non cache owners fixing need maint attributes

ok, so in my local area, Alice Springs, Australia, many need maint attributes/log entries are coming up on caches that are not mine. There are a lot of

cache owners who are either no longer active, or a long way away. I have replaced containers or replaced logs for these guys, yet all I can do is "log note"

for a cache. I've have two cache owners in town, one who is either not here and not active on geocaching.com, or an owner who is a long way away, and I do

make contact with eventually. In one circumstance, I have cache owners who thank me over andover again for fixing their cache, yet fail to log "owner maint" on their cache to get rid of the need maint attribute. Int he other circumstance, the I have replace a log or a cache for an owner who is no longer inthe GC.com realm. Ihear nothing from them. In both circumstances, the needs maint attribute remains. Is it possible for GC.com to allow a log entry of "cache maint" by non cache owners to rid the cache of the needs maint attribute. Is there anything else I should do other then continually trying to contact the cache owner? I like helping out fellow cache hiders, but want the cache hunters to get a clear picture of what they are looking for.

I'd go along with WH. You are doing the work of maintaining the cache, why not be the listed owner (AND be able to properly maintain the cache in all aspects).

Post a Needs Archived -- be prepared to let the reviewer know why.

After the cache is archived you can post a listing for the cache. If a good container, use it!

As far as another CO thanking you but taking no further action, well... (No, I won't go there. I won't. I won't.)

How very nice of you to do that. However, caches really need owners (partly just for the reason you describe here!!) so if the owner has dropped out of Geocaching or is unresponsive, Sometimes the best course of action is to post the dreaded NA log and let a reviewer deal with it. Then later, if it gets archived, feel free to go out and plant one of your own. The other result just might be that the owner decides to go out and perform thier required maintenance duties.

How very nice of you to do that. However, caches really need owners (partly just for the reason you describe here!!) so if the owner has dropped out of Geocaching or is unresponsive, Sometimes the best course of action is to post the dreaded NA log and let a reviewer deal with it. Then later, if it gets archived, feel free to go out and plant one of your own. The other result just might be that the owner decides to go out and perform thier required maintenance duties.

I'm with StarBrand, WH and the others who suggest you log a NA, rather than keeping abandoned caches alive. All you're doing is putting future maintenance on the shoulders of other geocachers. It's best that a cache has an active and interested owner. If you like the spot, place your own cache there once the abandoned cache is archived.

In one circumstance, I have cache owners who thank me over andover again for fixing their cache, yet fail to log "owner maint" on their cache to get rid of the need maint attribute.

Perhaps an email to the cache owner, reminding him/her that an "Owner Maintenance" log needs to be posted, would be helpful?

In one circumstance, I have cache owners who thank me over andover again for fixing their cache, yet fail to log "owner maint" on their cache to get rid of the need maint attribute.

Perhaps an email to the cache owner, reminding him/her that an "Owner Maintenance" log needs to be posted, would be helpful?

About a year ago, I replaced a container at a cache owners request after some NM logs. I sent full instructions on how to do the Owner Maintenance log twice. I sent a gentle reminder a few months later as it still had not happened, the guy sent me an email back accusing me of harrassing him. It is still flagged as needing maintenance......sigh - only so much you can do.

If the CO is still active just not in the area email them and say hey I did maintenance can you go in and clear the NM attribute on your cache (and you can even describe how). If they are no longer active there's nothing that can be done.

I would also ask to adopt the cache, assuming you want to, <_< This way you have the control in the future. :D

If all else fails then it's NA time. :tired:

Edited by captnemo

Interesting timing...the Groundspeak newsletter this week addresses this topic:

Cache Maintenance as a Community

Within the geocaching community, the responsibilities of a courteous geocacher include respecting fellow geocachers, taking care of the environment and maintaining your caches, among other things. And you can be an extra courteous geocacher by helping to maintain others' caches! The next time you go geocaching, bring additional supplies such as an extra geocache container, SWAG, logbooks and pencils. This way, you will be prepared to help out another geocacher by fixing a cache that needs maintenance on the spot.

If you go geocaching on the spur of the moment and don't have supplies to fix up a cache that needs maintenance, please make sure to visit Geocaching.com and report a 'Needs Maintenance' log on the cache page.

If you are a geocache owner, we recommend following these simple steps for cache maintenance:

1. Place a cache that is durable and requires little or no upkeep

2. Periodically check on your cache both in person and via the cache page to see if there are any issues

3. If you see a 'Needs Maintenance' log on the cache page, fix the cache and post an 'Owner Maintenance' log

Thanks for playing your part as a supportive community member to keep geocaches well maintained!