Improving SWAG, one cache at a time

Redfist

I've been noticing that 80% of caches I find that are large enough to hold SWAG, are generally largely empty or have SWAG no-one will care about. I think I'm going to go on a minor crusade improving things as I go. For my next 100 caches large enough to hold SWAG, I'm going to add good quality items and take nothing (with rare exceptions).

Personally, I rarely take SWAG. When I cache with my daughter though (11 years old), she really looks forward to it and gets bummed when she comes up empty. I want the experience of other younger cachers to be a positive one.

Perhaps April should be the month of the SWAG? :)

I've been noticing that 80% of caches I find that are large enough to hold SWAG, are generally largely empty or have SWAG no-one will care about. I think I'm going to go on a minor crusade improving things as I go. For my next 100 caches large enough to hold SWAG, I'm going to add good quality items and take nothing (with rare exceptions).

Personally, I rarely take SWAG. When I cache with my daughter though (11 years old), she really looks forward to it and gets bummed when she comes up empty. I want the experience of other younger cachers to be a positive one.

Oh please, take something. There is plenty of trash out there just waiting to be removed.

I'll join your April swag improvement drive and improve any caches I find.

Donuts for everyone! :omnomnom:

Oh please, take something. There is plenty of trash out there just waiting to be removed.

I'll join your April swag improvement drive and improve any caches I find.

Donuts for everyone! :omnomnom:

LOL - good point. Anything obviously massively sub-par (faded cracked cheap plastic McDonalds toys), I'll consider a SWAG CITO mini-event. :laughing:

For my next 100 caches large enough to hold SWAG, I'm going to add good quality items and take nothing (with rare exceptions).

There are two things I'd suggest, when you do this. First, don't fill a cache that looks like a muggle toy box. You don't want to reward neighborhood hooligans for stealing from caches. Second, don't advertise that you filled it with good quality items. At most, just post a note about visiting & cleaning out the trash.

Edited by kunarion
For my next 100 caches large enough to hold SWAG, I'm going to add good quality items and take nothing (with rare exceptions).

There are two things I'd suggest, when you do this. First, don't fill a cache that looks like a muggle toy box. You don't want to reward neighborhood hooligans for stealing everything from caches. Second, don't advertise that you filled it with good quality items. At most, just post a note about visiting & cleaning out the trash.

Thanks - I agree fully.

We have been trying to do the same universally. Spending a little more money getting sig items put together in one way or another that can also function as something cool. A lot of places will do personalized carbiners etc... for fairly decent prices. I try not to spend more than about 1.50 on a standard trade item, but we keep a few really cool things for special SWAG drops (we just dropped a multitool with an attached LED light the other day). I really believe if people see an overall increase in SWAG quality, others will follow along.

Most of the people that I cache with leave something decent. Usually each person leaves the same thing or something similar, like a theme. I can almost always tell which of my friends has recently found a cache I've found by looking at what's in it.

Right now I'm on an ocean life theme. Oriental Trading Company has a lot of good deals on small toys and party favors that are perfect for swag trading.

I've been thinking about signing up for the geocoin of the month club to increase my ability to place and trade awesome and trackable swag in [awesome or noteable] caches. I'm in agreement there's just too much bad swag out there...

Yay or nay?

Your idea is good and the thought is wonderful, but in our area coins are takin' a beating.

My other 2/3rds (CJ) has so many coins now, we got a small handtruck to move 'em around to events.

But even with many "doubles" she no longer places coins (of her own) in caches.

Some coins were swiped after just a few weeks of placing 'em.

On another thread a person caching since last April asked (after reading posts) if T.B.s couldn't be traded for swag. We had a guy in our area caching for two years and still trading T.B.s and coins for swag ! Few seem to read anything anymore.

Some other caching sites crosslist with this one. Some don't have trackable trade items. One of those folks would (probably) consider it swag if they weren't members of this site too.

Maybe you'll luck out and a coin will last a while, but you could fill a cache with decent swag on what some of those coins are worth.

Edited by cerberus1

What a great idea! We first started geocaching as a family activity years ago. I think the swag was better in those days and my son would actually get excited about going on a treasure hunt. Most of the caches I've found lately, even the regular size ones, rarely have anything a kid would want. I intend to stock up on a few fun items and drop them off at any kid friendly caches I visit!

I'm in on this one. I've been thinking about the lack of SWAG lately and I have 2 children that go with me who really look forward to finding "good stuff."

April it is. I'm headed to Walmart instead of the dollar store for this challenge. Thanks for putting it out there.

We try to leave something at every hide we find.

After removing all the wrappers, candy and empty bottles, we'll fill 'em with things that take up room, making the container appear in much better shape than we found it.

We've got everything from Cabela's arcade coins to 120ct crayon boxes stashed in our vehicles.

