Geocaching with Blackberries

Hello anyone,

I am a relatively new cacher and have been using an iPOD touch with the Groundspeak geocaching APP. Since I lost my older Blackberry, my office will replace it with a Blackberry Torch which is a model starting to look more reasonable to use for browsing. My preference is to geocache with only one tool other that the GPS Unit.

My question is: Are there Blackberry APPs that do the same thing? On the website there is somethng called CACHE SENSE. Does it make sense when you are used to the iPOD APP?

Thanks...

Hello anyone,

I am a relatively new cacher and have been using an iPOD touch with the Groundspeak geocaching APP. Since I lost my older Blackberry, my office will replace it with a Blackberry Torch which is a model starting to look more reasonable to use for browsing. My preference is to geocache with only one tool other that the GPS Unit.

My question is: Are there Blackberry APPs that do the same thing? On the website there is somethng called CACHE SENSE. Does it make sense when you are used to the iPOD APP?

Thanks...

The closest thing to the iPod app for Blackberry is the Trimble Geocache Navigator. Some phone company app stores sell this on a subscription basis, you have to pay every month to keep using it. If that's the case with your phone company, buy it from the Blackberry app store. If you get it from them, it's a one-time purchase.

https://appworld.blackberry.com/webstore/content/142

I am getting good info so far. The link to the Trimble Geocaching software contains logs that say that it doesn't work on the Torch. Any other experiences?

Who is your cell provider?

I've never owned a Torch, I had a Curve and it worked fine. But I have heard that Verizon, in particular, tends to somehow lock the GPS on their phones so that only Verizon-provided apps can access it.

I used the Trimble Navigator software on both my Curve and my Tour, both on Sprint. I don't use it much now because I have other tools, but at that time it was an essential part of my caching toolset. The only thing it is missing is the area map view. On the android or iPhone app, there's a map view where you see the map and the 10 or 20 nearest caches. On the Trimble, you can ONLY get to a map view by selecting a cache and that cache will be the only one shown on the map. This is the one, and only reason, why I tend to use my android with the Groundspeak app instead of my BB with the Trimble app. That spatial awareness of where groups of caches are in relation to you, and each other, cannot be underestimated. The other difference is that on a droid or iPhone you can actually enter logs, or enter detailed field notes. On the BB running Trimble, you can't log and you can't enter text to a field note... You simply select found or not found and it saves a field note on GC.com for you, but you can't add your notes to it.

Still, for me it was WELL worth the cost. Real-time access to recent logs and access to aerial images have always been huge benefits to me. When I am in high speed 3G/4G data coverage, I rely heavily on my phone (now 95% android and 5% Blackberry) and when I am out of coverage I rely heavily on my Nuvi that I load full paperless details into from GSAK using the jjreds macro. That combination--offline paperless data PLUS online logs and images has added sooooo much robustness to my cachign life. I can step out of any meeting anywhere, and if I have some time to kill--I can be locked onto a nearby cache in 2-3 minutes and be on the hunt with no preperation. It's tremendous.

BTW, I bought the one-time subscription... when I switched phones from the Curve to the Tour I had a problem moving the app without having to re-pay for it. A quick call to Trimble tech support resolved the issue and the transfer went off without a further hitch. When you fire up the app they actually see your phone number on their end and can see that your device has changed, but that it's still you. I also found the GPS in the blackberries to be accurate enough for most day to day urban caching, and so back then I often broke out my 60csx only for the real tough ones.

OK. I am now convinced that I will stay with my iPOD Touch for now until Blackberry catches up. That should not be too long, now that they are going big into Apps as well. I like the spatial awareness capabilities which is great for my caching habits. Unfortunately until my technology increases I still have to live on WiFi for impromptu and stolen caching moments.

Thank you all.... narwal_tusk

I am getting good info so far. The link to the Trimble Geocaching software contains logs that say that it doesn't work on the Torch. Any other experiences?

Who is your cell provider?

I've never owned a Torch, I had a Curve and it worked fine. But I have heard that Verizon, in particular, tends to somehow lock the GPS on their phones so that only Verizon-provided apps can access it.

That's the way it is on my work BB. We're on Verizon, and the phone is an 8830. No GPS for 3rd party apps.

