Let me vent

gururyan

For me, this is the #1 reason I don't urban cache much at all anymore. I've found too many caches like this and I just have no interest in doing them anymore. Unfortunately, I haven't quite figured out a good system for me to find those urban cache gems so they get lost amongst the riff raff.

If you ever find a foolproof method, could you let me be the first to know? I'd pay good money for that! :P

--Larry

Closest solution I've found is to pick caches by cache owner. I have gsk file I created of all the caches placed by owners I know to place creative caches. It works pretty well.

Works to a point if you are familiar with the owner and his caches. But I know some COs who place outstanding caches and some total garbage. Also, if you are traveling you are unlikely to know much about the local cache owners.

C'mon a thread where everyone agrees??? You people are going to make the Earth turn backwards.:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

OK then. People place caches in the bank's landscaping in front of the windows or 10 feet from the drive-thru speaker because they enjoy finding caches in bank's landscaping in front of the windows or 10 feet from the drive-thru speaker. Or so I've been told. :ph34r:

I'm sure he'll be along presently to tell us that again.

Edited by briansnat

Hasn't been a problem for me yet. The caches I've looked for have been fun even when I didn't find them.

I love every day that I'm alive (well, there have been a few notable exceptions) but that doesn't mean I can't gripe about the weather. :)

But where you can't control the weather, you can choose where you cache.

You can choose where you cache. Finding worthwhile caches is becoming more and more of a chore.

I don't know about that. There are methods to avoid these caches. You just have refused to try them.

It should also be noted that if you don't like the caches that the OP listed and you still find yourself following the arrow into a fast food parking lot, you're doing something wrong.

Edited by sbell111

C'mon a thread where everyone agrees??? You people are going to make the Earth turn backwards.:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

OK then. People place caches in the bank's landscaping in front of the windows or 10 feet from the drive-thru speaker because they enjoy finding caches in bank's landscaping in front of the windows or 10 feet from the drive-thru speaker. Or so I've been told. :ph34r:

No... sadists aren't necessarily also masochists.

My post was actually a spoof of what a poster with, I don't know, about 20,000 posts, has said about 50 times; people place LPC's because they enjoy finding LPC's. I'll have to remember your retort. :anibad:

I understand. Feel free to use my retort as your own.

For me, this is the #1 reason I don't urban cache much at all anymore. I've found too many caches like this and I just have no interest in doing them anymore. Unfortunately, I haven't quite figured out a good system for me to find those urban cache gems so they get lost amongst the riff raff.

If you ever find a foolproof method, could you let me be the first to know? I'd pay good money for that! :P

--Larry

Closest solution I've found is to pick caches by cache owner. I have gsk file I created of all the caches placed by owners I know to place creative caches. It works pretty well.

I'll go to the maps and click on the satellite view. You can quickly tell then if there are structures nearby.

who of course obtained permission.

Yeah, I'm sure they did. :lol:

There are a few out there that tell you on the cache page that everyone who is watching you knows about the cache. That the cache has permission, and the people in there know it is there.

In those cases, I think this type of cache can be fun. It is awkward, but fun in a silly way to know you may be being watched.

However, without a note on the cache page I usually just skip these.

I'm not very fond of fishtank caches. When the listing pretty much says: "Muahahaha! This is right outside my window and I might be WATCHING you!" I pick another one...

I guess I don't "get" caches too close to someones home or work place or in their yard. Sure, it's a place the cache owner feels very secure and comfortable in, but it doesn't make me feel very comfortable. I've skipped over a cache that I suspect is placed very near the cache owners home, in the middle of a yard between houses. Only problem is, there are 2 apartment complexes facing that yard and I don't think everyone is informed about the cache... Just guessing here, because if it isn't something like that I have no clue why the cache owner would want to show that... err... special place. Same with the office window one, I didn't even bother going.

Eh... I guess I'm just not much of a ninja. :ph34r: I like urban caching since I don't have a car all the time, but I'm crap at stealth :laughing:

--Larry

Works to a point if you are familiar with the owner and his caches. But I know some COs who place outstanding caches and some total garbage. Also, if you are traveling you are unlikely to know much about the local cache owners.

I'm told that with a few several hours spent on reading local forums and a few several pocket queries you can find these easily.

--Larry

I'm told that with a few several hours spent on reading local forums and a few several pocket queries you can find these easily.

Yup. If you want to identify every cache that you won't like, the process takes a bit of time. However, if you just want a bunch of good caches to look for, the process is super fast and simple. Easy peasy, even. Edited by sbell111

No... sadists aren't necessarily also masochists.

My post was actually a spoof of what a poster with, I don't know, about 20,000 posts, has said about 50 times; people place LPC's because they enjoy finding LPC's. I'll have to remember your retort. :anibad:

I understand. Feel free to use my retort as your own.

Thanks! He's posted to this thread, but is ignoring that reference. I will remember. Then again, I was going to pull the plug at 5,000 posts. I see I've forgotten about that one.