downloading cartridges on android "Whereyougo" app

redcanyonkids

We have wanted to try to do a Wherigo cache for a while now. We purchased the app WhereYouGo on our Android phone but still can't figure out how to download Wherigo cartridges onto the app. If it matters we have a Samsung Mesmerize. If anyone can help us figure out how to do this, it would be greatly appreciated. Thank You

• Funny 1

here is how to do it with a android straight from the internet with out the computer. You need to get 2 apps, (firefox mobile) and (Download all files) both from the market and free.

once you have these on your phone go to firefox go to the Wherigo site and download the cart for Pocket PC. then a option box will pop up choose the program ---download all files. then it will ask where you want to put it select the whereyougo directory (should be all the way at the bottom) and click start download. Thats it. it gets easier after you do a few.

Have Fun!

here is how to do it with a android straight from the internet with out the computer. You need to get 2 apps, (firefox mobile) and (Download all files) both from the market and free.

once you have these on your phone go to firefox go to the Wherigo site and download the cart for Pocket PC. then a option box will pop up choose the program ---download all files. then it will ask where you want to put it select the whereyougo directory (should be all the way at the bottom) and click start download. Thats it. it gets easier after you do a few.

Have Fun!

Thank you so much for the info! I finally got it to work on my phone without having to go through the computer. Just in time too, normally gps (garmin oregon) just got a busted screen yesterday!

I just downloaded this app and put the file in the where you go file on my sd card. When I open the where you go app it still says there is no .gwc file to open. When I go to my directory the file is there. Any suggestions. I have the HTC Eris it was one of the first android phones to come out.

I just downloaded this app and put the file in the where you go file on my sd card. When I open the where you go app it still says there is no .gwc file to open. When I go to my directory the file is there. Any suggestions. I have the HTC Eris it was one of the first android phones to come out.

Which directory are you storing the .gwc file you downloaded into?

Are you downloading the "pocket pc" version using Firefox?

originally it will go to a "downloads" folder, but then you need to move it to your "WhereYouGo" folder. Then when you open the WhereYouGo app, it should show up when you choose play.

I have a Galaxy Nexus which has no sd card, only internal memory. Where should I place the cartridge. I don't see a whereyougo folder.

Isn't there at least a folder called external_sd in which the folder WhereYouGo should go?

I just got WhereYouGo working on my Samsung Galaxy S phone. The cartridges should be placed in /mnt/sdcard/external_sd/WhereYouGo/. If you don't have an external_sd folder, where does WhereYouGo tell you to put the cartridge?

Pierre

Ok so there is a change with download all files? it won't allow you to put the file in the right directory. So I used the app called files selected sd card. selected download, selected the cartridge by holding my finger on it then a list came up I selected move, at the top I selected folder then selected whereyougo and clicked move and it worked try that

I followed A Team Vallejo's instructions for loading straight from the internet to my android incredible 2. it worked great. I had a few operator errors until my wife hit the activate gps and navigate. We had a blast and even met the CO. We completed the WIG cache signed log. My problem is when we try to load a new cartridge the one we completed is the only option after we had already downloaded a new file from Wherigo site. I cant even find where on my android it is saved to. I found the download folder and no WIG caches show there. Any advice is appreciated as the first one was a blast to do.

I open firefox (on my htc incredible 2) and log into the Wherigo website,I choose Wherigoium GC38YKH and choose download pocket pc device download now. I have 4 choices to download too download-music-camera(dcim)-browse I chose browse. I put it in the whereyou go folder and hit select this folder then hit save file (filename wherigoium-2.gwc) hit open file. I get an error the document cannot be opened because it is not a valid pdf document. I opened my whereyougo app choose start and the cartridge is there now! SWEET of I go to get WIG #2.

A huge Thank You to A Team Vallejo I appreciate your speedy reply and help!

