Writing a note for a missing TB

Nived87

If you find that a trackable is missing when you visit a cache, do you post a note on the trackable's page to let the owner know?

I've found a number of trackables that are in the cache's inventory but are not in the cache. I always mention the missing TBs in my cache log and I write a note on the trackable's page. I've seen some that have been missing for more than a year and I was the first one to post a note letting the owner know.

What do you know when you find that a trackable is missing?

We always add a "note" log to the traveler's page should it not be present in that particular cache. Many times, it is the only verification that the owner knows it is truly missing. The traveler owner does not receive any cache logs as the CO does.

Reasoning: Although cache owners do get emails regarding logs stating that traveler isn't present, most it seems, are reluctant to mark the traveler as missing, removing it from the cache inventory. They leave it to the traveler owner -- but the traveler owner never gets that notification unless the info is also placed on the traveler page.

The fact that the traveler is not present (by NAME) should be noted both in the log and a traveler page entry. No tracking # is required.

Many cache owners do not realise that they can (and should <--- debatable opinion ;) ) mark a trackable as missing if it's not in their cache and hasn't been in it for quite a while*.

Many who do know sometimes hestitate to do it because they think that to mark an item as missing kills it off for ever - It doesn't - It can always be brought back into the game if it's subsequently found elsewhere.

MrsB

*Our definition of "quite a while" is 4+ weeks.

I just found a cache in my area that had the "needs maintenance" attribute. I looked through the logs to see why and had to go back through a bunch of finds all the way to last August. Someone posted a "needs maintenance" because a TB was missing. That's the right idea but an improper use of the NM log in my opinion. It should have been posted as a note instead.

I just found a cache in my area that had the "needs maintenance" attribute. I looked through the logs to see why and had to go back through a bunch of finds all the way to last August. Someone posted a "needs maintenance" because a TB was missing. That's the right idea but an improper use of the NM log in my opinion. It should have been posted as a note instead.

Yes, I agree.

(And maybe that cache owner doesn't realise that they need to post an Owner's Maintenance log to remove the NM attribute from the cache page - That's a whole separate discussion :) )

MrsB

If no one else has already noted the missing trackable on its home page I'll do it, but I don't do it if others have stated the same thing already, that's just redundant :)

While it may be redundant, it is a good idea to look at the traveler's page to see if a note has been logged regarding its' being missing. Most don't think of doing that. It is important. It pulls the chain of the traveler owner, the cache logs don't!

If no one else has already noted the missing trackable on its home page I'll do it, but I don't do it if others have stated the same thing already, that's just redundant :)

While it may be redundant, it is a good idea to look at the traveler's page to see if a note has been logged regarding its' being missing. Most don't think of doing that. It is important. It pulls the chain of the traveler owner, the cache logs don't!

That's what I mean. I look on the TB page and if it's already got two or three 'hey this thing is missing' logs I don't bother. I always write it on the cache page no matter what.