An Open Letter to Groundspeak

The following letter was presented to Jeremy Irish of Groundspeak at a Reviewers' event in Oxford in September last year by members of the Geolympix Team. It outlined the Geolympix event concept and pitched it as an annual, roving event with its own icon which would travel the planet to reflect the global nature of Geocaching. Met with initial enthusiasm, Groundspeak have been quiet on the proposal of late and this thread it intended to bring it back to their attention, gather national and international comment on the idea and hopefully discover if there is an equivalent event planned elsewhere in the world (US?) for 2011.

It has also been suggested that the Geolympix (or equivalent event) follows the Olympics to the host country every fourth year, but this is in no way set in stone at the moment.

Please note, other members have since joined the Geolympix team.

GEOLYMPIX

A Proposal by the UK 2012 'Geolympix' Mega Event Team

-

Dr Alan Solomon, Europe's leading geocache finder (16k+)

James Gray, inspirational force & international Mega bagger

Paul Smith; the UK's leading cache event organiser (32, with several more planned)

Wendy Morrell, Olympic torch bearer & Inclusive/HandiCaching champion

-

Dear Jeremy and the Groundspeak team,

As Geocaching has developed, the expectations of the game's players have developed. From humble beginnings it is now a truly international pastime with a global appeal. We feel it is time to recognise this scale, and Geocaching's ability to bring people together, to launch a new sort of event. One that reflects the ambition of the game. One that represents all that's great about Geocaching.

We're calling the idea Geolympix, but Groundspeak may have a better name for the concept:

A roving annual 'Mega Mega', to be held in a new country each year, decided upon by Groundspeak in response to national 'pitches' - much like the Olympics are - with the winning pitch announced at the end of the previous year's event to give organisers and promoters a full year to gather international interest in their country's pre-planned Geolympix meet.

While still in the development stage, and with 22 months to go, the UK 2012 'Geolympix' Mega plans are already impressing people with their scope and aspiration; aiming to create a week of Geocaching challenges and events with a truly international appeal, on a non-profit basis. A permanent 26 mile 385 yard Marathon circuit of caches, an '11 icons in 11 hours' event, CITO meet and cultural and sporting 'disciplines' to compliment the London 2012 Olympics, which will start the weekend after the Geolympix programme ends with a spectacular closing ceremony. There will be fireworks! We are anticipating 2500+ visitors, from all around the world (the last Mega event in the UK drew 1300+ people from 47 different countries - we aim to beat the number of countries too) in a venue designed to handle that number of people and more. Naturally, future Geolympix events would reflect their own country's times, with programmes of events in keeping with their cultural diversity, from hog roasts to caching-themed quizzes or 'geocaching songs' karaoke nights. Each one an example of the creativity and enthusiasm of that nation's cachers. They say caching takes you places you'd never otherwise see - we think that should include countries you might otherwise never have a reason to visit.

We hope that the above piques your interest and you'd like to know more about the idea. Members of the (still growing) UK 2012 Geolympix team would be happy to meet you to discuss the concept and our existing plans while you're still in the UK.

Regards,

The UK 2012 'Geolympix' Mega Event Team

I think this topic may gather more posted opinions if it was put into the "Geocaching Topics" forum: Many cachers from other countries/states don't venture into other regional forum sections but many read the Geocaching Topics.

As your letter has already been received by Jeremy and the Lackeys I guess you need to contact them directly by email for any further official response.

In the meantime it might be worth posting your idea in the Feedback Forum with a link to this topic for the full details.

MrsB

We have dropped Jeremy a couple of messages about it, but it seems his profile-linked inbox gets pretty busy. The only email addresses I have for Groundspeak as a whole are black-holes. If anyone has any extra ideas how to get some renewed focus on the proposal, we're all for them. Thank you MrsB, for example. I know cross-linking it frowned upon- is there another way to put this idea out to a wider, international readership. As the first (TBC) Geolympix will be in the UK, it seemed the UK forum was the right place to refloat the 'bigger' concept, but we certainly want to put it out to as wide an audience as possible.

