New Cache Timeframe

Hi, my partner and I have been at this addiction for a week today (and 18 caches to our name already)

We have just placed are first cache, after reading all guidelines.

How long does it usually take for our cache to be accepted?

I'm sorry if this has been asked before, but I've looked about and couldn't seem

To find a conclusive answer

It depends on a number of factors. You have to remember that all of the UK reviewers are volunteers and as such have other commitments such as work and personal life. Then it depends on how many caches are in the queue, and of course if there are any problems with your cache. :)

Our reviewers tend to be on the ball so, assuming that your cache is OK, I would say that under 24 hours is the average... but then that's just an average. :anibad:

Apparently they should be allowed 3 days, 24-48 hours seems common in North wales, occasionally it's within a few hours of submitting. Of course, in north wales we have the distinct advantage of being able to pester our reviewer at regular events ;)

It was a busy weekend with both the geocaching.com website running very slowly and our main mapping resource not being available which meant the 'queues' of caches waiting to be reviewed went up considerably. We should be back on track now though..... says this reviewer who sat in his hotel room in Holland yesterday evening clearing his queue. How --------* is that?

*Insert appropriate word; dedicated, wonderful, keen, dumb, amazing, sad, impressive

Chris

Graculus

Volunteer UK Reviewer for geocaching.com

UK Geocaching Information & Resources website www.follow-the-arrow.co.uk

Geocaching.com Knowledge Books

Are you sure you read all of the guidelines?

"When you go to hide a geocache, think of the reason you are bringing people to that spot. If the only reason is for the geocache, then find a better spot." – briansnat

424532e7-a1c1-4723-a980-5ac36df176f7.jpg

"When you go to hide a geocache, think of the reason you are bringing people to that spot. If the only reason is for the geocache, then find a better spot." – briansnat

When you look on google maps the street looks like it's in a nice enough area. But I have to say that what appears to be the actual location and item you are bringing people to see doesn't appeal to me or what I believe caching should be about. :(

When you look on google maps the street looks like it's in a nice enough area. But I have to say that what appears to be the actual location and item you are bringing people to see doesn't appeal to me or what I believe caching should be about. :(

Oooh - for a terrible moment there I thought it was in Brizzle :rolleyes:;) LOL

And can't help but wonder why you've marked the size as other, when you explain in the text that it's a nano? :unsure:

From the guidlines you read...

6.2. Containers Explained

Sizes

micro: e.g. 35mm film canister or smaller

small: Holds only a small logbook and small items.

regular: e.g. ammo box, shoe box

large: e.g. 5-gallon bucket (about 20 liters)

other: See the cache description.

Edited by keehotee

And can't help but wonder why you've marked the size as other, when you explain in the text that it's a nano? :unsure:

Sizes

Surely reviewers should bounce these back to the owners? :ph34r: Lots of nanos get published as other, including ones that even say nano in the description :blink:

Edited by Gushoneybun

Wow... - what a way to publically roast a new cacher! I would have thought some of the comments here could have been made more diplomatically direct to Peblicus. I sure hope they're thick-skinned..

FWIW, the first nano I hid was described as "other", which is how I had seen the majority of them I'd previously found so described. In many ways, I actually prefer nanos to be described as "other", but that's a whole other discussion..

Wow... - what a way to publically roast a new cacher! I would have thought some of the comments here could have been made more diplomatically direct to Peblicus. I sure hope they're thick-skinned..

That's a fair comment, and perhaps I was rash in posting straight to the forum. The OP's no worse than so many many others; I hope peblicus can take my message in the sense it was intended: not a dig at him/her personally, but rather a plea to think harder about the location of the next hide.

That's a fair comment, and perhaps I was rash in posting straight to the forum. The OP's no worse than so many many others; I hope peblicus can take my message in the sense it was intended: not a dig at him/her personally, but rather a plea to think harder about the location of the next hide.

I have to echo this, my comments were meant as constructive and what my view on what a cache should be.

Far to harsh in my opinion,..

Is it?

If you tell someone about Geocaching the first thing they will do is see where the closest one to their home is. If that has no reason to be there, it's just embarrassing

I posted this on a regional forum so some will have already seen it

I work in Solihull and I had a couple of years or so ago, I had to drop my car off at a garage in Redditch and I got a lift into Solihull with a lad who works in the same building.

While chatting about what I did I the weekend I mentioned Geocaching and the fact that there was one CrossOvernot far from where he lived. He looked into at later and said it sounded really interesting.

