New to Geocaching - Help with my Etrex Legend H

Remember Two Things

Hello,

Well I'm brand new to geocaching and have a few questions.

I have a Garmin Etrex Legend H and have loaded a pocket query. The name of the caches didn't appear but just the GC code. I used Easy GPS to download and I am wondering where I went wrong? If I have to do re-load, how to do I remove the existing caches that were loaded, or is just a display setting withing the device?

Secondly, the map that came installed has only basic information (i.e. highways and bodies of water), but not any streets or other details. What would you recommend for a map that I could use that would be more helpful?

Thanks,

Jason

Hello,

I have a Garmin Etrex Legend H and have loaded a pocket query. The name of the caches didn't appear but just the GC code. I used Easy GPS to download and I am wondering where I went wrong? If I have to do re-load, how to do I remove the existing caches that were loaded, or is just a display setting withing the device?

Secondly, the map that came installed has only basic information (i.e. highways and bodies of water), but not any streets or other details. What would you recommend for a map that I could use that would be more helpful?

Thanks,

Jason

In EasyGPS go to the drop down menus at the top and click edit, then preferences, if your GPS is not showing in the window plug the GPS into your PC and click add GPS. Once it is showing highlight it and click the geocaching button. The next screen will let you set things up.

Hello,

Thanks,

Jason

In EasyGPS go to the drop down menus at the top and click edit, then preferences, if your GPS is not showing in the window plug the GPS into your PC and click add GPS. Once it is showing highlight it and click the geocaching button. The next screen will let you set things up.

Don, thanks for the tip. I did try that, but my device still doesn't display the cache name on the main screen. If I actually choose a specific cache, the details are on the following screen (at least the name, not hints or other details). I guess it's a limitation of the Legend, but I'm sure it will still work just fine. If I can't find any caches though, I'll be sure to blame the device, lol.

Hello,

Thanks,

Jason

Don, thanks for the tip. I did try that, but my device still doesn't display the cache name on the main screen. If I actually choose a specific cache, the details are on the following screen (at least the name, not hints or other details). I guess it's a limitation of the Legend, but I'm sure it will still work just fine. If I can't find any caches though, I'll be sure to blame the device, lol.

No - it isn't a limitation of the device - you just need to set EasyGPS up to transfer the 'friendly' name into the unit instead of the GC code - all under the name setting.

I downloaded a map from Open Street Maps for my Etrex Legend HCX. They have one for the entire U.S. that takes a couple of hours to download. For a publicly created map, it has most of the streets in my neighborhood and it seems to work as a road GPS too.

Hello,

Thanks,

Jason

I went through the same thing with my Legend H.

This model is not compatible with Pocket queries. All you will get in the 'notes' column is the first 20 or so characters of the cache title.

Also, besides the other website mentioned, if you go to google and enter 'free topo maps for garmin' you should find a source that will let you download as few or as many maps as you want. Now I have roads, cities, etc. Don't add too many though as it will eat up a lot of memory. Save all the maps to computer, then swap them out as you broaden your travels. Mine holds about a third of the state of Oregon before slowing down appreciably.

I got lost coming back from the 'original stash cache' and was able to widen the maps to find where the friggin' highway was.

Edited by Rckhnd