Isn't it a bit premature to expect anything other than "jolly good, carry on chaps" from GS at this stage?

You say:

While still in the development stage, and with 22 months to go, the UK 2012 'Geolympix' Mega plans are already impressing people with their scope and aspiration;
... but ... what plans and who are these impressed people?

Oh, hang on, you mean these plans? -

a week of Geocaching challenges and events with a truly international appeal, on a non-profit basis. A permanent 26 mile 385 yard Marathon circuit of caches, an '11 icons in 11 hours' event, CITO meet and cultural and sporting 'disciplines' to compliment the London 2012 Olympics, which will start the weekend after the Geolympix programme ends with a spectacular closing ceremony. There will be fireworks!
- 'cos that's all I could find after a few minutes searching.

If I were Jeremy (which thankfully is impossible) then I'd do nothing before I'd seen the detail. Maybe I'd do nothing until I'd seen the event itself, choosing afterwards whether or not to reward it with a new event-type icon.

Isn't it a bit premature to expect anything other than "jolly good, carry on chaps" from GS at this stage?
Not when the pitch was made in Spetember 2010 for a recognised new event type for a specific sort of roving, annual 'Mega Mega' event expecting to draw 2000+ cachers, no.
You say:
While still in the development stage, and with 22 months to go, the UK 2012 'Geolympix' Mega plans are already impressing people with their scope and aspiration;
... but ... what plans and who are these impressed people?!
See below and hopefully you'll join the impressed people :)
Oh, hang on, you mean these plans? -
a week of Geocaching challenges and events with a truly international appeal, on a non-profit basis. A permanent 26 mile 385 yard Marathon circuit of caches, an '11 icons in 11 hours' event, CITO meet and cultural and sporting 'disciplines' to compliment the London 2012 Olympics, which will start the weekend after the Geolympix programme ends with a spectacular closing ceremony. There will be fireworks!
- 'cos that's all I could find after a few minutes searching.
You may have been searching in/have access to the wrong places. The below has been online since January, I think.
If I were Jeremy (which thankfully is impossible) then I'd do nothing before I'd seen the detail. Maybe I'd do nothing until I'd seen the event itself, choosing afterwards whether or not to reward it with a new event-type icon.
That's not how past Megas have worked (although that remains our Plan B ) and we're aiming for the setting-up of the cache type in 2011 really as it already 'feels like the right time' for a 'special' mega event, in the same way megas became 'special' events some years ago...

"...We've also pushed forward with general plans without the need to commit to a location until shortly before the 2011 Mega in Wales, again, partly to protect that event from 'fundraising creep' and other forms of limelight stealing. As such, a great deal of work has already been done (web site obtained, limited company paperwork being prepared, etc) without certain elements (specifically, location! A biggy, we know) being made concrete. There's no point in us giving Oxford City Council a deposit for Oxford Town Hall if expected numbers leap and we have to switch to a more flexible festival model (we've several sites for one of these under consideration, as well as an outline of our needs to be sent to a selection of SE and midland marquee hire firms).

With all that said, we're happy to put the following into the public sphere, for discussion and consideration by the UK Mega Account Stakeholder Committee.

Venue: Plans and any confirmed bookings for such.No confirmed bookings, but a flexible, scalable, plan in place. It hinges in part on the success of our pitch, made to Jeremy in person by two of the team in September. If it's successful, we project well over 2000, and perhaps as many as 3000 visitors, making an indoor venue extremely hard to find and budget for. A cut-off date of May the 1st has been made; if there's no conformation from Groundspeak on a special status for a yearly, globetrotting event for 2012 by then we'll assume the Geolympix will be a regular Mega and make a firm decision on venue - which may include Oxford's Town Hall - then. At the moment Oxford is our prime focus as it offers easy access to/from London, London airports and the ferry and channel tunnel terminals, both by train, car and coach (Oxford Tube) - Oxford also has very strong links to the rest of the country via the M40 and by train. More so than Brighton, which remains a fall-back option if no venue or festival can be secured in/about Oxford. Brighton has its own charm, great countryside, is cache-rich and offers some limited advantages to travellers visiting from mainland Europe over Oxford. A local-to-Brighton Geolympix team member is working on this Plan B.