I am using a Motorola Atrix2 Phone & attempted to download the whereyougo file using Opera Mini for the browser. Somehow Opera renamed the file as a .zip file instead. We did 4 attempts on this today with the same results. My wife's phone is a IPhone 3 & downloaded the same Wherigo file with no problem. Did the Wherigo on her phone got the unlock code but then the wereIgo site would not accept the code, even though we were able to log it thru the geocaching site itself.

Any ideas for the Motorola Atrix2 phones on how to get the Wherigo to work by chance?

I am using a Motorola Atrix2 Phone & attempted to download the whereyougo file using Opera Mini for the browser. Somehow Opera renamed the file as a .zip file instead. We did 4 attempts on this today with the same results. My wife's phone is a IPhone 3 & downloaded the same Wherigo file with no problem. Did the Wherigo on her phone got the unlock code but then the wereIgo site would not accept the code, even though we were able to log it thru the geocaching site itself.

Any ideas for the Motorola Atrix2 phones on how to get the Wherigo to work by chance?

you need to download the cartridge using FIREFOX on your phone. All other browsers do not download the file in the correct format.

Be sure to download the "pocketPC" version when you download it from the website.

Once downloaded you need to move it from your "downloads" directory on your phone to your "Whereyougo" directory to get it to play properly.

This is clunkier than the iPhone, but it is what it is. The iPhone can download it through the Wherigo app.

Have Fun!

I guess I can add some information that hasn'nt been said here yet:

You can also use google chrome to download the cartridge file. Then you neither need to select "download all files" or anything nor you need to download another app (like this "download all files"-thing).

..and again: move it to the right folder which is used by the whereyougo app.

Have Fun!

Thanks for the valuable tip! We don't have any whereigos around my home but when I travel I love to try them. I've been suffering with needing to get to a pc on the road for two years until a fellow cacher pointed me here and I realized the problem is the phone's browser and I just needed firefox. Most android phones these days come with some kind of file management software to move the .gwc file from dowloads to the whereyougo directory, so the browser is the key.

Have Fun!

I tried doing this, but when I got to the step to download pocket PC the only thing that popped up was an error message saying I don't have an SD card. ...i do. I don't mind transferring them from a computer, just can't get this dang thing to work. Tried dragging the downloaded file from the computer into my Whereyougo folder on my phone. Tried to play and another error message. I want to play! Can anyone help? I feel like I've downloaded 50 things trying to get this to work

Which directory are you storing the .gwc file you downloaded into?

Are you downloading the "pocket pc" version using Firefox?

originally it will go to a "downloads" folder, but then you need to move it to your "WhereYouGo" folder. Then when you open the WhereYouGo app, it should show up when you choose play.

I've had the same problem. I've tried downloading it using my laptop first and moving it to the phone and also directly on my phone using ICS Browser+ and Chrome with Download All Files. Have moved the file from Downloads to storage/sdcard0/whereyougo/directory as instructed. No joy. Also saw a thread suggesting to change the file name (keeping the extension); no joy. Every time I try to open the cartridge in WhereYouGo I get the message advising there is no cartridge and I should download one to storage/sdcard0/whereyougo/directory. AAAGGGHHHH! I'm about ready to give up on the dadgum thing. :(

Bahaha! I didn't actually SAY dadgum, seems a filter is in effect here, but I'm sure you know what I meant :)

Edited by Rincewind3

I have a Galaxy Nexus which has no sd card, only internal memory. Where should I place the cartridge. I don't see a whereyougo folder.

If there's no whereyougo folder to load your cartridges into then simply create one. The whereyougo app will pick up on the new folder automatically.

Hi

Ignore me now... I had troubles finding the 'externa_sd' folder - it wasn't viewable via my PC file browser but I can see it using astro file manager. I moved the catridge via astro and it appears to be visible now in the App

Edited by Mashcast

So I downloaded and installed WhereYouGo v0.9.0 on my LG VS985 4G LTE phone and it doesn't work at all.