Problem is, we haven't had anything pop up but micros in a few Months... :rolleyes:

I've been thinking about signing up for the geocoin of the month club to increase my ability to place and trade awesome and trackable swag in [awesome or noteable] caches. I'm in agreement there's just too much bad swag out there...

Yay or nay?

Your idea is good and the thought is wonderful, but in our area coins are takin' a beating.

My other 2/3rds (CJ) has so many coins now, we got a small handtruck to move 'em around to events.

But even with many "doubles" she no longer places coins (of her own) in caches.

Some coins were swiped after just a few weeks of placing 'em.

On another thread a person caching since last April asked (after reading posts) if T.B.s couldn't be traded for swag. We had a guy in our area caching for two years and still trading T.B.s and coins for swag ! Few seem to read anything anymore.

Some other caching sites crosslist with this one. Some don't have trackable trade items. One of those folks would (probably) consider it swag if they weren't members of this site too.

Maybe you'll luck out and a coin will last a while, but you could fill a cache with decent swag on what some of those coins are worth.

Good point. Me and the caching crew have noticed this locally - though we've been trying to combat the problem by placing trackables in caches that don't get a lot of visitors or are in an obscure place. They don't move as quickly, but those who pick them up tend to have courtesy and log them or move closer to a goal.

It might be an expensive thing to amass coins. Might rethink my decision - thanks!

Yay or nay?

I would tread VERY lightly when referring to SWAG and geocoins in the same category. Many misread very easily and could take it that geocoins are meant to be traded for. Generally, they are not.

Sure geocoins would be awesome SWAG if you wish to use them as such and "give" them away. I would yet however, not lump them into a discussion of SWAG.

I think it would be a major improvement if COs would regularly check their caches and remove the junk and wipe down the good trinkets and wipe out the dirt in the cache. A clean, neat cache is a nice cache to find and to leave good quality trinkets in. I'm into the swag, especially personal handcrafted stuff ...see my signature links.

Yay or nay?

I would tread VERY lightly when referring to SWAG and geocoins in the same category. Many misread very easily and could take it that geocoins are meant to be traded for. Generally, they are not.

Sure geocoins would be awesome SWAG if you wish to use them as such and "give" them away. I would yet however, not lump them into a discussion of SWAG.

They'd only be gifts for an FTF - unactivated.

I think it is a great idea. How is improvement ever a bad thing? I have yet to find very many caches, being new to the obsession. I have however noticed that there is definitely good swag and bad swag. April should bring better weather here (we have had 9-10 inches of snow in the last 60hrs) and should mean I get to find a lot more caches, so I am in. Great idea Redfist.

I have practiced this philosophy for many years. I often leave much better than I take. When I find that rare cache that is already full of quality swag, I carry a few nicer items for those as well.

Love the idea and will stock up on my swag to bring with me. I have only visited about 4 or 5 caches with good swag and all from the same cache owner; the rest is stuff I'd throw away if I found it in my house...one card from a deck,used McDonald's toy, used toy car, used pencils, leaves, used toys toys toys....all junk. I always bring decent items to trade but never trade because there is nothng I would want. Don't forget that us big kids like swag too! It makes it a little more fun :laughing:

I always leave my sig coins even if there is nothing to trade. I managed to get 2 into a cigar container cache last night. For skirt lifter bisons, I often leave a couple somewhere under the skirt And I will sometimes leave them in the bark of a nearby tree.

AGREED!!

I went to the Dollar Store and loaded up on cool stuff. I even got calculators for a buck!

I'm all in for improving swag. It's great to see my boy's face light up on a good swag cache, followed by a "Wow Dad, check it OUT!"

- how about a swag improvement challenge of some sort? It would be hard to manage I suppose...

We totally agree! It's very disappointing to take our grandkids geocaching and not find anything worth the hunt. Even when we adults go out by ourselves, the little kid inside me still wants to look at loot, even though we rarely take anything for ourselves. When we restock our own caches with swag, we often find after a few months that everything is gone and nothing left behind. It's a shame but seems to be a common problem.

Maybe your crusade will get other cachers thinking about this - swag doesn't have to be expensive, and homemade items are always appreciated! But please - NO dirty golf balls, even as a joke!

My husband and I are fairly new to caching, but we've definitely seen a variety of SWAG, good and bad. We hit an ammo can just last week with a used blistex, a dental floss/toothpick, and a package of fruit snacks that might have been years old. Gross! We cleaned all that out and added some nicer things. I always carry a small shoulder bag with my supplies and a bunch of handmade charms/trinkets and nice party favors from Wal-Mart with me when I'm out caching - it makes me smile to see someone comment in their log about taking something I've left.

