It's that time of year again

TK7464

I ran across this from Bitmap as I was searching the San Diego Forums

If any of you are Scout Leaders Please remind the boys about the dangers of Rattlesnakes especially because they are coming out of Hibernation and are hungry

Thinking a bit about MTRP when I saw an article in the UT today about a geocacher and a rattlesnake:

"A 41-year-old man called 911 on his cellphone at 3:30 p.m., saying he’d been bitten on one lower leg by a large rattler while geo-caching, a scavenger hunt for hidden trinkets using a GPS. A sheriff’s helicopter crew found him on a Fortuna Mountain, south of state Route 52 and directed in a San Diego Fire-Rescue Department helicopter. Firefighter/paramedic Barry Links said the hiker, in considerable pain, was hoisted aboard flown to Sharp Memorial Hospital about 40 minutes after the bite."

Ouch. Hope he's feeling better! Anybody know who it is?

-Tony

You know I'm leaving tomorrow for California to go Geocaching and I have thought about that was wondering what would be the best way to protect myself or what I should take if i do get bit, I was thinking of seeing if REI has a snake bit kit and do they even help. I will have my Cell Phone and Will be pretty local but just trying to be prepared. If anyone has some suggestions on what to take or wear that would be great.

Scubasonic

You know I'm leaving tomorrow for California to go Geocaching and I have thought about that was wondering what would be the best way to protect myself or what I should take if i do get bit, I was thinking of seeing if REI has a snake bit kit and do they even help. I will have my Cell Phone and Will be pretty local but just trying to be prepared. If anyone has some suggestions on what to take or wear that would be great.

Scubasonic

NOTE: This info is stuff I've read - I'm by no means an expert...

A lot of people will quote stats about who is bitten and who isn't and what behaviors caused it (80% men, majority of those men drunk). Generally speaking, rattlers only bite in defense. They can perceive danger if you are too close or startle them. Good advice is "stop on, not over". Don't step over a rock when you can't see what's lurking on the far side of the rock. Step on then look down. If you notice a rattler, **STOP** then slowly back away. Go around (wide berth). Don't try to be a 'hero' and kill the snake (ie: throwing rocks, etc.). They also don't hear although they do sense vibration really well. Be loud from that perspective as you walk. Rattlers want to avoid you. Most of the time, they'll rattle to warn you, but not always. Sometimes they hide quitely.

Rattlers can attack faster than your eye can notice so don't try to "get closer for a look". Even when not coiled, they can lunge 1/2 to 2/3 their length.

As far as what to wear - most bites are low. Tall boots and baggy jeans are good.

The advice I've heard about snake bite kits (and I'm no expert) is... don't cut yourself to get poison out and don't tie a turnicate. There are kits that suction/suck poison out - I don't know if that's a good idea or not. It sure seems like it would be, but I'm no expert.

If you are ever bitten, you want emergency room attention ASAP. Call 911. Stay calm. If you freak out and have your blood pressure up, you'll spread the poison faster. Keep the bitten area lower than your heart.

Hope that helps.

Before getting all excited about rattlesnakes it would be interesting to know just how many cachers have actually been bitten by one.

An old friend of ours was a paramedic and he informed us that the best thing to do in the event of a bite is to try to identify the type of snake and then go to the emergency room to be tested for venom. His experiences showed that in 80% of the bites that NO venom was injected and that most harm was done by people using snakebite kits.

Panic is your enemy, it will cause people to do really stupid things.

John

Scubasonic

A lot of people will quote stats about who is bitten and who isn't and what behaviors caused it (80% men, majority of those men drunk). Generally speaking, rattlers only bite in defense. They can perceive danger if you are too close or startle them. Good advice is "stop on, not over". Don't step over a rock when you can't see what's lurking on the far side of the rock. Step on then look down. If you notice a rattler, **STOP** then slowly back away. Go around (wide berth). Don't try to be a 'hero' and kill the snake (ie: throwing rocks, etc.). They also don't hear although they do sense vibration really well. Be loud from that perspective as you walk. Rattlers want to avoid you. Most of the time, they'll rattle to warn you, but not always. Sometimes they hide quitely.

