First To Find III Geocoin

fox-and-the-hound

My First to Find (ver 1) geocoin was my entry into the world of professionally designing geocoins. The project began about 5 years ago and became a reality about a year later.

My First to Find II geocoin design came about 2 years later and was a breakout point for me in combining my love of graphic print design, animation and geocoins.

FirstFTFs.jpg

When I approached the idea of returning to this project for a third time (once again after 2 years) I felt more than a bit of apprehension. The first coin, much to my delight, was far more successful in it's appeal that I could have imagined and honestly never would have been made at all without the relentless support of those wonderful guys at the Geocoin Store. It was one of my first ever designs and as much as I love it, I look at it now and cringe at what I should have done to make it better. Of course it's easy to armchair quarterback now after a few years of working with coins.

When I returned to the idea for the second time I looked at all the things I did right and wrong the first time around and tried to show what I had learned from my experiences. I still love that coin, but times change, the industry changes and the things we can do have grown so much that now after another two years I decided to try again.

This third time was a far more personal experience for me both in growth as a coin designer and in growth as an artist. As a small child of about 3 I began sitting with my father in the evenings drawing and doodling my moment's whim. My father would spend 95% of his time meanwhile designing blueprints for his latest idea in how to improve the almost perfect design of the Piper Super Cup airplane. Once in while though he would join me in just drawing for the love of it. Those days were magical to me. Here this hard working blue collar man would transform in a matter of minutes into an artist who's talent astounds me even today. He would draw these images of what looked at first glance to be beautiful floral arrangements hanging in air and sporting constricting bands of metal encompassing them. The more I looked, the more I realized they weren't really flowers. To this day I don't really know what they were. I'd like to think they represent the wild impulses of creation that he held deep inside constricted by that band of control and responsibility that life shoves on us.

A very short time ago, my father's lifelong pursuit of improving that airplane to a dramatic turn. He put all those various ideas together and built the plane of his dreams. It superceded all expectations, broke records and went into production almost immediately. I am so proud of him and his new success drifts around constantly in my mind.

FTFIIISilver.jpg

When I decided to design this third First to Find coin I was still thinking about these things. Those fantastical images of florals, twisted metal, bands, colors and more began stewing about with my love of Typography and geocoins. I started to sketch and doodle quickly and then couldn't snap away from it. I wish I had just one of his sketches from my childhood to reference, but alas it's only in my head as he always threw them away. This design might have been better for the reference, but in a way I needed to do this without him, too. I needed to put my own stamp on the world of art he opened for me. I hope this coin does justice to his patience with me and my fascination with all things artistic. I hope you enjoy it the way I enjoyed his work just imagining what all those elements might have meant to him. Each was an extension of him in some small way and every coin I make is an extension of me in some way. I hope you can feel the connection I feel for you, too, through my work. Thank you as always for the amazing support you've shown for me over these years. I couldn't do this without you - Christian

FTFIIIGold.jpg

1.75" x 3.5 mm

Antique Silver or Antique Gold

Translucent Enamels - Both

Glitter Enamel - Silver

Trackable - Yes

Unique Icon - Yes

5 Seperate Levels of Recessed/Raised Metals

Geocoinstore.com (Thank you guys for making this happen!)

edit: spelling :)

Edited by fox-and-the-hound

" My father would spend 95% of his time meanwhile designing blueprints for his latest idea in how to improve the almost perfect design of the Piper Super Cup airplane.

A very short time ago, my father's lifelong pursuit of improving that airplane to a dramatic turn. He put all those various ideas together and built the plane of his dreams. It superceded all expectations, broke records and went into production almost immediately. I am so proud of him and his new success drifts around constantly in my mind."

==========

We love the coin(s) and the inspiration provided by the above.. already ordered...both :) ! Well done!

Having several thousand hours in both the Piper J3 Cubs and Supercubs we would like to know the name of your fathers creation! I think an article ran in the AOPA (aircraft owners and pilot assoc) magazine sometime back and wondering if it's the same one!

JoenSue

PS: Sue was proposed to while flying in a Piper Cub B)

Edited by JoenSue

Thank you everyone for the wonderful comments :) For JoenSue, the design is called the STOLQuest SQ2 (he's currently building an SQ3) and was featured in a number of articles, podcasts, etc. You can see it in action here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2SOAfTWmPk&playnext=1&list=PLFBAB5D5B0727016E before it received the more agressive additions later. Have to love a stall speed under 20mph!!!

edit: Mods, I tried to do a link and the video box popped up. If this is not cool please just knock it down and people can contact me by PM for a link, thanks :)

edit to add: Notice those marks on the top of the wings?? ;)

Edited by fox-and-the-hound

Thank you everyone for the wonderful comments :) For JoenSue, the design is called the STOLQuest SQ2 (he's currently building an SQ3) and was featured in a number of articles, podcasts, etc.

edit to add: Notice those marks on the top of the wings?? ;)

Awesome video and also the other ones on Youtube. Wish I had this cropdusting for some of the strips we flew out of (farmers driveways..:). Nice upper wing paint scheme!

I think one of your coin designs should be on the wheel hubs!!! B)

Joe from JoenSue

Edited by JoenSue

wOOt! Love it! Another incredible piece from ya, Mack!

One slight issue though. :ph34r:

Rumor has it that the guys over at the Geocoin Store are demanding better eye-care benefits because of your incredibly intricate designs! :lol:

Let's just say one of 'em looks a LOT like this guy...

moopeyed.jpg

Where did you get that picture of me? :surprise:

TMA

Beautiful design!

I missed the two earlier versions (2006, 2008) because two years ago not even knew the geocoin existed :ph34r: , but at least I have now these two new versions :D

Now I'll see if anyone has any of the previous FTF for sale or trade :D

Great looking coin! Ordered us an Antique Gold.

I was taking a hiatus on coin buying because we are movin back to Canada and won't have an address for a couple of months...but I just couldn't resist. Great memories Mr. Mackey....so glad to have you back!

Thank you! I haven't really been gone, just very, very busy with starting up my own design company. The upside is geocoin design is part of my regular work load! :D

Sold out?? Really??

Any chance of some more coing out?

Another awesome design.

Andrew,

Those two versions will be back in stock April 22nd. How many do you need? I should have safety stock sitting around for now (5 pcs? of each), just in case.

TMA

Are these back in yet?

Sold out?? Really??

Another awesome design.

Andrew,

Those two versions will be back in stock April 22nd. How many do you need? I should have safety stock sitting around for now (5 pcs? of each), just in case.

TMA

Are these back in yet?

They're back in stock now. I got some earlier this week.

Sold out?? Really??

Another awesome design.

Andrew,

TMA

Are these back in yet?

They're back in stock now. I got some earlier this week.

Whew! Got a couple, thank goodness. I didn't even see this thread until today. I'da hurt myself if I hadn't gotten in on this.

I've not been hanging in these forums enough lately.

Dang that "real life" stuff!

Sold out?? Really??

Another awesome design.

Andrew,

TMA

Thanks for the reminder. Got in there today and picked a few up. Another awesome design for keeping and putting in for FTF prizes.