how to generate a route ( oregon450) that matches your PQ route

OK heres the problem ,,on a geocaching trip we used ground speak google maps to plan our route and caches along a route, fine so far . Now the problem started how do I get the exact same route into my oregon450? We tried google earth since the oregon 450 says it uses kml or kmz , everytime I tried to import the kml (or z) into my oregon it came up with an error,,could not find ground overlay (something like that I forget the exact phrase since this was a month ago,sorry)

I guess the easiest answer would be for some of you to tell me how you match your pq route with the route in your gps?

Thanks shaker962

PS hope this makes sense lol

I am not familiar with the Oregons but I have done something similar my CSX and Mapsource. I believe the Oregons can use Basecamp, also have not tried but heard is similar to Mapsource. What I have done, is I imported my caches into the mapsource program and then from the program I created a route in the order I wanted to find the caches on my drive. I then imported that route into my CSX and then followed it from the unit.

I don't know if this would be the same process for the basecamp software but I think it should be similar. I hope this helps.

One other thing, I believe if you are going to drive this route you will need mapping software that allows for this feature like City Navigator, Topo 24K, or the free ones.

There might be an easier way. Create a GPX file of the caches you want to find (using Mapsource, Basecamp, GSAK or whatever program you prefer) and load it into the GPS'r. Use find cache to start navigating to the first one on the route and off you go. After logging as found (hopefully) touch the "find next nearest" and it will start navigating to that one. This assumes that they are in a linear order which is highly likely. Seems to me this gets the job done with less work.

You will have to change modes at each cache. Go from driving to off-road (which gives you the arrow) and then back to on-road for the next one. You can do this by changing profiles (which I wouldn't do, leave it on the automobile one) or using the "Where To" icon to go back and forth.

Also the free maps that many use are not routable.

You didn't say what maps you had on the device which is important.

You could use "Create a route" on your profile page.

acctually i do creat a route on my profile page,,and do caches along that route,,,but I cant seem to figure out how to get that same route into my oregon450 lol

Once you have the route saved, click on Saved Routes and create a PQ from there. It will ask you how far from the route you would like to find caches from. ie(.1 to 4 miles) Great tool.

Build Pocket Queries>Find Caches Along A Route>Your Created Routes, Select the route that you want then scroll to the bottom of the page and click on Create GPX of Route. That should get you the same route that you can copy to your GPX directory and should load up under routes that you can select on your GPSr.

Build Pocket Queries>Find Caches Along A Route>Your Created Routes, Select the route that you want then scroll to the bottom of the page and click on Create GPX of Route. That should get you the same route that you can copy to your GPX directory and should load up under routes that you can select on your GPSr.

Thanks billy goat ,i did see that build gpx of route thing but it did not seem to do anything when I clicked on it. or rather my gps did not seem to do anything with it,,ill have to look more into how it loads routes

thanks very much