Rattlers can attack faster than your eye can notice so don't try to "get closer for a look". Even when not coiled, they can lunge 1/2 to 2/3 their length.

As far as what to wear - most bites are low. Tall boots and baggy jeans are good.

The advice I've heard about snake bite kits (and I'm no expert) is... don't cut yourself to get poison out and don't tie a turnicate. There are kits that suction/suck poison out - I don't know if that's a good idea or not. It sure seems like it would be, but I'm no expert.

If you are ever bitten, you want emergency room attention ASAP. Call 911. Stay calm. If you freak out and have your blood pressure up, you'll spread the poison faster. Keep the bitten area lower than your heart.

Hope that helps.

Good advice Redfist.

If you want maximum protection for your shins and legs you can wear leg protectors like hunters wear. I have a pair that cover my shins from my ankles to the bottom of my knees and are made of heavy duty canvas material that is almost like kevlar. I tried the hard PVC wrap around protectors but they were uncomfortable and got hot even on warm days in the desert were I live. I have never had to put them to use but I have peace of mind while I walk through tall grass and brush. They also work well to keep dry grass stickers (seeds) out of your boots, socks, and other clothing and off your body.

I have seen people walk in the desert and step over a rattlesnake and not even see them because they blend in perfectly with the sand and rocks. It's good to wear some protection and heavy duty boots.

-Nat

Scubasonic

Hope that helps.

Good advice Redfist.

If you want maximum protection for your shins and legs you can wear leg protectors like hunters wear. I have a pair that cover my shins from my ankles to the bottom of my knees and are made of heavy duty canvas material that is almost like kevlar. I tried the hard PVC wrap around protectors but they were uncomfortable and got hot even on warm days in the desert were I live. I have never had to put them to use but I have peace of mind while I walk through tall grass and brush. They also work well to keep dry grass stickers (seeds) out of your boots, socks, and other clothing and off your body.

I have seen people walk in the desert and step over a rattlesnake and not even see them because they blend in perfectly with the sand and rocks. It's good to wear some protection and heavy duty boots.

-Nat

I noticed this information in another forum after I posted this. These are the ticket! Thanks kawikaturn:

Thanks for the update, Tom. Yes, I have over a dozen on hand. Different sizes and colors. I even have a pink pair!

I sell them for and average amount of $55.00 on ebay. Click on the photos for more info on my ebay product page. I sell the exact same product as snakeguards.com sells for $63.

Please contact me directly if you are interested and save $ on shipping and ebay fees.

Dave "kawikaturn" Turner

aka kawikaturn on ebay also!

"The Journey Is The Destination"

Well just back from a whole lot of caching on Route 66, Then just outta Searchlight Nevada left on March 24th came back March 29th 1196 caches better then when I left. I didn't so much as hear a Rattle, I was hoping to at least see one but it must not have been hot enough for them to be out.

Scubasonic

Pay attention to your surroundings and not your GPS screen. Bring a hiking pole and use it to clear the area and not your hand. Make lots of noise and stomp the ground, Learn to walk away from a cache! Follow the peceeding rules and you won't sneak up on a snake. In 20 years in AZ including 8 as a Scoutmaster I have had only 2 snake encounters.

We are planning a trip to the southwest mid April to mid May.

Any advise for hiking with a dog, she's a 75lb 11 month old Chessie, in rattlesnake country would be appreciated.

I have outlined our basic trip in another thread which I started today.

Thanks

Keep your dog leashed and carry a bat. Watch out for coyote, javilina, bobcat and other four legged creatures.

:rolleyes:

If your dog is well behaved and comes when it is called, you should have no problems. If the dog is strong-willed use a leash.

Bring plenty of water as dehydration will be a bigger problem than snakes or other critters. Keep your camera handy, as you never know when something will appear and wait for just a short time for you to get the picture. Even snakes don't wait very long for you to get their picture. Oh, getting a picture of a snake makes it a lot easier to identify what type of snake it really is. There are an awful lot of NON-poisonous snakes out there. Forget the bat since there is no need to kill the snake and you really shouldn't use it on the dog.

