downloading cartridges on android "Whereyougo" app

redcanyonkids

On 11/19/2016 at 1:57 AM, paulio10 said:

1. install WhereYouGo app on your android phone

2. go to settings, and enter your account information to the Wherigo web site (login & pw)

3. Install c:geo app on phone

4. Configure it with your geocaching login & pw, make it work, basically

5. in c:geo, click "Search". Enter the GC code of the Wherigo geocache you want to experience.

6. swipe right to get to the description of the Wherigo cache.

7. scroll to the Wherigo cartridge link, and click it.

8. your phone will ask what app you want to send that link to, choose the Wherigo app!

9. Wherigo will now launch, and figure out the long hex code of the cartridge you want to install.

10. let Wherigo install the cartridge.

Has something changed for the worse? Step 2 does not work, I enter the login/password, but there is no confirmation on it to be correct. (It is correct though.) When I get to #10 and try to install, it signals that it is downloading for a while (Connection.... Logging in... downloading...), and then it reports an error ("Downloading: Error") with no further information.

Is this some configuration/compatibility problem of mine or do others have the same problem?

20 hours ago, Ragnemalm said:

Has something changed for the worse? Step 2 does not work, I enter the login/password, but there is no confirmation on it to be correct. (It is correct though.) When I get to #10 and try to install, it signals that it is downloading for a while (Connection.... Logging in... downloading...), and then it reports an error ("Downloading: Error") with no further information.

Is this some configuration/compatibility problem of mine or do others have the same problem?

I have good news! WhereYouGo has been taken over by a brand new team of developers and they released 7 hours ago a test version to their beta-testers. Up to now, feedback is really great. So I'm confident that WhereYouGo's functionalities will be back soon.

• Upvote 1
On 3/6/2020 at 8:53 AM, Tungstène said:

I have good news! WhereYouGo has been taken over by a brand new team of developers and they released 7 hours ago a test version to their beta-testers. Up to now, feedback is really great. So I'm confident that WhereYouGo's functionalities will be back soon.

You are perfectly right! After the latest update, it works again! :)

Edited by Ragnemalm

I have not posted on this thread because WhereYouGo has worked for me for a couple of years.  Prior to that, I had download problems which caused me to  create a set of instruction to store the .gwc from the Wherigo program onto my desktop and then copy the file to the \phone\Android\data\menion.android.whereyougo\files directory .   On April 14th, I upgraded the WhereYouGo with the latest release.  Now, the app doesn't function correctly.  

1)  When clicking on the cache page cartridge link,  I get a Download(size in MB) and the name of the .gwc. at the bottom of the screen.

2)  I click on the DOWNLOAD button and get Download completed (size in Mb) and the name of the .gwc underneath.

3)  When I click on the OPEN button, a screen comes up with the following: 

Import GPX to list

<Create new list>

Stored 0]

The name I assigned when clicking on <Create new list [0]

When clicking on the assigned name or Stored [0] options, I receive 

Import failed, 

Can't read file

Unexpected record signature

0x41430A02

If anyone is following this thread, I'd appreciate your help.  For the time being I will use the work around. 

Edited by frisbee'r
10 hours ago, frisbee&#x27;r said:

When I click on the OPEN button, a screen comes up with the following: 

Import GPX to list

<Create new list>

Stored 0]

The name I assigned when clicking on <Create new list [0]

When clicking on the assigned name or Stored [0] options, I receive 

Import failed, 

Can't read file

Unexpected record signature

0x41430A02

If anyone is following this thread, I'd appreciate your help.  For the time being I will use the work around. 

It sounds like you're trying to open the gwc with c:geo. Try opening the cartridge through the WhereYouGo app instead. 

14 minutes ago, Hügh said:

It sounds like you're trying to open the gwc with c:geo. Try opening the cartridge through the WhereYouGo app instead. 

No, I have not used c:geo in years.  I have always used WhereYouGo.   My recent upgrade on April 14th is causing the problem.  The black screen and messages starting with "Import GPX to list" is new.   I don't understand what GPX has to do with a .gwc file.

I downloaded the WhereYouGo app on my android Galaxy S20 5G, and then proceeded to download a Wherigo cache, started seeing the questions/pictures and then no more pictures into the middle of the puzzle of the questions.  It was on a time limit, so I couldn't finish what I couldn't see.  Is this an app related issue also??

