Street furniture

Oofy

Had to relocate a cache (yes, THAT one) today as it had gone missing. As a busy urban area, thought had better step down from a 35mm canister to a nano. It was Sunday and few people were about so it wasn't too difficult to wander round and try out various spots.

There was plenty of "street furniture", parking signs and the like. Yet the nano was hardly attracted to anything. I'm pretty sure the magnet was okay but I was surprised at how little it could be attached to. I'm still relatively new to the hiding side of caching. Is this a new trend, or have things been increasingly plasticised for some time now. I know a friend recently was surprised that a speed limit sign wouldn't attract a magnet.

Just curious. Makes me like the country even more.

Not sure why you had to wonder around; surely you had already agreed with the landowner where the cache would be placed (Most probably the Local or District Council for the area).

I should remind fellow Cachers that leaving a cache anywhere without the permission of the landowner is an offence of “Leaving Litter” under The Environmental Protection Act 1990 and the Clean Neighbourhoods and Enviroment Act 2005; this can land you in court and has a maximum fine of £2500.

If you are reading the above, and you find any part of the posting offensive, it is probably your mind which is working overtime.

an offence of "Leaving Litter" under The Environmental Protection Act 1990 and the Clean Neighbourhoods and Enviroment Act 2005; this can land you in court and has a maximum fine of £2500.

Best not put your name in the cache then ;)

For sometime I have not logged a cache or even signed a log book, although I have now visited several thousands of them since 2006. I play it my way these days, as I do not want one person in particular to know where I have been, or anything which is ratty like!

Warning: If you read this post and believe it is affecting you; maybe you have an over fertile imagination.

an offence of "Leaving Litter" under The Environmental Protection Act 1990 and the Clean Neighbourhoods and Enviroment Act 2005; this can land you in court and has a maximum fine of £2500.

Best not put your name in the cache then ;)

For sometime I have not logged a cache or even signed a log book, although I have now visited several thousands of them since 2006. I play it my way these days, as I do not want one person in particular to know where I have been, or anything which is ratty like!

Warning: If you read this post and believe it is affecting you; maybe you have an over fertile imagination.

?

I meant the owner and it was meant to be tongue in cheek. :)

If you fancy risking getting prosecuted you could always do this.

Yes, they are coords for a published multicache on this site!

screwed.JPG

Which goes against the guidelines of 'defacing' something. However, if when it was listed for publication the owner had said, "I screwed this to a post" then it wouldn't have been published. If they said nothing other than listing a 'physical' stage at the the location it would have been published. If we are not given details we don't go back to the owner and give them the 3rd degree over how their cache has been placed. They have of course read the guidelines (you cannot submit a cache for review without ticking a box saying you have) so we must believe them, mustn't we :blink:

Of course they could have got permission to put the tag there, couldn't they?

Chris

Graculus

Volunteer UK Reviewer for geocaching.com

UK Geocaching Information & Resources website www.follow-the-arrow.co.uk

Geocaching.com Knowledge Books

Edited by Graculus

If you fancy risking getting prosecuted you could always do this.

Yes, they are coords for a published multicache on this site!

screwed.JPG

Which goes against the guidelines of 'defacing' something. However, if when it was listed for publication the owner had said, "I screwed this to a post" then it wouldn't have been published. If they said nothing other than listing a 'physical' stage at the the location it would have been published. If we are not given details we don't go back to the owner and give them the 3rd degree over how their cache has been placed. They have of course read the guidelines (you cannot submit a cache for review without ticking a box saying you have) so we must believe them, mustn't we :blink:

Of course they could have got permission to put the tag there, couldn't they?

Chris

Graculus

Volunteer UK Reviewer for geocaching.com

UK Geocaching Information & Resources website www.follow-the-arrow.co.uk

Geocaching.com Knowledge Books

I will reply via email to save embarrassment (not mine).

Edited by SidAndBob

all signage is being made out of a plasticy like substance to stop the tea leaves going round and pinching them and melting them down to sell off at a scrap metal dealer. There was a big thing on our local news a few years ago about the problem and how much it was costing the local council everytime they had to replace a sign before it went missing again.