, as there were plenty of opportunities to use something more descriptive of the location, hiding place, or theme; or something more humorous. It struck me like having a son and naming him 'A Human'.

I think it's great when cache owners strive to use original names, and believe it also adds to the value of their cache. For one thing, if I have a choice, I'm more tempted to hunt caches with intriguing names. Secondly, it certainly makes their caches more memorable. Now that I've done more than just a few hunts and I look at a listing of caches by name, I tend to forget that I've visited some caches that have 'blah' names, while I'll never forget 'Little CacheCalf in the Wildwoods' or 'Monster From The Skokie Lagoon'. A unique name certainly sticks in memory.

I've noticed a few instances here in the Chicago area where a cache got raided, flooded, etc., and it was replaced with a new cache having the same (or similar) name BUT with a '2' or 'II' or some other designation added. I think that's a fine idea – let the old name die with the old cache - like Royalty.

I don’t know about the etiquette aspects of this. How would you feel if you had an already established cache, and someone else put in a new cache using the same name? I imagine that some would be insulted, others complimented. For most, I guess it would depend upon how close together the caches actually were.

I don’t believe this site allows two different cachers to have the same Username, so why not follow that rule for the caches themselves? Yes, I know caches must have unique ‘GC…’ Identifiers, but that’s different. I’m certainly not one to go for more rules and certainly not suggesting that such a rule be added, but I can see some merit to the idea that cache names should be unique.

Like Markwell, I personally don’t view duplicate cache names as a PROBLEM, but I don’t understand why anyone would want to do this. I can’t think of any real merits for using a name that’s been applied to a cache already in existence (or archived for that matter), but there seem to be lots of good reasons to strive for unique names.

- Genius Loci

If some one used the same name as one of mine, it would not bother me, but I like the idea of them being different as well.

That was why I searched to see if "Between a rock and a hard place" was used before I did mine. I like to be different, and it took me a week to come up with something remotely clever. I ended up naming it "A Mile From A Halfmile".

Some will figure out what it means, and the rest will probably just think I've got a screw loose. Still, to me it's better than using a name that would be expected.

Save our forests, wipe your *** with a tree-hugger.

Thanks for the opinions. I did a name search just before I was ready to submit the cache. I was still considering using the name because it's the name of a nearby historic site, the road signs, the description of the two bench marks that are there, etc. Since the cache will be closer to the road that bears the same name, I'll just add 'road' or maybe 'cache' after the name. Problem solved.

I did a search before my newest hide, and I was very surprised that "Higher Education", with no modification, hadn't been taken. There is a "Higher Education II", far from mine, so presumably there is one that was archived.

Of the three that use the term in their name, only one sounds like the location is similar to mine.

I was also somewhat surprised to find "Hop To It" was available for my first. There were several of my backup, "Two if by Sea" (I ended up having three legs in the multi instead of two anyway).

My point is, I do search and try to keep my names unique. I personally think a good title is important. It may sound hokey, but the cache's title creates the first impression someone gets of the cache, just like a book or movie.

migo_sig_logo.jpg

There are quite a few duplicate cache names, and I see no problem with it, especially if they are in different regions.

It probably would be poor etiquette to give the same name to a second cache within the same the same metropolitan area or within a couple of hundred miles or so.

25021_1200.gif