User name vs Display name?

DeadReckoner

It's never been crystal clear to me the functional difference between "User Name" and "Display Name". When I first signed up, I fiddled around with it, and decided that UserName was what I used to log in, but that DisplayName would mask my UserName in all instances where other people interact with the site.

However, it seems to be rather inconsistent. When I log finds, it shows up as my DisplayName. But when I report hides, it shows up as my UserName. Travel bug logs also show up as my UserName. And if anybody should want to query for caches hidden or found by me, they'll need to know my UserName, because queries by my DisplayName (which is what I'd preferred to be known by) don't work.

So, if I'd prefer to be known consistently by my DisplayName, should I change my UserName to be what is currently my DisplayName? (What, then, is the point of the DisplayName?) And what are the ramifications of changing either one on things already published??

Tom Chatt (DeadReckoner)

No doubt.

We're planning to do away with display names eventually. It causes entirely too much confusion and it is indeed inconsistent (mostly due to older code not supporting it). I would suggest to anyone who wants their login name to be their display name to change it soon.

frog.gif Jeremy Irish

Groundspeak - The Language of Location