Found, but not signed

MarMis

What if you discover that a cacher did "claim" a find on your cachesite, but didn't sign the logbook.

In first instance I just asked if it was easy or dificult to find. (because of GPS reception). He said it was an easy find for him. For me it was a bit strange because I had only difficult and dnf's before. But yeah maybe it was easy for him.

So I asked a bit more specific question about the cache. No reaction anymore.

I'm a bit in limbo what to do. Find or is it a do not find, because he didn't sign the log ?!

What if you discover that a cacher did "claim" a find on your cachesite, but didn't sign the logbook.

In first instance I just asked if it was easy or dificult to find. (because of GPS reception). He said it was an easy find for him. For me it was a bit strange because I had only difficult and dnf's before. But yeah maybe it was easy for him.

So I asked a bit more specific question about the cache. No reaction anymore.

I'm a bit in limbo what to do. Find or is it a do not find, because he didn't sign the log ?!

If he didnt sign the log, then he can only claim a find at the cache owners discretion. If you feel that they did not find it and they can not prove it, you have the right to delete it, but whether you should is up to you.

You could also provide enough details, drag it into the forums and turn it into a drama filled episode, or just let it go and forget about it. :D

Edited by 4wheelin_fool

Part of the challenge of "finding" a cache is figuring out how to retrieve it in order to sign the log. Sometimes that challenge is simply to retrieve it without being noticed by muggles, other times the cache may be visible but you have to figure out how to get it.

There are only 3 "rules" in geocaching, and one of those is about signing the logbook. AFAIC, if you don't write in the logbook then you shouldn't get credit for finding the cache. If you don't have to sign, then you could just claim finds for getting close enough to see the cache. That would sure make those 1000+ numbers run trails a lot different, "I spotted each of these containers from the car as I was driving along at 70MPH. Since you can't prove I didn't, I'm claiming finds on all of them." Signing the logbook is generally the only proof of visit one needs.

I'd strongly suggest you read this recent thread before going any further, just to be sure what you may be getting into.

Stop trying to scare people. Thats a pretty extreme example of what may happen. Absolutely nothing may also happen if the log is deleted.

Hey, at least I didn't link them to a "puritan" posting by Toz! :lol:

You are absolutely right, and in spite of a few here that will argue minutiae, most of us believe the guidelines to state that policing bogus finders logs is a responsibility of being a cache owner.

I don't see why it matters really. If someone wants to lie about finding a cache that's on them. Shouldn't effect your geocaching career any. Honestly if someones lying about logs their probably not going to be in the game long. And if they do their reputation as a liar will detour other cachers from coming in contact with them. Therefore providing them with a lonely caching career and that doesn't sound to fun now does it :P

I don't see why it matters really. If someone wants to lie about finding a cache that's on them.

This may be one of the good examples of where it does matter. The op mentions that people were stating it was difficult and that there were DNF's. If the DNFs are indicative of it not being there, which admittedly we co not know, it may indicate a cache that is missing. A sudden Found log would keep an owner from checking and waste the time of subsequent hunters.

Also, as pointed out earlier, we all make the commitment to make a reasonable effort to delete bogus online logs, of which this one is as admited by the cacher.

Edited by baloo&bd

I don't see why it matters really. If someone wants to lie about finding a cache that's on them. Shouldn't effect your geocaching career any. Honestly if someones lying about logs their probably not going to be in the game long. And if they do their reputation as a liar will detour other cachers from coming in contact with them. Therefore providing them with a lonely caching career and that doesn't sound to fun now does it :P

Not quite. Phony logs can effect others. Fake found it logs can delay necessary owner maintenance and there have been many situations where cachers were enticed into a cache hunt thanks to a recent "find". I know I did it. I know of another cacher who drove an hour RT to find a cache that had long thought been missing because of a phony find. Wasting the time and gas of your fellow geocachers is not harmless.

When you log a find you are essentially telling the CO and the community that the cache is there. It can confuse the cache owner and the community if you do so falsely.

As far as a "lonely caching career"? All you need to do is check out this thread. Though the names (usually) aren't mentioned, it's often easy to find out who they are and many are cachers who have been honored by the geocaching community in some manner for their prolific cache "finding" record.

Edited by briansnat

There are only 3 "rules" in geocaching,

And there is only one rule and certainty in these forums.

No matter what you say, someone will be along to disagree with you.

:drama:

:omnomnom: Here are the three rules exactly as they appear in the FAQ:
What are the rules in Geocaching?

1. If you take something from the cache, leave something of equal or greater value.

2. Write about your find in the cache logbook.

3. Log your experience at www.geocaching.com.

Yes there appears to be a rule to write about your find in the log book. But while you can only do 1 and 2 if you found the cache; you can log your experience at www.geocaching.com whether you found the cache or not. Funny that number 3 says nothing about what type of log to use.

I will agree that if you didn't find the cache you should use a DNF log. But what happens if you find the cache and your pen stops writting? Or your find the cache and the log in the cache is too wet to write on? You couldn't comply with rule number 2, yet you found the caches. Do you want cachers to stop there, or should they try to follow rule number 3 and write about their experience of finding the cache. Strangely enough we don't get threads about people who sign the logs but never log online. Seems they are just as guilty of not following the rules. Why no big outcry?

I don't object to owners deleting logs if they believe the poster never found the cache. Sometimes a cacher will be too vain to admit a DNF and will post a Found log when they really didn't find the cache. If the cache owner believes this is the case and the poster can't provide some alternative proof, then by all means delete the log.

I also like to point out that geocaching is a fun, light activity. The concept of policing the log is meant to keep it that way. Imagine some jerk sitting at a computer just logging caches they never even looked for. These logs should be deleted because they only serve to confuse geocachers who are actually searching for this cache. However if a geocacher has actually looked for the cache and found something they believe is the cache, deleting the log should be done with care. You can really ruin someone's day calling them a cheater when they simply are trying to record a cache they have found. Certainly you can explain the reasons you should sign the log. Perhaps that will convince them to log a note instead. But I don't see the point in deleting logs of someone who found the cache just because they failed to sign the log for some reason.

Public notice:

While not expressly stated, the above was entirely the opinion of the poster, and not necessarily endorsed by the geocaching community at large.

I'm beginning to think that carpel tunnel is just a myth!

Naw.... he just copies and pastes.

Naw.... he didn't use the "p" word. :P

I have had 2 where i was unable to sign, mainly due to not inteding to do the cache before and not having a pen on me... I allways try to take a photo of the area (without giving away the hide) to show that i have actually been there

If he didnt sign the log, then he can only claim a find at the cache owners discretion. If you feel that they did not find it and they can not prove it, you have the right to delete it, but whether you should is up to you.

You could also provide enough details, drag it into the forums and turn it into a drama filled episode, or just let it go and forget about it. :D