Improving SWAG, one cache at a time

Redfist

I have also noticed the poor quality of swag and have started leaving some good gets as well - a mini-tape measure/key chain, a small bag that folds up into less than a square cm, a combo bottle/tin opener for camping, a sleeping mask.....the little plastic junk from cereal boxes isn't really appealing....

Thank you for the feedback about the SWAG items I purchased. The kids love the find, but they do get excited about the SWAG. My new mission for fun in addition to the find with my son, is to discover new & fun SWAG that will fit in the little containers. It is fun for him to choose items to put in as well.

I too will join the April SWAG replacement effort. I always carry extra SWAG with me and usually leave something off in caches that are not too impressive. I bought some really nice glass sculptures that are square and have a design lasered inside. They were at a dollar store that was going out of business. I had lots of them, but am down to one left. It will go in a special cache somewhere. I also started making my own SIG item that I will be dropping off soon. I think kids and adults alike will enjoy them. As soon as the ones I have made are dry I will post a picture of them. That's if I can post a picture. Last time I tried it did not work. Okay kids, here comes some really neat stuff you'll enjoy finding. Let's go cachers. Fill up those caches with quality SWAG.

We don't always trade swag, but when we do it has been a policy of ours to always leave something of more value than we traded for. Up to now we never really thought about removing the totally worthless items, but from now on we will form a habit of upgrading cache contents whether we trade or not. On the same note we have always tried to leave every trail we walk on the way to GZ a little cleaner than we found it, and will continue to do so, not only in April, but regardless of the month.

I'm pretty new to Geocaching (and to this forum-- Hi everyone! :) ), but I've already developed an interest in making neat stuff to leave in the cache box! I happen to have a button maker, so I came up with this:

GeocacheButton1.JPG

Which I hope people will find amusing. But here's my question for you all: out of habit, I added my website URL along the edge (I also happen to be a comic artist, and the URL leads to my webcomic, which is perfectly family friendly but not related to geocaching at all). Is this OK to do for swag, or is it against the rules? (Or is it just considered, y'know, uncouth? :rolleyes: ) I don't want to mistakenly offend anyone.

I plan to add my geocacher name to the next version, since that seems to be the thing to do...

I'm pretty new to Geocaching (and to this forum-- Hi everyone! :) ), but I've already developed an interest in making neat stuff to leave in the cache box! I happen to have a button maker, so I came up with this:

GeocacheButton1.JPG

Which I hope people will find amusing. But here's my question for you all: out of habit, I added my website URL along the edge (I also happen to be a comic artist, and the URL leads to my webcomic, which is perfectly family friendly but not related to geocaching at all). Is this OK to do for swag, or is it against the rules? (Or is it just considered, y'know, uncouth? :rolleyes: ) I don't want to mistakenly offend anyone.

I plan to add my geocacher name to the next version, since that seems to be the thing to do...

Another cool swag item! And especially nice because you made it yourself. I think the url is perfectly acceptable. Adding your geo name along the edge would be a very good addition.

Question for those of you who have custom pin-back buttons. Where do you get them made? SurveyContactTeam, I know you made your own, do you sell custom made buttons too?

Lone R: I sell my buttons (most of my designs relate to my comic), but not made-to-order ones, if that's what you're asking. There are lots of places online from which you can order buttons-- I'm not sure what the minimum order would be, but I'll guess around 100 pieces (and they get cheaper per unit the more you order). The store I got my button maker from, for example, will also print your buttons for you. (I'm in the Toronto area, and I bought from a place called Critical Buttons. I won't link to it because I'm not clear on whether that would be against forum rules, but I'm sure you can find it with a Google search.)

Question for those of you who have custom pin-back buttons. Where do you get them made? SurveyContactTeam, I know you made your own, do you sell custom made buttons too?

Lone R: I sell my buttons (most of my designs relate to my comic), but not made-to-order ones, if that's what you're asking. There are lots of places online from which you can order buttons-- I'm not sure what the minimum order would be, but I'll guess around 100 pieces (and they get cheaper per unit the more you order). The store I got my button maker from, for example, will also print your buttons for you. (I'm in the Toronto area, and I bought from a place called Critical Buttons. I won't link to it because I'm not clear on whether that would be against forum rules, but I'm sure you can find it with a Google search.)

Fantastic! I'm in Canada too. I'll check out the Critical Button website.

I originally asked on behalf of someone else who lives in the U.S.. Didn't expect that there would be a button place near me (Toronto). Thanks so much SurveyContactTeam. So maybe I'll end up finding one of your buttons in a cache someday. Looking forward to it. :)

I really like this and shall make my summer a summer of swag improvement. I see an amount of junk, but mostly its same for same. Same rubber balls, same stamps, same maze puzzles from Tesco etc.

Im also considering placing a "bad music" cache though.

Idea is a large cache to hold several cd's. The rule is: you must place a bad music cd you dont like in it, but, you must also take one. Im gonna call it "the cache of audable misery"