Seeking Secrets

ff171

Being relatively new to geocaching, I've found that finding a geocache isn't as easy as it sounds. It would be a lot simpler if there were large flourescent arrows pointing to the caches but then where would be the fun in that? Most difficult are the caches that don't have a description of what to look for other than the size. What does small mean for instance? Something that will fit into a nostral?

I guess what I really want to know from more experienced cachers, how do you find the more difficult and no description caches. Any hints, secrets, methods?

Being relatively new to geocaching, I've found that finding a geocache isn't as easy as it sounds. It would be a lot simpler if there were large flourescent arrows pointing to the caches but then where would be the fun in that? Most difficult are the caches that don't have a description of what to look for other than the size. What does small mean for instance? Something that will fit into a nostral?

I guess what I really want to know from more experienced cachers, how do you find the more difficult and no description caches. Any hints, secrets, methods?

Large is a 5 Gallon bucket ar larger.

Regular is around lunchbox sized and 30 and 50 cal ammoboxes

Small is around the size of a largeish sandwich size container, decon container

Micro is about a 35mm filmcan AND smaller - includes so called nano (slightly bigger than pencil eraser sized)

Here are some general hints:

Look for caches with a difficulty of 2 or less for your fist few caches. Stick with regular sized caches for your first few. Micros can be quite hard to find sometimes. Stick to areas you are familiar with. Look for anything out of place or unusual. Look for unusual piles of sticks, grass, leaves, rocks, sand, etc. Feel where you cannot look. Think vertical, not all caches are on the ground. Look up or at eye level. Look for traces of previous searches to zero in on the spot. Think like the hider - where would you put a container in this location? Look for things too new, too old, too perfect, not like the others, too many, too few. Change your perspective - a shift in lighting can sometimes reveal a cache. Keep in mind that many micros are magnetic or attached to something (via string, wire etc). Slowly expand your search area to about 40 feet from where your GPS says ground zero is. Bring garden gloves and a flashlight - they help! Be prepared to not find the cache more often then you think.

Most of all - have fun!!

We see you've already gotten some very useful information, above! You've already found just over 60 caches, but my guess is after the first 100 or so finds you will find your experience will make the search a lot easier and more fun, and less frustrating when you do encounter the more difficult caches!

There is no substitute for going out and caching, since each time you see a new container or a new method of hiding you'll know to consider that technique when you look for the next cache. If you live in an area with a geocaching club, do consider attending an event. Talking with other cachers is a great way to gain more knowledge, and going caching with other cachers will also help you gain confidence.

Good luck, and enjoy the hunt!

Edited by The VanDucks

In the woods, keep an eye out for a non-natural pile of sticks or bark. Hollow logs are a favorite. Most everywhere, caches are at places that will not be disturbed by muggles and around, on or in something of permanence such as a tree, fence, pole etc. It's the 10% that do not fall within these guidelines that will give you challenge. Have fun!

I think some experienced cachers share their phone numbers with eachother and then when one of them finds the hard cache they hit up their friends and give them hints or just plain instructions on how to find the cache. Then the info spreads like wildfire. If you're not in the know (purposely or otherwise), you'll probably spend a lot more time looking for a cache that a lot of other people seem to have found rather easily. They don't have advanced geocaching finding ability or anything like that unless you consider listening over the phone to be advanced geocaching finding ability. Now, if you're puristy like me and you don't do the whole PAF thing then you naturally have to develop secret methods and tips and such. What are my secrets, you ask. No way I'm telling, I put in a lot of time developing these skillz. :ninja:

I think some experienced cachers share their phone numbers with eachother and then when one of them finds the hard cache they hit up their friends and give them hints or just plain instructions on how to find the cache. Then the info spreads like wildfire. If you're not in the know (purposely or otherwise), you'll probably spend a lot more time looking for a cache that a lot of other people seem to have found rather easily. They don't have advanced geocaching finding ability or anything like that unless you consider listening over the phone to be advanced geocaching finding ability. Now, if you're puristy like me and you don't do the whole PAF thing then you naturally have to develop secret methods and tips and such. What are my secrets, you ask. No way I'm telling, I put in a lot of time developing these skillz. :ninja:

I saw you lifting a square base on a lamp post the other day. what were you doing? :anitongue:

Don't count on your GPS to put you exactly at Ground Zero when you are searching. Let it get you close, but be observant for things out of place or unnatural once you get within 50' of the coords.

One of the best pieces of advice. Novices tend to rely too much on their GPS. If you are at ground zero and don't see any good hiding places, but notice some potential good hiding places 60 feet away, do not hesitate to check them out.

Think "line of sight": standing at the precise coordinates, what is out of your line of sight? For example, consider the underside or the backside of the stuff you can see. If you can read a sign, what's on its back or bottom? The advice above to change your perspective is good.

- Will

I saw you lifting a square base on a lamp post the other day. what were you doing? :anitongue:

I may or may not have been practicing my technique. :ninja:

As for what to look for, there are some obvious...

An unusual pile of rocks or sticks, that wasn't placed by mother nature, or clustered by flood.

A extra bolt where something is attached, or connected. (or, for that matter, a nut & bolt on one side, but no bolt head.)

An extra electrical box with no other connection to it. (Saw this at a parking lot.. Nice concrete base, with the conduit into it, but only about 1/2 and inch thick.)

A pinecone in a evergreen tree, that doesn't normally have pinecones.

Something that looks like a moth or butterfly cocoon, but hanging out in the middle of nowhere.

Why is that Lamp Post Skirt slightly raised on one side? (for that matter, Any Lamp post skirt. If It's loose.)

Why is a white rock siting in the middle of mostly dark or brown rocks?

Sometimes, it's really that easy. Sometimes, It takes hands-on.. Grab it, does it move?

Hints are nice, but putting youself into "Search" mode makes you aware of what's different about a cache site. And usually, there's the cache right there.

Look for things that look slightly "newer" as well. (Example, giant pile of rotting wood...one piece looks much cleaner than it should be.)

Or mismatched (Green leaves among fall, or fall colors in spring.)

Some were meant to be hidden and found during certain times. I mean this in a seasonal and literal sense. Some things might glow, or specifically reflect. Others may be more obvious in natural light than a flashlight (such as color differences to tell if something looks moved recently or appears to be newer than things around it)

In the seasonal sense...well, like somebdoy mentioned, pinecones. Or even any kind of nut. Nuts get collected by animals and people quickly, especially in parks. It's suspicious if one is still around, even if it's in the tree.

Or static things that should move. Like a fake bird or animal that turns out to be a lawn ornament.

Looking up hide-a-keys or geocaching containers on ebay and other websites can help you as well. Honestly, it does take a lot of fun and challenge out of it though.

All very good and helpful advise. Don't rely on GPSr accuracy so much as intuition and observation. Now if I can only stop feeling so guilty lurking about bushes and public areas.

Don't act like you're trying to be sneaky. Do what looks like it's natural in that environment and situation. For example, if there's a park bench there, sit down, pull out your phone, and look like you're on the phone. Then use that time to scan the area.