If I click the cartridge link in the c-geo app a window pops up and lets me use WhereYouGo to download the cartridge. I select WhereYouGo and a window pops up and says Connecting, then Logging In, then Downloading, then Downloading: Error.

I contacted the cache owner and he said the same procedure works perfectly on his wife's android phone.

I also tried downloading the file on my PC and copying it to my phone. When I open WhereYouGo a small black box opens and says Invalid Cartridge and then the name of the cartridge file I put into the folder on the phone. When I hit the Start icon in WhereYouGo it tells me to put a valid file in the folder and restart WhereYouGo.

Any idea what's wrong? I'm running Android 6.0 version VS98547A

Thanks...

So I downloaded and installed WhereYouGo v0.9.0 on my LG VS985 4G LTE phone and it doesn't work at all.

If I click the cartridge link in the c-geo app a window pops up and lets me use WhereYouGo to download the cartridge. I select WhereYouGo and a window pops up and says Connecting, then Logging In, then Downloading, then Downloading: Error.

I contacted the cache owner and he said the same procedure works perfectly on his wife's android phone.

I also tried downloading the file on my PC and copying it to my phone. When I open WhereYouGo a small black box opens and says Invalid Cartridge and then the name of the cartridge file I put into the folder on the phone. When I hit the Start icon in WhereYouGo it tells me to put a valid file in the folder and restart WhereYouGo.

Thanks...

Could you provide the GC Code of the Wherigo you are trying to download?

I usually download cartridges from Wherigo.com - then I use the File Manager app to move the cartridge to the WhereYouGo folder.

Thanks...

Could you provide the GC Code of the Wherigo you are trying to download?

I usually download cartridges from Wherigo.com - then I use the File Manager app to move the cartridge to the WhereYouGo folder.

I tried that method and it didn't work either. The CGUID is 5dd201d1-ba31-46b8-b5e1-29bed8a4fca7

I also tried the webwigo emulator. It works with Chrome on my PC under Win7, but didn't work in Firefox on the LG phone when using the same cartridge both times.

I tried that method and it didn't work either. The CGUID is 5dd201d1-ba31-46b8-b5e1-29bed8a4fca7

I also tried the webwigo emulator. It works with Chrome on my PC under Win7, but didn't work in Firefox on the LG phone when using the same cartridge both times.

Can you try these steps and see if it works?

1 - Go to this page, on your phone, and download the cartridge for "Pocket PC Device"

2 - Use a File Manager app to move the downloaded GWC file to your phone's WhereYouGo folder

3 - Open the WhereYouGo app and click on Settings -> Global -> Wherigo folder

4 - In the pop-up window, click on "Select..." and browse to the same WhereYouGo folder as in step 2

5 - Click OK at bottom

6 - Go back and back again to get to the WhereYouGo main screen

7 - Click Start and hopefully the cartridge you downloaded shows up as an option

1 - Go to this page, on your phone, and download the cartridge for "Pocket PC Device"

2 - Use a File Manager app to move the downloaded GWC file to your phone's WhereYouGo folder

4 - In the pop-up window, click on "Select..." and browse to the same WhereYouGo folder as in step 2

5 - Click OK at bottom

7 - Click Start and hopefully the cartridge you downloaded shows up as an option

I followed your steps and got the same thing as all the other methods I've tried. When I go to the WhereYouGo main page a small black box pops up for a few seconds that says Invalid cartridge semper_fidelis_mem.gwc

If I hit Start, I get an Information message that says No Wherigo cartridge available. Add cartridge file (*.gwc) into /storage/4CAB-E606/Wherigo/ directory and start WhereYouGo again! and the only option is the Close button.

5 - Click OK at bottom

I followed your steps and got the same thing as all the other methods I've tried. When I go to the WhereYouGo main page a small black box pops up for a few seconds that says Invalid cartridge semper_fidelis_mem.gwc

If I hit Start, I get an Information message that says No Wherigo cartridge available. Add cartridge file (*.gwc) into /storage/4CAB-E606/Wherigo/ directory and start WhereYouGo again! and the only option is the Close button.

