GPS on a small budget

first78

Can anyone help me...I initially borrowed a friend's GPS (E Trex) to start caching and very quickly became hooked on it!! She needed her GPS back after a few months and as I'm currently unemployed I'm wondering if it's possible to get a GPS for around £50 as I would love to continue caching.

I'm based in the UK and am a total technophobe so just want something that's fairly idiot proof...can anyone give me any advice of what make of GPS to look for or where to look to pick up a cheap one that will do the job.

Thanks in advance.

Can anyone help me...I initially borrowed a friend's GPS (E Trex) to start caching and very quickly became hooked on it!! She needed her GPS back after a few months and as I'm currently unemployed I'm wondering if it's possible to get a GPS for around £50 as I would love to continue caching.

I'm based in the UK and am a total technophobe so just want something that's fairly idiot proof...can anyone give me any advice of what make of GPS to look for or where to look to pick up a cheap one that will do the job.

Thanks in advance.

I started recently too, and I went with the eTrex H. It was the cheapest I could find, and I managed to get it on ebay for £50, although I think that might have just been a lucky bargain. The eTrex is an entry level device though, a cheap option from a good manufacturer, and if you're already comfortable with using it it's probably the most sensible option :)

Thanks in advance.

Thanks, I think I'll have a look on ebay and see if I can get one for a good price, I'm really keen to get caching again!!

I started recently too, and I went with the eTrex H. It was the cheapest I could find, and I managed to get it on ebay for £50, although I think that might have just been a lucky bargain. The eTrex is an entry level device though, a cheap option from a good manufacturer, and if you're already comfortable with using it it's probably the most sensible option :)

Edited by first78

While the High Sensitivity recievers are nice, I would prefer USB connectivity and a base map over the High Sensitivity reciever. If I were you I'd go back a few generations to the Magellan eXplorist series. Either a 210, 400, 500, or 600. All four have USB Interface and base map. the 400 Adds SD card compatibility, the 500 adds color screen, and the 600 adds compass and barometer. you can use GSAK to upload caches to them, and they will contain a small amount of cache data as well. Dif, Terrain, Type and hint usually. I've seen the 400's go for as low as $20 plus shipping U.S. on ebay. I personally have 6 400's and use them with my cubscout Pack. They definetely aren't the latest and greatest, but they are accurate, get a fix quickly enough, and are my favorite pre-paperless GPS's for geocaching.

You mentioned you were a technophobe, so if you don't plan on hooking the gps up to a computer to upload caches, I would still look for a unit with a basemap, like an eXplorist 200 or 300, or original garmin legend.

here is a quick info chart on these. http://www.gpscentral.ca/products/magellan/exploristcomparison.htm I am pretty sure they made European versions of all of these, so instead of the North america basemap they would come with a European basemap. You may be a little weary of it, but If I remember correctly there was a way of putting the Europe basemap on a North American model and vise versa. There is a small risk of bricking your unit when you do that, so given your technophobia that may not be an option for you, just thought I'd give you the info.

Edited by btl-a4

While the High Sensitivity recievers are nice, I would prefer USB connectivity and a base map over the High Sensitivity reciever. If I were you I'd go back a few generations to the Magellan eXplorist series. Either a 210, 400, 500, or 600. All four have USB Interface and base map. the 400 Adds SD card compatibility, the 500 adds color screen, and the 600 adds compass and barometer. you can use GSAK to upload caches to them, and they will contain a small amount of cache data as well. Dif, Terrain, Type and hint usually. I've seen the 400's go for as low as $20 plus shipping U.S. on ebay. I personally have 6 400's and use them with my cubscout Pack. They definetely aren't the latest and greatest, but they are accurate, get a fix quickly enough, and are my favorite pre-paperless GPS's for geocaching.

You mentioned you were a technophobe, so if you don't plan on hooking the gps up to a computer to upload caches, I would still look for a unit with a basemap, like an eXplorist 200 or 300, or original garmin legend.

here is a quick info chart on these. http://www.gpscentral.ca/products/magellan/exploristcomparison.htm I am pretty sure they made European versions of all of these, so instead of the North america basemap they would come with a European basemap. You may be a little weary of it, but If I remember correctly there was a way of putting the Europe basemap on a North American model and vise versa. There is a small risk of bricking your unit when you do that, so given your technophobia that may not be an option for you, just thought I'd give you the info.

Thanks very much for the advice, this type of device looks way out of my league in terms of technology, I wouldn't have the first idea about downloading maps or connecting the device to the computer. I think I just need a very basic gps for now and hopefully I'll get to know some other cachers who live locally, then I'll be able to pick their brains for more info about more sophisticated devices.

Hi- When you get a chance you might want to consider the "Magellan eXplorist GC". It is made just for caching and is a wonderful little unit for the price and the enjoyment it offers. You can get one from REI.COM for about $150 USD and and has a very easy learning curve... almost turn on and go!

A nice feature is the "Find Closest Cache" which I like to use just after logging the recent find and I'm on my way for another hike!

Cheers- ChowRunner