4 hours ago, frisbee'r said:

No, I have not used c:geo in years.  I have always used WhereYouGo.   My recent upgrade on April 14th is causing the problem.  The black screen and messages starting with "Import GPX to list" is new.   I don't understand what GPX has to do with a .gwc file.

Do you have c:geo installed? "Import GPX To List" is a screen that appears when you open a .gpx in c:geo. (.gpx and .gwc are similar enough file formats that c:geo sometimes gets them confused.)

Here's a quick screencast of what I do when I download a Wherigo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQ4FNQjpAXc

(You could alternatively configure your login details in WhereYouGo and let it handle the downloading, but in my experience, it's more finicky.)

Edited by Hügh

Hugh,

Thanks for sending the link.   I have good news but I can't explain it.    I successfully downloaded several Wherigos from the Geocaching App rather than the Cache pages.   When doing it from the cache page, I get the Wherigo cartridge page.  When I download and open using Pocket PC, it gives my the GPX screen without any useful options.  

2 hours ago, frisbee&#x27;r said:

I successfully downloaded several Wherigos from the Geocaching App rather than the Cache pages.   When doing it from the cache page, I get the Wherigo cartridge page.  When I download and open using Pocket PC, it gives my the GPX screen without any useful options.

Sounds like an issue with the default app handlers. In other words, when you visit Wherigo.com, your phone automatically redirects you to the WhereYouGo app and/or c:geo. You probably want to remove these defaults. This might help?

Hugh,

Clear an app's default settings

1. Open your phone's Settings app.
  2. Tap Apps & notifications.
  3. Tap the app that you no longer want to be the default. If you don't see it, first tap See all apps or App info.
  4. Tap Advanced And then Open by default And thenClear defaults. If you don't see "Advanced," tap Open by default And thenClear defaults.

I'm concerned that following the procedure will impact the process of starting a WhereYouGo from the Geocaching App. 

3 hours ago, SpiritGuide said:

It's all much easier using the built-in Wherigo player in Geooh GO.

...which costs some money.

(Regardless of how little it costs, it's still an important detail you've left out. Not all are willing to dish out $5 solely* [in this specific context] to play Wherigos.)

Edited by Hügh
  • Upvote 2
3 hours ago, frisbee'r said:

I'm concerned that following the procedure will impact the process of starting a WhereYouGo from the Geocaching App.

It almost certainly will. I suppose that your only options are to always do it one way or the other. In the meantime, I'll have a chat with the c:geo and WhereYouGo Development Team(s) (technically they're both maintained by the same team) and see if they can do anything about it.

Edited by Hügh
21 hours ago, Hügh said:

...which costs some money.

(Regardless of how little it costs, it's still an important detail you've left out. Not all are willing to dish out $5 solely* [in this specific context] to play Wherigos.)

Seriously? How much do you spend on gas while caching? Food? Can't go far with those expenses on less than $5.

Geooh does more than just play wherigos... Many other features that can eliminate the need to buy multiple other apps.

• Surprised 1
15 minutes ago, SpiritGuide said:

Seriously? How much do you spend on gas while caching? Food? Can't go far with those expenses on less than $5.

Uhm. $0. I don't (legally cannot) drive—I bike. I don't eat much either (my to my parents distress.)

Here, frisbee'r was complaining that the Wherigo's weren't opening in WhereYouGo, and that it was a bit annoying to have to open it manually through the app (or switch to the Official app and download it through there.) Your solution? "Buy an(other) app." Seriously? My point was that Geooh is a very expensive solution to this specific problem. (EDIT:) Sure, it may have "many other features that can eliminate the need to buy multiple other apps" (and don't get me wrong, I do own the app, I agree with this) but if all you want to do is run Wherigos, and all your other Geocaching apps are set up how you like them, why pay for an app?

Edited by Hügh
  • Upvote 2
9 hours ago, Viajero Perdido said:

... to support quality software development. 

Fair enough! That is a great reason to use Geooh. :D Though, for me, the convenience of being able to tap-to-open is not worth $5. The other features are.

Edited by Hügh
  • Love 1