Geocaching with pets?

jgc3

Hi all,

I'm asking for anyone who caches with an animal ( all K9's ??? ) but if

you cache with A parrot (?!?) or anything we'd like to hear from you for May's issue

of my magazine.

Any photo's of your animal out there during the hunt... ( for the cache! )

Regards

James

imag03481.jpgThe lady on the left is my wife (RonyKenshin), on the right in Dexter. He's a Norwegian Buhund, and comes on almost all caching trips with us. He's very patient, but wasn't always that way. He used to bark all the time while we were hunting, but now he's pretty patient.

Sorry he's no parrot!

Edited by LukeTrocity

imag03481.jpgThe lady on the left is my wife (RonyKenshin), on the right in Dexter. He's a Norwegian Buhund, and comes on almost all caching trips with us. He's very patient, but wasn't always that way. He used to bark all the time while we were hunting, but now he's pretty patient.

Sorry he's no parrot!

:D Yes no parrot.. I'll be surprised if I get one posted.. you never know with cachers!

I don't know of that breed, are they popular over your way?

Thanks for your post.. excellent photo.. much appreciated..

Regards

James

We have two cats. They stay at home, but we bring them travel bugs to inspect from time to time.

5e3b2705-905d-4906-8c5f-137584791381.jpg573de1e2-e66c-4597-b127-f6cddae30fdc.jpg

I adore cats, thanks for the post, I've always been a cat person, until recently that I've been looking after two dogs.. and they often come out with us, not as much as I'd like, but now I'm also a dog person..

Thanks for your post

Regards

James

I just started bringing along the pup for park and woods caches. He really enjoys it, but never helps. Just prances around and investigates everything and anything in the area and tries very hard to get as muddy as possible!

And my cat has her own TB now. "Minxy's Mouse" ee31d44f-2bc1-4432-85ea-4d440d137f5a.jpg

I totally understand the muddy bit.. now having dogs as mentioned in my other post They certainly enjoy the outdoors.. but if only we could make a "bone" flavoured cache tub!!!! They would join in the fun..

Thanks for the post

Regards

James

Sorry he's no parrot!

:D Yes no parrot.. I'll be surprised if I get one posted.. you never know with cachers!

Regards

James

No Dexters breed is pretty uncommon in the U.S. Last I heard there were about 300 nationwide. The breed is considered an ancient breed, and in fact they were used by Vikings for hunting and guarding. I think the idea was they were light enough that the didn't sink in the snow. So you would have 2 Buhunds corner a bear, and the bear would just wear itself out trying to get through the snow. They wouldn't sink so they would just run circles around it. That's what I've heard anyway, I am unsure how accurate that is.

One of the perils of caching with a dog in NJ is ticks! Already this past month Dexter has had 4 and I have had 1. Unfortunately, frontline doesn't prevent them from biting just surviving. I am currently trying some natural solutions as bug repellents for him. The first being Rose geranium oil, I put 4 small drops on his collar before a hike. I'm hoping this works, because I wouldn't want to use anything non natural on him. The frontline is bad enough in my opinion, but quite necessary in this state.

On 1/1/11 he became trackable, and he has already gone 486 miles so far. We're hoping to really get some "mileage" on him when the weather gets out. He needs at least 1 longer walk a day otherwise he gets crazy. Usually if we get him out in the woods to do 3-5 miles he's tired when we get home (depending on terrain). Like I said when he was a puppy he would sit at the GZ and just bark because we weren't moving anywhere. My wife and I would be searching while he just barked away. After quite a few caching trips now he gets that its a good time to relax and chill out.

imag0120m.jpg

See there he is just chillen!

I have cats and no dogs but I take the geokids and geohubby caching now. Have finally got the hubby hooked now which is good! Trouble is I am impatient, so often hog the GPS device, which isn't good! But if I spot the cache quickly I will do the old hotter and colder technique to help them find it. Trouble is they don't like to get dirty, so I often have to do the getting stuck in bit!

We got a yellow lab pup this past Christmas. His name is Gus, and he gets a treat when we arrive at a cache (after he's sniffed it, of course!) Last time out, he caught on enough to follow our tracks off the main trail as we doubled back to the car. Now we have to get him to follow other cachers' tracks to caches we haven't been to yet. :anibad:

e1c04ae2-e8b4-477b-8965-272548727f0f.jpg

On a sadder note, Gus came into our lives after our dog Molly passed away. My wife's caching name is MollyGSP & Me. Molly was a German Shorthaired Pointer, thus the GSP. Some thought it was a typo on GPS.