Activities at the Actual Event: Trade Stalls, invitations to NT/FC/[GAGB]/Local Visitor Departments. Plans for Talks.

Yes, yes and yes. We've had representatives[/team members] at all UK Megas as well as others in Europe and in the USA, gathering ideas and building an outline to follow. One which takes the best elements of everything we've seen and adds some extra ones, appropriate for the scale and ambition of the Geolympix, many with a sporting theme. Trade stands would include caching clothes, equipment, quirky caches, GPS manufacturers, coin design and manufacturers, Groundspeak etc, and the NT and other major UK landowners would be invited to attend. Talks would cover the reviewing process, Wherigo creation, a coin forum, accessible caching (Wendy), caching tech (Alan), cache page HTML basics (me), cunning caching and so on.

A number of fund-raising and prize-giving events will run at the Geolympix, including a 'work-out where the cache is hidden on this map of Oxford' game, pin/badge sales, Guess The Weight of the Ammo Can Dead Lift, furthest visitor award and a few other appropriate money-making schemes based on classic 'English Summer Fete' stand games.

Beyond the Event (Caches)

We plan several diversions to keep cachers staying in the area busy, including working with local cachers to offer a complete range of caches, from 1/1 to 5/5, within 10 miles of the event site. This will allow any visitors to complete their D/T grid (now highly visible, thanks to the Stats tab) within a manageable distance of the Geolympix. Other stats-related ideas are in development.

Cache rings/series intended to be done by boat, foot (see Marathon note below) and cycle will also be set in the area to encourage cachers to explore both the city and its surrounding countryside in a way which thins visitors out to avoid the 'block caching' done by large groups at some other Megas.

Side Events: Any specific or unique events

Still in the planning stages but we're aiming for an CITO (or ecological, such as tree planting) event in the area and a regular event in the evening, allowing visitors to attempt to collect virtually all the GC icons in a day (excluding Maze, HQ, APE...) - There will also be a dog-friendly event, a child-friendly event and a 'Marathon' evening event, at the end of a 26 mile 385 yard permanent caching trail of between 100 and 200 caches. There would also be a camping event and satellite events (with prebookable transport) in Windsor, Stratford-upon-Avon (especially important for US visitors if we gain annually-unique status) and Avebury (far more impressive than Stonehenge, and much closer too) with further options being considered - such as Blenheim Palace - as this has the scale and pomp to compliment Oxford in the summer, as well as being on the city's doorstep. We're also looking to hold some alternative sport-related events, like my GC162FN Frisbee Golf in the Park aka Frolf meet from 2007. Plans for crazy golf may have to be shelved with the move away from Brighton as a setting.

Plans for Camping

Are in the early stages of planning, due to the exact choice of venue still being wide open. If we get one of the universities' halls (as they'll be closed to students for the summer) or another city centre venue, this site is within walking distance of the centre. Oxford is also blessed with a wonderful public transport network from all its corners, allowing anyone using the city's large number of B&Bs, guest houses or hotels to get to our venue. This would also be the case if we select an out-of-town location for a festival style gathering with on-site camping.