Semper_fidelis_mem is a different Wherigo cartridge. Were you playing that cartridge earlier? If you don't need to keep that cartridge right now, then it might help to delete that cartridge's files from your phone.

The 'No Wherigo cartridge available' message sounds like the app is looking in /storage/4CAB-E606/Wherigo/ for cartridges to play. The app should not be looking in that folder, since steps 4-6 in my earlier post directs the app to look in the WhereYouGo folder.

I just downloaded the 'Fishing on the Fly' cartridge to my LG E980 and was able to open it in WhereYouGo. Maybe that Semper Fidelis cartridge is somehow 'confusing' the app? I'd try deleting it completely.

5 - Click OK at bottom

Semper_fidelis_mem is a different Wherigo cartridge. Were you playing that cartridge earlier? If you don't need to keep that cartridge right now, then it might help to delete that cartridge's files from your phone.

The 'No Wherigo cartridge available' message sounds like the app is looking in /storage/4CAB-E606/Wherigo/ for cartridges to play. The app should not be looking in that folder, since steps 4-6 in my earlier post directs the app to look in the WhereYouGo folder.

I just downloaded the 'Fishing on the Fly' cartridge to my LG E980 and was able to open it in WhereYouGo. Maybe that Semper Fidelis cartridge is somehow 'confusing' the app? I'd try deleting it completely.

I had changed the file location for the WhereYouGo app to the Wherigo folder. This was another cartridge that worked perfectly on the emulator on my computer, but didn't work on the app. I'll try uninstalling and reinstalling and using the original folder. That shouldn't make a difference since they allow you to pick a folder in the settings, but.....

5 - Click OK at bottom

I had changed the file location for the WhereYouGo app to the Wherigo folder. This was another cartridge that worked perfectly on the emulator on my computer, but didn't work on the app. I'll try uninstalling and reinstalling and using the original folder. That shouldn't make a difference since they allow you to pick a folder in the settings, but.....

Ahh, okay. I was confused because I thought you had chosen the WhereYouGo folder in both steps 2 and 4. As long as the same folder is being referenced in both steps 2 and 4, then it should work.

I just tested it on my LG Android phone and it worked. I moved the 'Fishing on the Fly' cartridge to a random folder, changed the WhereYouGo app's settings to point to that random folder, and was then able to open the cartridge in WhereYouGo.

Maybe there's something about that "Wherigo" folder that the WhereYouGo app doesn't like. Did you create that folder yourself, or was it created by another app or program?

Ahh, okay. I was confused because I thought you had chosen the WhereYouGo folder in both steps 2 and 4. As long as the same folder is being referenced in both steps 2 and 4, then it should work.

I just tested it on my LG Android phone and it worked. I moved the 'Fishing on the Fly' cartridge to a random folder, changed the WhereYouGo app's settings to point to that random folder, and was then able to open the cartridge in WhereYouGo.

Maybe there's something about that "Wherigo" folder that the WhereYouGo app doesn't like. Did you create that folder yourself, or was it created by another app or program?

I created that folder myself. I think it has something to do with Android 6.0 or the phone. Like I said, I can use an emulator on the PC and it will work fine, but it won't open when I manually download it to the phone and it gives a download error when trying to download from the app. I'll still try a few more things, but....

OK, I reloaded the WhereYouGo app and left the cartridge folder in it's default location on the internal memory instead of the folder I had created on the SD card. Now it works....

I created a new folder in the internal memory that is much easier to get to in file manager and moved the cartridges there and it still works. Guess the app just doesn't like or can't use the SD card.

Thanks for the help.

The only instructions that worked for me with my Nexus 6 (Android), is to let Wherigo install the cartridge for you.

It knows wherever it wants to put it; as far as I can tell, it's the only thing that knows where to put it!