70b8a116-c30f-4467-857f-56c573c94e0c.jpg

Thanks for the info on the breed. Must be a worry with the ticks but I assume it would improve with the seasons.. luckily I haven't discovered any creepy bugs yet.. the odd snake, plenty of kangaroo's and emu's.. and a rather unhappy koala... normal flies, mozzies... crossing fingers this time next year still no ticks on my list!

Sorry he's no parrot!

Regards

James

No Dexters breed is pretty uncommon in the U.S. Last I heard there were about 300 nationwide. The breed is considered an ancient breed, and in fact they were used by Vikings for hunting and guarding. I think the idea was they were light enough that the didn't sink in the snow. So you would have 2 Buhunds corner a bear, and the bear would just wear itself out trying to get through the snow. They wouldn't sink so they would just run circles around it. That's what I've heard anyway, I am unsure how accurate that is.

One of the perils of caching with a dog in NJ is ticks! Already this past month Dexter has had 4 and I have had 1. Unfortunately, frontline doesn't prevent them from biting just surviving. I am currently trying some natural solutions as bug repellents for him. The first being Rose geranium oil, I put 4 small drops on his collar before a hike. I'm hoping this works, because I wouldn't want to use anything non natural on him. The frontline is bad enough in my opinion, but quite necessary in this state.

On 1/1/11 he became trackable, and he has already gone 486 miles so far. We're hoping to really get some "mileage" on him when the weather gets out. He needs at least 1 longer walk a day otherwise he gets crazy. Usually if we get him out in the woods to do 3-5 miles he's tired when we get home (depending on terrain). Like I said when he was a puppy he would sit at the GZ and just bark because we weren't moving anywhere. My wife and I would be searching while he just barked away. After quite a few caching trips now he gets that its a good time to relax and chill out.

imag0120m.jpg

See there he is just chillen!

Had to laugh.. "don't like to get dirty.." that's a first for a guy eh?

But seriously though, thanks for the reply. It's good that you all can

find some caches together. I was out yesterday and had the dogs along

but they just weren't into helping.. too many distractions.. water..

birds.. people.. river boats.. cars.. but it was fun.. ended up finding

an easy one.. so easy almost logged itself!

I have cats and no dogs but I take the geokids and geohubby caching now. Have finally got the hubby hooked now which is good! Trouble is I am impatient, so often hog the GPS device, which isn't good! But if I spot the cache quickly I will do the old hotter and colder technique to help them find it. Trouble is they don't like to get dirty, so I often have to do the getting stuck in bit!

Yes I was lucky enough to be with our dog once going

straight to the cache hiding spot and start sniffing

around.. just happens I think it liked the smell next

to the tree stump but hey I'll take the find..

No picture, but I have my dog with me now and then, he's even found some caches before I did.. Very handy.

Yes I don't know why we all buy the dogs toys etc when you're right

they all seem to like to munch on a nice free stick!!

Our Golden can find caches but hasn't learned to give us the information. If I watch her closely I'll see her give it a quick sniff then go on looking for more interesting things like deer droppings, bones, or nice chewable sticks.

Sorry about Molly.. Gus sounds like a fast learner.. I guess they are pretty

intelligent.. amazing animals.. one of ours is a lab.. the other is a pound

puppy lab / kelpie cross.. I can see how you might think of the "typo"

We got a yellow lab pup this past Christmas. His name is Gus, and he gets a treat when we arrive at a cache (after he's sniffed it, of course!) Last time out, he caught on enough to follow our tracks off the main trail as we doubled back to the car. Now we have to get him to follow other cachers' tracks to caches we haven't been to yet. :anibad:

e1c04ae2-e8b4-477b-8965-272548727f0f.jpg

On a sadder note, Gus came into our lives after our dog Molly passed away. My wife's caching name is MollyGSP & Me. Molly was a German Shorthaired Pointer, thus the GSP. Some thought it was a typo on GPS.

70b8a116-c30f-4467-857f-56c573c94e0c.jpg

Lovely looking pet.. great photo.. don't think I'd stand there but they

climb a little ( a LOT) better than me.. thanks for the post.

I take my little buddy most of the time. He's pretty good at sniffing out caches and if there are muggles around I can pretend that we're wandering around in circles so he can find the perfect pee spot or that I'm cleaning up one of his art projects.

f6e750f3-bd52-46cd-be98-9ac5f206221e.jpg

Here is Mrs. Ocklawahaboy with our dog Sadie. I had found a black dog cafe (martha's vineyard) trackable so the wife had to put on her black dog shirt and go find a cache at our local dog park. We thought it called for a pic. She caches with me in the woods too: just haven't bothered with any pics yet.

bc979f63-791f-4a3c-8cf6-646298117752.jpg

Edited by ocklawahaboy

Thanks now thats dedicated.. t-shirt, dog park.. excellent. appreciate the post..