Fund Raising Plans

Alan Solomon has put a lot of work into gathering product and pricing information, to allow us to offer a selection of first-class supporters packs. These would be available in Gold, Silver and Bronze variants, reflecting both the contents, limited numbers and value. Each would come with a coin of the same colour (with many more Bronze coins being available than Silver ones, and Gold in turn) as well as five enamelled coins of one colour from a selection of five (Red, Blue, Yellow, Green and Black or White -TBC). These are intended to be swapped with other cachers to gain a complete set of all five colours, helping visitors mingle and form friendships over 'swapsies'. Either the set of three or five coins (or even both) will also have code letters and values on them, allowing the holder of all thre/five colours to find a bonus physical cache or two in the area. Hopefully in a prime spot with the help of the local authorities. By allowing the letters and numbers to be used by anyone, a network of Geolympix caches could be set across the UK and beyond.

There would be a series of fund-raising events in the year heading up to the Geolympix, with pub quiz nights, raffles, auctions and the like, as well as coin and calendar sales.

Some Geolympix coins would be available for purchase, along with Geolympix branded hats, [branded lanyards], t-shirts and hoodies, plus 'as used by Europe's leading cacher' solly-approved caching equipment including the best head torches money can buy and some other, budget lines; small torches, hand mirrors and the like.

Geocaching images have proven popular with calendar sales in the past, and post-event a professionally printed (by the likes of http://www.blurb.com) book would be released, highlighting the best of visitor's photos that capture the atmosphere, as well as satellite events, etc etc. This is at no cost to the Geolympix fundraisers, yet produces a profit to help exceed all event costs.

Sponsorship is also an area we're keen to develop. Many local businesses will be interested in the sorts of numbers of people expected to attend, even if the event is only in line with past UK Megas, from cycle and boat/punt hire firms to the city's various visitor attractions (Carfax Tower, The Oxford Story and so on) - Every sponsor would get a feature on the Geolympix site, with logo, description and link to their own site, along with inclusion on the event guide supplied in every supporters' bag and given to every registering cacher.

We have further fund-rasing plans but at this stage we're not happy to go public with them. Hopefully the above will give the UK Mega Account Stakeholder Committee sufficient insight into our thinking.

Committee Constitution: ie: is the committee formally constituted to provide cover for any possible debts, after the event, if a short fall takes place over funding. Disposal of any excess of funds after the event has happened. Has any possible need for Public Liability insurance for the venue, been covered. A formal Committee Bank Account set up to handle all committee funds.

The use of a limited company limits the liability of any debts to the company rather than any individual involved in fundraising for the event. We intend to formally launch the Geolympix, along with significantly complete and concrete plans, at the Welsh Mega and make a big splash there. There would be full transparency of costs and income for the event, with excess funds being split equally amongst a selection of charities, yet to be decided. Those under consideration include local-to-Oxford Cancer Dogs, Oxford's original charity Oxfam, the National Trust for their support of caching nationally, British Heart Foundation and Thames Valley & Chiltern Air Ambulance Trust. Insurance will be confirmed in writing from any venue, or else obtained to comply with the law. As fundraising has yet to start there's been no need to set up a bank account for the event but this would be done ahead of formal 'money activity'."

Edited by Simply Paul

The idea is kind of interesting. I like the part about a mega event roving from country to country. I don't see the need for a new icon for one however (even regular mega events having a separate icon go against things since it's distinguishing the size of a 'cache' rather than a type of one). The part about setting up series of caches so people can complete certain stat objectives isn't something I'd like to see. A lot of those things are associated with challenge caches and I fear that having something like that would dilute the challenging aspect of those challenges. I also don't see the need for leaving a 26+ mile long 'power trail' in the wake of this, or any other event.

GEOLYMPIX

-

Paul Smith; the UK's leading cache event organiser (32, with several more planned)

-

Well you pretty much lost me here. What is an "international Mega bagger?" What does being an Olympic torch bearer have to do with this? Thousands of others have been one too, including me. I'm sorry, but that just sounds like a bunch of heavy chest banging, look at me tripe. I can understand why you haven't got a response. Yes, this is a snarky response, but I think your letter was opened rather presumptuously too. That's my thoughts anyway.