If this same situation had arisen now, I wouldn't bother mentioning Geocaching. The cache CrossOver (an ammo box) has long since been archived and the caches nearest to his house are TWO nanos at Tesco (Every little helps...Redditch and Supermarket Dash #2) and nano in a tree The Angry Crustacean

Still sounds like an interesting hobby?

Mark

There are far too many people on here who's first reaction to new cachers is far too confrontational. It's almost as if they are upset that other people have found "their" secret game and they don't like it.

Some of my very first posts were met with responses I found to be unhelpful and almost left me questioning whether I should be caching at all. Thankfully I'm not one to get offended by people on message boards. There is a difference between offering constructive criticism/advice and being just plain rude.

Most people who cache seem to be good people but I don't think the Geocaching community is as cosy as it likes to think it is.

The fact is any newbie has as much right to geocache as someone who has been there since day one and no one should be made to feel bad in a public forum simply for being hasty.

Sizes

because that is what the Guidelines tell him/her

it is far more appropriate than listing it as a micro, and this is common practice in my area

afaic he/she made the listing perfect

There are far too many people on here who's first reaction to new cachers is far too confrontational. It's almost as if they are upset that other people have found "their" secret game and they don't like it.

Some of my very first posts were met with responses I found to be unhelpful and almost left me questioning whether I should be caching at all. Thankfully I'm not one to get offended by people on message boards. There is a difference between offering constructive criticism/advice and being just plain rude.

Most people who cache seem to be good people but I don't think the Geocaching community is as cosy as it likes to think it is.

The fact is any newbie has as much right to geocache as someone who has been there since day one and no one should be made to feel bad in a public forum simply for being hasty.

:omnomnom:

Took the words right out of my mouth!

:drama:

I! Thanks for the informative post,but nice to see people on here are helpful, as well as downright rude. Sorry if I upset YOUR Geocaching site, I assure you it wasn't my intention.

If you look around at other caches in my area, you will see that a lot of them are urban as well.

the actual location and item you are bringing people to see doesn't appeal to me or what I believe caching should be about. :(

Fair enough, but life is far more simple than you might think - you simply don't go finding this type of cache and go find those that fulfil yourdefinition of what caching is all about.

As for the question of why it is placed here, I guess the answer is that a cacher has placed it close to where they live and is enjoying the fact others are finding it - simple.

The beauty of this game is that it caters for everyone and theirdefinitions of caching. Personally I prefer clip top containers out on the moors, but have enjoyed finding some urban ones during my lunch break as well. I often find nano's difficult to locate in urban areas and consequently tell people I don't like them - but that's probably just because I can't find them!

Enjoy your caching

Thanks Mike142sl, that's the kind of support us newbies need. I've been (and am) a member and moderator on several forums, on various interests, so very used to deconstructive comments. However they are generally outweighed by people with a genuine attitude of helpfulness.

I understand that my first cache may not be everyones ideal cache, but it's been found by a fair number of people and the last thing I wanted was to place a cache miles away from my location that was hard to maintain.

I! Thanks for the informative post,but nice to see people on here are helpful, as well as downright rude. Sorry if I upset YOUR Geocaching site, I assure you it wasn't my intention.

If you look around at other caches in my area, you will see that a lot of them are urban as well.

Thanks Mike142sl, that's the kind of support us newbies need. I've been (and am) a member and moderator on several forums, on various interests, so very used to deconstructive comments. However they are generally outweighed by people with a genuine attitude of helpfulness.

I understand that my first cache may not be everyones ideal cache, but it's been found by a fair number of people and the last thing I wanted was to place a cache miles away from my location that was hard to maintain.

But did you take on board the underlying message?

A genuine question I might add.

Sure there are; some of which look worth visiting for more than just the cache:

1bdeb52a-5754-4de8-9c15-0cee95848017.jpg

You'll get over your wounded pride caused by my earlier comment.

I hope you'll also remember the quote I pointed you to and look around you, perhaps guided by Favourites, for inspiration in the next hide.

Peblicus,

I guess the two newbie errors were to state that you had read all the guidelines (as that leaves you wide open to criticism if you'd not met them to the letter) and that you asked the same question in two new threads (whilst I don't know how your forums run, it is frowned upon here).

Having said that, as a newbie how were you supposed to know? (although if you'd asked a question that is in a pinned thread you would have started to touch my buttons :P )

You live and learn, and I'm pleased that you've not been put off posting here.

The majority of my caches are urban because I too wanted to place them close to home so I can see where you're coming from. I've found that my first cache isn't my best, and that it has been a learning curve.

Thanks for the comments guys! I can assure you I'm not put off, in fact the support (and criticism) just inspires us to upscale our efforts to provide a more interesting and enjoyable placement of our next hide.