Here is Mrs. Ocklawahaboy with our dog Sadie. I had found a black dog cafe (martha's vineyard) trackable so the wife had to put on her black dog shirt and go find a cache at our local dog park. We thought it called for a pic. She caches with me in the woods too: just haven't bothered with any pics yet.

bc979f63-791f-4a3c-8cf6-646298117752.jpg

Wow. That's amazing. Not many geo-dogs do that I expect. Thanks for the post.

I go with my Golden Sadie. She is very good at waiting on the trail as I venture into the bushes. She will lie down and wait for me to return.

dee8f278-7100-48f5-9711-79c740b85d55.jpg

It did not come easy. When I initially adopted her, she would start out on the trail and then gradually follow me off the trail into the bushes and longer grass. This created the big problem of stickers and ticks all over and in her hair. With reassuring words and the ever important me returning to the trail, she began to trust that I would come back. I have been out her view for as long as 20 minutes and the only thing she has done is stand up and look for me from where I have left her.

Yes I understand it would not come easy, even the most basic training

requires a lot of work and patience. Well done, and clever dog.

Wow. That's amazing. Not many geo-dogs do that I expect. Thanks for the post.

I go with my Golden Sadie. She is very good at waiting on the trail as I venture into the bushes. She will lie down and wait for me to return.

dee8f278-7100-48f5-9711-79c740b85d55.jpg

It did not come easy. When I initially adopted her, she would start out on the trail and then gradually follow me off the trail into the bushes and longer grass. This created the big problem of stickers and ticks all over and in her hair. With reassuring words and the ever important me returning to the trail, she began to trust that I would come back. I have been out her view for as long as 20 minutes and the only thing she has done is stand up and look for me from where I have left her.

I cache with my Lab/Pit mix Bailey. She loves the exercise but most importantly she lets me know if we are approaching a bear. I get so tuned into hunting I forget to pay attention to other serious matters. She has bailed me out of a couple of potentially hairy situations. Sorry no pictures, she doesn't stay still long enough.

Hi,

Thanks for the post. The geo-pets issue is going to print and nut I managed to get your photo in.

Appreciate the post.

Cheers

JGC3

I know that this is an older topic but here's my geodog Kaylee. We have 4 dogs that cache with us. I just got a geodog coin that I'm going to activate and take with us to dip into caches when we have a geodog with us! This photo was taken when we found a dog themed cache. :lol:

s6lnhc.jpg

lol. I like that you mention how she doesn't stay still very long. I can't imagine having to worry about bears... we don't have to worry about the koala's often. Ha. Thanks for the post.

I cache with my Lab/Pit mix Bailey. She loves the exercise but most importantly she lets me know if we are approaching a bear. I get so tuned into hunting I forget to pay attention to other serious matters. She has bailed me out of a couple of potentially hairy situations. Sorry no pictures, she doesn't stay still long enough.

Yes caching with humans can be a pain! Keep wagging those tails!

As a K9 cacher myself, I love to cache with my humans. I really good at finding those close to the ground caches, but my favorite are ammo can hides. :D

Wow ferrets... now that would make an interesting story.. is it hard to train them?

We have a cat and 2 ferrets but it's our Dutch Shepherd dog who gets to come on the hunt with us.

j6tyf9.jpg

The ferrets are leash trained, I should bring them along on the next cache hunt and get some silly pictures :P

I can understand his point of view... look like last years fashion perhaps?!?

Sorry, no parrots here.

4a01ef3b-ea18-43c3-926a-f195b0381130.jpg

This is our dog Dude. He loves to go caching with us if it is on a nice open trail, he hates bushwacking. I told him he might like it better if he wore these doggles, he was not amused and sticks to nice open trails.

Thanks to all those that posted. May's magazine is going to have lots of geo-pet photo's. Anyone wishing to still post a photo that's no problem as we will use anything in a later issue.

Regards

James

Edited by jgc3

My Pug, Dharma, likes to go caching. When muggles are present, I look like I am walking my dog while I am looking for the cache. One time I let her think she lead me out of the woods without me getting lost :) Her favorite are the cemeteries - she doesn't like bushwacking, but neither do I if it gets too thick.