New Coin -- The Oceanside Kitties Geocoin

AtlantaGal

The Oceanside Kitties Geocoin Project

Background Info: In my housing community there are numerous feral and stray cats. Last summer a litter of four kittens was born under a home five doors away from my house. These kittens began frequenting my yard in the afternoons to watch the birds at my feeders.

Once they got bigger, they began killing birds. I was cleaning up dead bird guts from my yard every other day. It was disgusting and also saddening. So push came to shove and I began feeding the kittens. I figured if they were not starved, they would leave the birds alone. For the most part, that has proven to be true.

Over the course of the last six months, the kittens have somewhat tamed down and now allow me to pet them and pick sand burrs from their fur. They are a constant source of joy and I am really attached to them.

Because we have a large amount of feral cats here in my community already, we don't want anymore. Once there are too many, people complain and the HOA sends animal control in to round up all the cats. The cats are euthanized almost immediately because they are not tame or adoptable.

I want to have these four kittens spayed/neutered, vaccinated and chipped with their medical history. This way they will be healthy and most importantly, won't reproduce! It's also my hope that if they are caught by animal control later on, they will at least have a chance at survival when it's seen that the cats were/are cared for.

It's going to cost me approximately $100 per cat and I simply do not have the money. I need to sell a minimum of 75 coin sets to earn enough to fund this venture. Any additional monies made from either coin set sales or AE eBay auctions will be donated directly to Coastal Animal Rescue and also Ferals in Need***.

oskitty.jpg

Size: 2" wide, 3.5mm thick

Metals: Gold & Nickel Set (75 min); Black Nickel AE (20 max)

Particulars:

- Soft enamel inking with flat epoxy

- Trackable on geocaching.com

- Custom icon

Cost: $22 plus shipping/handling per set

kittypix.jpg

If you're connected to me on Facebook, you can view my Oceanside Kitties photo album. You can also read two photo essays I posted here when they were kittens and more recently here as sort of an update to the first posting.

***Coastal Animal Rescue is the only cage-free, no-kill, 100% volunteer cat and dog sanctuary in South Carolina. They have a vet clinic that opened last year which offers low-cost care to help control the animal population. The goal is to break the cycle of having so many unwanted and abandoned animals in the community. Read more here: Coastal Animal Rescue website.

Ferals in Need is a bare-bones operation run by a woman out of Pauley's Island. She feeds the various feral cat colonies in The Grand Strand area (from Little River to Georgetown). She operates solely through donations. She also traps the feral cats and has them spayed/neutered and vaccinated. She then re-releases each cat back into its colony.

Thanks for your support!

Please post your interest below and how many coin sets you would commit to purchase.

Ki has often rescued wild cats when she worked at a shop not far from town. She claimed that several were dropped off as they were just kittens, I quess they thought that the farmers barns would house them.

Sure I'll take 1 set and will keep an eye out for the AE's.

dran speling :huh:

Edited by kini_ont

As a devotee to these furry delights, I want a set too. I do feral rescue as well, and have currently 9 babies that were not placeable elsewhere.

Have you contacted the Ally Cat allies is your area? They often sponser a TNR on colonies free, complete with ear tipping.

PaisleyCat

ie Ruth Molenaar

Have you contacted the Ally Cat allies is your area? They often sponser a TNR on colonies free, complete with ear tipping.

Have not heard of them. Don't know what TNR is, but no one here in this area offers any free services. The quote I got is the cheapest around and the rabies vaccination is 3-yr not 1-yr.

A TNR is Trap, Neuter and Return. Ally Cat Allies is a non-profit organization that helps feral and the people who help feral cats.

this is thier contact info:

http://www.alleycat.org/NetCommunity/Page.aspx?pid=452

and here is an email inquiry form to see if they have affilliates in your area to help;

http://www.alleycat.org/NetCommunity/Page.aspx?pid=444

I think is an awesome thing you are doing here--any help for these guys is a blessing.

Ruth

PaisleyCat

A TNR is Trap, Neuter and Return. Ally Cat Allies is a non-profit organization that helps feral and the people who help feral cats.

this is thier contact info:

http://www.alleycat.org/NetCommunity/Page.aspx?pid=452

and here is an email inquiry form to see if they have affilliates in your area to help;

http://www.alleycat.org/NetCommunity/Page.aspx?pid=444

I think is an awesome thing you are doing here--any help for these guys is a blessing.

Ruth

PaisleyCat

Thanks for the info.

I filled out the form. One of the two affiliates in my area is Coastal who I am planning to use and they're not free. The other listed is low-cost and farther away. So still not free. I've been researching this for several months. I really think I found the lowest cost option for all the services. I think all the shots are important if they live outdoors and the chipping lets a captor know the cats have been cared for and may save them from being put to sleep. Hopefully the trapping info I requested will be helpful. China will be difficult to catch. The other three I can pick up.

I'll be happy to take two sets. Although we don't have any because of allergies, I love kitties and grew up with them.

I can't even try to house train them because I'm allergic. Not deathly, but enough that after a few months of living with one I am very ill (I've tried to own a cat before). 'Sides, I don't think any of them except maybe Tux would like living indoors.

Oh, and if anyone would rather not post their interest in purchasing here in the forums, you can always email me through my profile to be included in the total. A few folks have done this already.

Edited by AtlantaGal

Thanks everyone. Need to get about 20-25 more sets spoken for before I'd decide to put this into production. I'll give it till the end of the week.

So point your cat-loving cacher friends to this thread and re-post my wall link on facebook.

Edited by AtlantaGal

So far 43 sets have been reserved. Got a revised quote for 60 sets and 15 AEs (135 total coins). The number is good and I also received two generous donations for AEs already.

I plan to put the order into the factory by the weekend. It will be a 2-3 week turnaround. So I will be requesting payment no later than April 5th. In the meantime I'll be contacting everyone for their paypal & shipping information. So check your spam folders if your GC email tends to go there. If you want to save me some time, you can email me the following at mrevie AT yahoo dot com:

Caching Name

Real Name

Shipping Address

PayPal Email

# of Sets

Please put Kitties Coin in the subject line.

Thanks everyone!

17 Sets are still available.

Edited by AtlantaGal

I'll take a set AG.

My geonick is named after my cat, Shilo. I had to put her down due to health issues 3 years ago. My other cat(that is still with me) was a stray my ex talked me into keeping. <_<

To bad you wouldn't have these by the weekend I'll be your way. Oh well :) At least I will be able to see them all(your cats!!)

I'll take a set AG.

My geonick is named after my cat, Shilo. I had to put her down due to health issues 3 years ago. My other cat(that is still with me) was a stray my ex talked me into keeping. <_<

To bad you wouldn't have these by the weekend I'll be your way. Oh well :) At least I will be able to see them all(your cats!!)

thanks!

If you'll be here by Saturday, come to the event I'm hosting for Chickhominy's 1K.

Two sets for me, plus a black nickel if there are any left thanks! :)

I have been following your gorgeous ferals, and would love to help them (and you) out. This is a marvellous thing you are doing!!!!

Thanks Liz. I've awarded two of the AEs for generous donations and one will be for an icon design contest coming soon. I'll email you with the specifics about that and also to get your shipping info. Most of the AEs will go up on eBay as fundraisers as planned, but will make exceptions for straight donations.

14 Sets Remaining!

Hey AG you told me to put my request here ... Put me in for 2 sets please.

Annie

So you're jumping up one more set? Thanks!!

I actually told you to email me some info (see the GGA thread), but you can post here too ;)

Edit added: 8 Sets Left!

Edited by AtlantaGal