Again our intention is not to rile anyone on this forum, and yes I fully admit I have and may continue to make newbie errors, but it's a learning curve, which I've already taken much from :)

Thanks for the comments guys! I can assure you I'm not put off, in fact the support (and criticism) just inspires us to upscale our efforts to provide a more interesting and enjoyable placement of our next hide.

Again our intention is not to rile anyone on this forum, and yes I fully admit I have and may continue to make newbie errors, but it's a learning curve, which I've already taken much from :)

Absolutely my point. We are all beginners at one point and you do live and learn.

But it appears to me that some people (a small minority I'd like to add) can't let a newbie have a learning period before trying to show them up.

Please explain how a new person to the game is meant to learn if not by pointing out the error? Are we meant to sit and wait while the person learns all by themselves? Unfortunately not everyone does.

If your first caches are not something you are proud of, don't forget you can archive them and try again or release the space for someone else to be more creative, or not, in.

Please explain how a new person to the game is meant to learn if not by pointing out the error? Are we meant to sit and wait while the person learns all by themselves? Unfortunately not everyone does.

If your first caches are not something you are proud of, don't forget you can archive them and try again or release the space for someone else to be more creative, or not, in.

As i said in an earlier post there is a big difference between constructive criticism and just being rude to people.

I guess we disagree on rudeness then.

All that was done was to highlight the guideline that suggested the cache have a point and from the image it would certainly appear that guideline was skipped!

If the only point to the cache is to be convenient for the owner then maybe that really isn't good enough.

I guess we disagree on rudeness then.

All that was done was to highlight the guideline that suggested the cache have a point and from the image it would certainly appear that guideline was skipped!

If the only point to the cache is to be convenient for the owner then maybe that really isn't good enough.

I wasn't just talking about this thread, I was making a more general point about the way some people deal with new cachers.

However I would agree with your last sentence.

[

I wasn't just talking about this thread, I was making a more general point about the way some people deal with new cachers.

Ooops, Sorry.

No need to apologise! I can understand your point of view regarding this thread.

Personally I think there are more tactful ways of making the point that was made rather than going on Street View and posting a big picture of the cache location and some condescending text.

But that's just my opinion. :)

the actual location and item you are bringing people to see doesn't appeal to me or what I believe caching should be about. :(

Fair enough, but life is far more simple than you might think - you simply don't go finding this type of cache and go find those that fulfil yourdefinition of what caching is all about.

As for the question of why it is placed here, I guess the answer is that a cacher has placed it close to where they live and is enjoying the fact others are finding it - simple.

The beauty of this game is that it caters for everyone and theirdefinitions of caching. Personally I prefer clip top containers out on the moors, but have enjoyed finding some urban ones during my lunch break as well. I often find nano's difficult to locate in urban areas and consequently tell people I don't like them - but that's probably just because I can't find them!

Enjoy your caching

Sometimes it isn't as simple as just not going to find them. Basically unless you sit down and plan an exact route looking in advance at every cache you may visit, you just don't know what may turn up. Which is the whole point of caching, to take you somewhere that you may not have gone to otherwise.

As any Edinburgh cacher will tell you, a large percentage of my caches are urban. This is so that I can keep them relatively close to home and service them easily. Even from my first cache I have gone to detail to make sure that the location or cache is interesting. I have made mistakes, have taken criticism on the chin many times and gone out and sorted the cache or archived it if I have thought the comments were valid.

The bigger problem with caching is that you can't be honest about poor caches. This is because the owners and many others jump down your throat and say that you are downright rude. Well take a step back 'everyone' and read again what has been posted. When you re-read the thread you will see that despite peblicus not being happy about people pointing out that their first cache is poor they have made further posts saying that they have taken the time for their next cache. :)

Let's be honest who here really wants to go to the supermarket car park, park & ride car park, grubby street corners in industrial estates, rubbish dumping grounds, pieces of metal sticking out of the ground with nothing else worthwhile visiting. I know I don't, but I still go and look for them....WHY? Because now and again you actually arrive at one of the above and it actually has a little hidden gem at it, which makes it worthwhile going out of your way for.

I make no apologies for writing what is the truth and what others are afraid to write due to getting harassed for just being honest. Otherwise how are people supposed to learn? We are all quick enough to praise really good caches, why not let the owners of poor ones know what they are doing wrong.

Lastly to peblicus and other newbie cachers, you are all more than welcome to come and join us with this great pastime. If you weren't why would people like myself, Simply Paul and many others (many of which have been around a long time) go out of their way to advertise the pastime for new people to join??