I've been hiking the desert for over 30 years and either wear sandals or tennis shoes. I have never felt the need for "shin guards" to protect against snake-bite! Watch where you put your feet and you should have no problems. If you do not leash the dog, just keep an eye open for any indication that it has caught whiff of something intriguing to her. The dog will do a quick stop and look like it has gone on point like a retriever. This is the time to control the dog, like using the Stay command to give you time to get to the dog and investigate what got its attention. If the dog does go on point, look at the hair on its back and neck for a clue as to what is going on.

In over 30 years of hiking the desert, including the times when I was looking for rattlesnakes, I have seen less than 30 rattlesnakes. I have seen over a hundred non poisonous snakes in that same time period. I had the camera handy for 1 and got a great picture of that snake having dinner!

Keep your eyes open and have fun, you might even spot a desert tortoise.

John

Keep your dog leashed and carry a bat. Watch out for coyote, javilina, bobcat and other four legged creatures.

If your dog is well behaved and comes when it is called, you should have no problems. If the dog is strong-willed use a leash.

Bring plenty of water as dehydration will be a bigger problem than snakes or other critters. Keep your camera handy, as you never know when something will appear and wait for just a short time for you to get the picture. Even snakes don't wait very long for you to get their picture. Oh, getting a picture of a snake makes it a lot easier to identify what type of snake it really is. There are an awful lot of NON-poisonous snakes out there. Forget the bat since there is no need to kill the snake and you really shouldn't use it on the dog.

I've been hiking the desert for over 30 years and either wear sandals or tennis shoes. I have never felt the need for "shin guards" to protect against snake-bite! Watch where you put your feet and you should have no problems. If you do not leash the dog, just keep an eye open for any indication that it has caught whiff of something intriguing to her. The dog will do a quick stop and look like it has gone on point like a retriever. This is the time to control the dog, like using the Stay command to give you time to get to the dog and investigate what got its attention. If the dog does go on point, look at the hair on its back and neck for a clue as to what is going on.

In over 30 years of hiking the desert, including the times when I was looking for rattlesnakes, I have seen less than 30 rattlesnakes. I have seen over a hundred non poisonous snakes in that same time period. I had the camera handy for 1 and got a great picture of that snake having dinner!

John

00020771.gifIf you hear rattling run

John

00020771.gifIf you hear rattling run

If you hear rattling FREEZE. Find the source before you move, so that you don't move right to the problem! Then move slowly and back away from the snake.

Think before moving. Verify that there is only ONE snake in the area!

John

Any advise for hiking with a dog, she's a 75lb 11 month old Chessie, in rattlesnake country would be appreciated.

Thanks

We keep our dog on a leash at all times. But a bigger problem for dogs in the SW is the thorns--either they get stuck all in the fur or worse in the pads. They are not thorny bushes, they are either lose or very small things littering the whole area.

Here is a interesting read.

True Story!

On July 21, just after my 18th birthday, I was bitten by a Northern Pacific rattlesnake (the snake was originally identified as a Western Diamondback rattlesnake but that species is not found near Yosemite). I was on a trail in a hiking area near Yosemite National Park, California. The bite occurred when I was sitting on a small boulder at a distance of 4.5 miles from the trail head with my cabin group at camp.

I had my arms dangling at my side and a five foot long rattlesnake bit me in the middle of my left palm. From this point, an amazing rescue took place, taking four hours to transport me the 4.5 miles to the trail head.

The camp director had previously called the hospital and a helicopter was waiting at the trail head. During the 30 minute helicopter ride I was going in and out of consciousness, having trouble keeping my eyes open.

We arrived at the Modesto hospital, where the doctor in the emergency room decided that my case was too severe to treat at that medical center. He told me this, which was the last thing. I heard before going unconscious.

Although I was unconscious for approximately the next 24 hours, I have heard about the following events from my parents.