None of the instructional messages in Wherigo are correct for manually downloading cartridges, so don't do that.

1. install WhereYouGo app on your android phone

2. go to settings, and enter your account information to the Wherigo web site (login & pw)

3. Install c:geo app on phone

4. Configure it with your geocaching login & pw, make it work, basically

5. in c:geo, click "Search". Enter the GC code of the Wherigo geocache you want to experience.

6. swipe right to get to the description of the Wherigo cache.

7. scroll to the Wherigo cartridge link, and click it.

8. your phone will ask what app you want to send that link to, choose the Wherigo app!

9. Wherigo will now launch, and figure out the long hex code of the cartridge you want to install.

10. let Wherigo install the cartridge.

You can now run the cartridge and do the Wherigo!

They're an interesting experience.

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1

This is not working for me. Maybe I am misunderstanding something. Once I get to Wherigo.com to download the cartridge my choices are Garmin Colorado, Garmin Oregon, Garmin Nuvi 500 and Pocket PC. I don't see an option to download to the Wherigo app.

We enjoy doing Wherigos and have done about 15, but have always used our Garmin, because I have never been able to figure out how to get them to work on the Droid.

This is not working for me. Maybe I am misunderstanding something. Once I get to Wherigo.com to download the cartridge my choices are Garmin Colorado, Garmin Oregon, Garmin Nuvi 500 and Pocket PC. I don't see an option to download to the Wherigo app.

We enjoy doing Wherigos and have done about 15, but have always used our Garmin, because I have never been able to figure out how to get them to work on the Droid.

Select "Pocket PC" format to download to your Android phone. This will download a .gwc file to your phone. Then follow these steps:

5 - Click OK at bottom

The only instructions that worked for me with my Nexus 6 (Android), is to let Wherigo install the cartridge for you.

It knows wherever it wants to put it; as far as I can tell, it's the only thing that knows where to put it!

None of the instructional messages in Wherigo are correct for manually downloading cartridges, so don't do that.

2. go to settings, and enter your account information to the Wherigo web site (login & pw)

5. in c:geo, click "Search". Enter the GC code of the Wherigo geocache you want to experience.

8. your phone will ask what app you want to send that link to, choose the Wherigo app!

9. Wherigo will now launch, and figure out the long hex code of the cartridge you want to install.

I have been having a nightmare trying to get this to work on my Android phone but this solution works a treat! Thanks very much for your help.

Simon aka Bradfordgull

MANY THANKS PAULIO10

Many thanks for this. I have never been interested in them before but a CM in a target zone is one. Followed your instructions to the letter and it loaded up first time om my Motorola Moto G3.... The file showed and when I touched it I got the message "New Game". Confused at first but finally selected it and up popped the CM and the start page. Off to try it out on Tuesday if weather improves. Again many thanks geralduscambrensis 12/02/2017

I have been having a nightmare trying to get this to work on my Android phone but this solution works a treat! Thanks very much for your help.

Simon aka Bradfordgull

Edited by geralduscambrensis

Hi xr-nut,

If you're credentials to log in to the Wherigo site are correct (step 2), then you're best bet is to open the link from the cache page in your browser.

Download the cartridge and copy it to the WhereYouGo 'files' folder. On my cell, it's in /Android/data/menion.andriod.whereyougo/files. You can check the location in the settings of Whereyougo under 'general'

Restart the app and it should show up in the list of cartridges you can play.

Good luck!

BTW, you can't really check if the credentials are correct. But when the download start, the progress bar shows 'logging in'. If the error follows immediately after that, probably your credentials are not correct.

On 11/19/2016 at 8:57 AM, paulio10 said:

Just one more THANK YOU for the above instructions! I myself have created a few Wherigo cartridges, but that was when I used an iPhone. Now that I have an Android, and must use WhereYouGo, I had a heck of a time trying to download my own cartridges! I'm going to put the above instructions on my Wherigo cache pages.