Let's be honest who here really wants to go to the supermarket car park, park & ride car park, grubby street corners in industrial estates, rubbish dumping grounds, pieces of metal sticking out of the ground with nothing else worthwhile visiting. I know I don't, but I still go and look for them....WHY? Because now and again you actually arrive at one of the above and it actually has a little hidden gem at it, which makes it worthwhile going out of your way for.

Mostly agreed - I can't say I much like looking for a film pot amongst a pile of rubbish in a dingy corner of a dingy car park, but...

I make no apologies for writing what is the truth and what others are afraid to write due to getting harassed for just being honest. Otherwise how are people supposed to learn? We are all quick enough to praise really good caches, why not let the owners of poor ones know what they are doing wrong.

As long as everybody accepts that "what they are doing wrong" often means "what they are doing that I personally dislike" it's fine. When people assume that because they don't like film pots in ivy it logically follows that nobody else could possibly like a film pot in ivy that's not so good. Personally I don't care much for film pots in ivy but I understand others have other views and at the end of the day if you don't want to hunt for something don't go and hunt for it.

As long as everybody accepts that "what they are doing wrong" often means "what they are doing that I personally dislike" it's fine. When people assume that because they don't like film pots in ivy it logically follows that nobody else could possibly like a film pot in ivy that's not so good. Personally I don't care much for film pots in ivy but I understand others have other views and at the end of the day if you don't want to hunt for something don't go and hunt for it.

Does that mean that the millions of nasty people in the world who hurt and murder others are correct because they believe that it's correct? I'm just wondering as to me it's the same type of principle........ <_<

For the record I have heard many people saying I don't comment about bad caches because of the hassle it causes. I have also explained why you still go and hunt for it, because you don't know until you arrive.

Does that mean that the millions of nasty people in the world who hurt and murder others are correct because they believe that it's correct? I'm just wondering as to me it's the same type of principle........ <_<

I'm sure you can think of a few differences between someone being raped or murdered, and someone making the free decision to go looking for a film pot only to find they didn't enjoy the experience.

For the record I have heard many people saying I don't comment about bad caches because of the hassle it causes. I have also explained why you still go and hunt for it, because you don't know until you arrive.

So you can either read the text and decide which ones you might like finding, or take your chances. If you take your chances and don't enjoy a cache much, so be it. All I'm saying is "I didn't enjoy this cache" isn't automatically synonymous with "this is a bad cache".

To a lot of people a cache by a busy main road isn't a "good" cache, and a cache on a bridge over a motorway isn't a "good" cache. Personally I enjoy cycling over bridges over motorways(*) so if there's a cache on or near the bridge the chances are I'll enjoy finding it.

(*)I have no idea why, I just do...

Edited by team tisri

You know what I don't think I will bother any more. If a cache location is rubbish I may just start to log them with nothing in the log. If that doesn't send a message then nothing will.

Unfortunately it probably won't send the message you intend.

Just like there are good and poor quality caches, there are good and poor quality logs. "Nothing in the log" is a poor quality log because the meaning is ambiguous. In most cases "nothing in the log" is just laziness. In a few cases it may be partly due to a lack of writing skills, but writing nothing still means a lack of effort - you can tell if someone lacks some skills but is at least trying.

If you start writing nothing just because you don't like the cache, how are we to distinguish that from laziness?

Rgds, Andy

If we come across a cache that we dislike or if we disagree with its placement (walls, life saving devices etc), we never log it as a find (personal choice). In such cases, we post a note on the page or email the owner, whichever is most appropriate. We feel that this is perhaps a more effective a message to the CO than slating the cache on site or a subsequent, 'succinct' found log, neither of which help the CO improve on future hides. For us, average caches receive average feedback but both good and poor caches receive our thoughts and opinions, warts and all. :) Good or bad, they all get a 'Thank you'.

If you start writing nothing just because you don't like the cache, how are we to distinguish that from laziness?

Fine I'll be frowned upon as being lazy. That's better than taking stick for being honest, and believe me you do get stick when you are honest, just look at this thread <_<

:) Good or bad, they all get a 'Thank you'.

A very good point, and perhaps something I shall learn from. :)

Geocache hiders often go through a great deal of effort when placing their caches. As a result, they'd like to hear your feedback on whether you liked or disliked any aspect of the hide, or if you feel that some cache maintenance is required. Single word, acronym, or emoticon logs may be easier when you have a lot of caches to log or are logging from a mobile device but it doesn't tell the hider or other finders anything about your adventure (or lack thereof) in finding the cache.