I was taken from the Modesto hospital to the UC Davis Medical Center in Sacramento, the trauma center for Northern California. My snake bite was determined to be too severe for Modesto to deal with. At the UC Davis hospital I underwent a fasciotomy, which involved the doctors cutting open my arm from the palm up to about the middle of my biceps. This was to relieve the extreme pressure that had built up in my arm from the rattlesnake venom, making my arm as hard as a rock until the fasciotomy.

I spent the next 35 days in the UC Davis hospital, had eight surgeries performed for cleaning out the dead tissue from my arm, and finally had a skin graft from my leg to close up my arm, which had remained open for 30 days after the fasciotomy until the skin graft surgery. That is 10 surgeries in total at UC Davis.

I was released from the hospital on August 24, had four months of intense physical therapy, and flew to Duke University Medical Center in North Carolina for a follow-up surgery. This was a vascular flap surgery, during which they took a chunk of skin and muscle from my back, attached its blood vessels to the ones in my arm using microsurgery, and then stitched it to my arm. Although 2 emergency surgeries were required within 24 hours on account of blood loss, the vascular flap was a success, and after six more months of physical therapy; my hand had a significant improvement in mobility from when I left UC Davis and could move each finger only 2-3 millimetres.

My hand now has fully mobility and is about 80% as strong as it was before, thanks to my Dad and I resuming our rock climbing after a one year break due to the lack of strength in my left hand. I use it for about 90% of the things I used to do with my left hand (I am right handed). 13 surgeries, $700,000 worth of helicopter flights, surgeries, and hospital stays (paid by my insurance), and 20 months later, I am very happy with the outcome of this experience and my good fortune of getting through all this without any significant loss.

This is the reason you don't ever want to be bitten by a rattlesnake!

If you hear rattling FREEZE. Find the source before you move, so that you don't move right to the problem! Then move slowly and back away from the snake.

Think before moving. Verify that there is only ONE snake in the area!

John

Yes... a loud one close can cover up the sound of others... like sirens.

Another big point... it's SPRING... don't know what it's like down South, but the few that were in the Okanagan up this way and ones I've met elsewhere were like this... They have to grow a fair bit to develop rattles... but the fangs and venom come real early!

You won't get a 'mind your fingers' warning at all, but you might find many young ones... close at 'hand'...

a friend nearly lost his son that way... playing with what he thought was a garter snake but wasn't. Luckily they kept it for ID.

And no they didn't kill it (protected species - forget which offhand, but there aren't many there).

Doug 7rxc

I have been all over the local hills and never seen one until TODAY! I saw two and they were large, well not young ones. The first one I saw while approaching the cache http://coord.info/GC22GA6 at 10' I saw him on a rock. He never knew I was there and I was able to take a photo then I let it be and decided to go out the way I came. On the way up the next hill I walked up on another one that was on the jeep trail. It was amazing how it blend in with the red dirt. Thought about getting closer look but this one knew I was there and rattled and coiled. So I gave it a wide berth and went around it. when I got back above it on the jeep trail it was gone. So why today? It was overcast and cool but it has been getting warmer except to day was cool at noon with 83% humidity. That is what got on here to read about them on the forum. Great information! I did mostly everything right, but I should not have thrown the rock to scare the second one away, it just made it mad.

Thanks

If you are desert hiking, you may want to think about those doggie booties for your dog....we use those for our dog to protect her feet from the heat AND the cholla cactus balls....they are incredibly painful....they have little hooks on them and when our dog got them on her feet she tried to bite them off...they then were stuck on her tongue and all the way through her lip....we rarely take her desert caching anymore unless it is a VERY well worn trail.

We were caching in New River, AZ, this week and this guy was UNDER the cache container.....IMG_3709.jpg

:o That is a pretty close shot!

Nice camera....ZOOOOOOOM lens....I had three other pictures that were out of focus and or just a picture of the rocks....my heart was pounding but I wanted the shot....we left the cache on the side of the rocks so the next cacher didn't encounter what we did...I also spoke loudly about this snake in my cache log....GC2PPRK