My son (10) & I are very new to gc. We have only had 1 find with SWAG so far & he was very excited. I have a bag of things to leave and want to be sure that this is the kind of stuff that is fun to get. Here's what we have: Keychains with squeeze lights, clip on watches, mini flashlights, squinkies & bugs & dinosaurs. I have put them all in little plastic bags to help protect them. Does this sound like the things are considered "good" to leave? We love doing this & want to leave good things.

My son (10) & I are very new to gc. We have only had 1 find with SWAG so far & he was very excited. I have a bag of things to leave and want to be sure that this is the kind of stuff that is fun to get. Here's what we have: Keychains with squeeze lights, clip on watches, mini flashlights, squinkies & bugs & dinosaurs. I have put them all in little plastic bags to help protect them. Does this sound like the things are considered "good" to leave? We love doing this & want to leave good things.

:D

My girls would be THRILLED with those!!!

We're new at GC and kids love it and love finding a "treasure box". It is very disappointing when you spend a lot of time looking and walking for one and its filled with trash. Trash is trash, there IS such a thing as cool junk. SWAG doesn't have to be expensive, but you can tell when thought has been put into what is left in these caches and when some don't follow the trade even or trade up. I know it isn't always about the SWAG but containers that are big enough to hold items were meant.....to hold items.

We just had these buttons made and started dropping off in caches we liked. We put all our items in plastic baggies which are very inexpensive at Wal-mart. $1-$2/100 depending on the size. It helps protect the items and we insert a sig sheet. Even the things that aren't made by us go in baggies.

1a.jpg

2a.jpg

3a.jpg

Edited by adrians.galaxy.crew

We're new at GC and kids love it and love finding a "treasure box". It is very disappointing when you spend a lot of time looking and walking for one and its filled with trash. Trash is trash, there IS such a thing as cool junk. SWAG doesn't have to be expensive, but you can tell when thought has been put into what is left in these caches and when some don't follow the trade even or trade up. I know it isn't always about the SWAG but containers that are big enough to hold items were meant.....to hold items.

We just had these buttons made and started dropping off in caches we liked. We put all our items in plastic baggies which are very inexpensive at Wal-mart. $1-$2/100 depending on the size. It helps protect the items and we insert a sig sheet. Even the things that aren't made by us go in baggies.

3a.jpg

Seriously cool. I especially like the Official Geocacher button and the compass.

3a.jpg

Seriously cool. I especially like the Official Geocacher button and the compass.

I got a about 100 of the compasses really cheap on ebay and printed the logos on iron on tranfer paper and ironed them on. (well the wife did :) ) The buttons I hope if people like them will have new designs to collect. The next ones are,I think really cool. :)

So I've been reading this thread for a while and think I;ve figured something out. At the beginning, or close enough, I started to see people mentioning others trading SWAG for a TB/GC. I assumed they were talking about a habit that I have, but have since realized otherwise. I agree fully that people should not trade and KEEP a TB/GC, but I do something that I think is fairly okay. I treat GC/TB's like SWAG that has to keep moving. If I find a TB/GC that I just must take I make sure to trade it for multiple pieces of SWAG, but I realize that even though I traded for it the coin or bug must move on towards its' goal.

Simply put, am I okay in trading SWAG for a TB/GC as long as I realize that it must continue to move? I never keep them, but I will hold onto them (no longer than a month) to ensure that I can help them on their way toward whatever goal they may have. Regardless, if I ever take ANYTHING from a cache (trash, SWAG, etc) I always make sure to put something - but more often it seems to be a 1 out 2 in thing - back in.

So I've been reading this thread for a while and think I;ve figured something out. At the beginning, or close enough, I started to see people mentioning others trading SWAG for a TB/GC. I assumed they were talking about a habit that I have, but have since realized otherwise. I agree fully that people should not trade and KEEP a TB/GC, but I do something that I think is fairly okay. I treat GC/TB's like SWAG that has to keep moving. If I find a TB/GC that I just must take I make sure to trade it for multiple pieces of SWAG, but I realize that even though I traded for it the coin or bug must move on towards its' goal.

Simply put, am I okay in trading SWAG for a TB/GC as long as I realize that it must continue to move? I never keep them, but I will hold onto them (no longer than a month) to ensure that I can help them on their way toward whatever goal they may have. Regardless, if I ever take ANYTHING from a cache (trash, SWAG, etc) I always make sure to put something - but more often it seems to be a 1 out 2 in thing - back in.

Travellers don't need to be traded for. If you want to take it (and move it to another cache), you can, no need to leave any swag. If you would like to also leave an extra bit of swag, feel free! :) You can leave as much as you want without taking anything, if that makes you happy!

Those are excellent choices. Thanks for improving swag. I like a nice plastic bug

and will trade for those!

Like the original poster, I have been putting more items in my geocaching bag

with the same thought of upgrading swag wherever I can.