My main tool is my Garmin, but I have both the Trimble app and CacheSense on my BB Storm.The Trimble allows hot access to GC.com, CacheSense uses Pocket Queries, although rumor has it that the app is soon to add that capability too. Both tie to the GPS and allow cache hunting with reasonable accuracy. Over all I prefer CacheSense. It's ten bucks forever on App World or OTA @ their website.

hairball

I have an old hand-me-down BB, probably a curve. I have TGN (bought from Trimble site) and ATT is my provider. ATT lets me run TGN without any problem. If you're not sure if your phone is compatible, just call the Trimble number. They were a big help to me. I don't use the phone as my main cache finder, but it's great to have to see if there are more caches than I have downloaded in an area, and also great for looking at cache page and logs if I get stuck. I don't use maps at all on the phone, just the pointy thing.

OK. I am now convinced that I will stay with my iPOD Touch for now until Blackberry catches up. That should not be too long, now that they are going big into Apps as well. I like the spatial awareness capabilities which is great for my caching habits. Unfortunately until my technology increases I still have to live on WiFi for impromptu and stolen caching moments.

Thank you all.... narwal_tusk

I have a verizon curve and GPS works like a champ for both CacheSense and a golf rangefinder app. For CacheSense, I had to tell it to use the older API (Use old GPS code option). I also remember having to enable the "GPS Services" in the advanced options for the BB to turn on Location, rather than E911 only.

I have had a couple of occasions where it couldn't seem to get satellites, and I had to do a hardware reset (remove battery) to make it start working again. It is nice to be able to go to the web site, scan for nearby caches independent of previous PQs, and SMS home log entries. I wonder about how the accuracy of the GPS matches up with real GPS devices. Once I get close it tends to run me around in circles.

Edited by JohnPWest

Why is this bumped? I answered a 9800 thread earlier, and I'm the only answerer. If that's even a word. I have a couple of Blackberry's in the house, and I'd love to hear what is the best app, even if it's not, um, Groundspeak authorized. :lol:

So what is it, the apparently unauthorized CacheSense, or Geocache Navigator by Trimble?

P.S. I'm beginning to think almost all Smartphone Geocaching happens on Droids or IPhones.

Edited by Mr.Yuck

I use the Trimble Geocache Navigator for my Storm (for which I have Verizon). For me it works great, I bought it thru the Blackberry App store for a one time price of $9.99 (I think). I agree, it would be nice to have an "area map view" and it seems you could log your finds with notes, but I haven't managed to figure out how to do that. The worse problem right now is my battery life. My phone is already 2 years old so the battery goes pretty fast right now, but I use it mostly for urban caching so I pug it in while I'm driving to the next location. I find it to be quite accurate with the urban caches.

I have (had) a 2.5 year old BB Bold 9000 on ATT. We live on Southern Oregon coast and are frequently off the grid. While we are not as active the past year the 9000 was the primary geo hunter using Cachesense. Side by side with the garmin etrex vista it is always right on and sometimes even closer, even when far away from any cell tower. The October release is great to find nearest caches and download if desired. IMO Cachesense works great as an always available caching tool. A vicinity map would be nice but not essential.

Bold 9000 died - will not charge or turn on so it is time to see if Cachesense works on different phone &/or carrier. A post above indicated the gps works on verizon phones which was the original concern.

Cachesense works great for me on my Blackberry. The best part is that if you find yourself in an area where you haven't run any Pocket Queries, the app will find the nearest caches to your current location. It has a decent mapping feature as well.

My Blackberry Curve is on Nextel's IDEN network which means primitive slow data speeds - like dial up level. Cachesense still works great despite that limitation.

You can get a full featured 30 day trial of Cachesense from the developer's website, and then after 30 days the app will prompt you to enter an activation code which you can buy for ten bucks. It's a lifetime license with all patches and upgrades included. Kinda hard to beat really.

Been using the Cachesense app on my BB Bold 9780 since October, for me it seems more accurate than my gpser and the app has loads of cool features.

Aside from PQ's and logs, I like the ability to use the compass or a radar finder, plus field notes, etc. Now I find myself leaving the GPS at home, but I always have my phone with me, and I have lots of local caches stored in it, plus PQs for upcoming vacations and/or road trips.

My only question now is, for an upcoming trip to the Caribbean, since I'm going to turn my data plan off, does my in-phone GPS still work (satellites, right ?) ??

Lol