I like the name GEOLYMPIX and the bids from different places. However, would this mean that if 2 countries both wanted to hold such an event in the same year they would be competing, and only one can win? In that case, to be fair, this should be a UK/England bid and other countries/ centres should also be able to put forward bids. I wouldn't want to be on the panel choosing though. 'the word 'Mega' seems a little anglocentric as well.

I would prefer to see the best of a countries existing caches showcased and highlighted rather than challenge caches to score smileys.

That's just my first impressions, but it looks as though a lot of work has gone into the planning and I do hope something takes off around the Olympics...Hey, why not have the event follow the Olympic bid winner...Or is that the idea and I missed the point?

I think this topic may gather more posted opinions if it was put into the "Geocaching Topics" forum: Many cachers from other countries/states don't venture into other regional forum sections but many read the Geocaching Topics...
A very good point, and one we tried here after allowing this thread to fall off the first few pages of the UK forum. Unfortunately it was closed down before we were able to reply to some specific comments there.

To be clear, the pitch was made to Groundspeak last year and as an idea, put completely in their hands. If they decide 2012 should have an official Hyper event (one up from a Mega?) and wanted it to be in the US, that would be their call. We simply feel it's a good idea to introduce a form of geomeet with a special, international flavour, following some Olympic ideals about bringing people together through sport (pastime, hobby, obsession). It wouldn't need be unnecessarily competitive or exclusive; it would be as inclusive as the organisers could be, if they wanted to attract large numbers of cachers - a key intention? While few ideas appeal to everyone, universally, we're putting the suggestion out there, hopefully for a response from Groundspeak beyond the "This is a really neat idea and we'll be talking about it" which we received in September 2010.

We'll be looking at all feedback and hopefully fine-tuning the Geolympix to appeal to as many cachers as possible, in whichever format (Mega/Hyper) it ends up in - Thank you to everyone who's taken the time to reply here and on the international thread, link above.

Committee Constitution: ie: is the committee formally constituted to provide cover for any possible debts, after the event, if a short fall takes place over funding. Disposal of any excess of funds after the event has happened. Has any possible need for Public Liability insurance for the venue, been covered. A formal Committee Bank Account set up to handle all committee funds.

The use of a limited company limits the liability of any debts to the company rather than any individual involved in fundraising for the event. We intend to formally launch the Geolympix, along with significantly complete and concrete plans, at the Welsh Mega and make a big splash there. There would be full transparency of costs and income for the event, with excess funds being split equally amongst a selection of charities, yet to be decided. Those under consideration include local-to-Oxford Cancer Dogs, Oxford's original charity Oxfam, the National Trust for their support of caching nationally, British Heart Foundation and Thames Valley & Chiltern Air Ambulance Trust. Insurance will be confirmed in writing from any venue, or else obtained to comply with the law. As fundraising has yet to start there's been no need to set up a bank account for the event but this would be done ahead of formal 'money activity'."

Please consider the "Help for Heros" charity, thank you

It's a shame the thread in the geocaching topics forum was closed.

Please consider the "Help for Heros" charity, thank you

That would be great, too. I love the H4H geocoin, I think it's the best I've ever seen for quality and design. (Not to detract from the other charities chosen).

Have you considered doing a satellite tour/visit of the Olympics themed caches in Much Wenlock? (That is where the modern Olympian games were born, ya know!

GEOLYMPIX

-

-

Well you pretty much lost me here. What is an "international Mega bagger?" What does being an Olympic torch bearer have to do with this? Thousands of others have been one too, including me. I'm sorry, but that just sounds like a bunch of heavy chest banging, look at me tripe. I can understand why you haven't got a response. Yes, this is a snarky response, but I think your letter was opened rather presumptuously too. That's my thoughts anyway.

There speaks a man who has never attended a Mega event nor any event out of his home state!

The mention of the Olympic Torch is because this is planned to be a geolympix - obviously the link is too subtle - frankly, I think your assertation of chest banging is rather rude, I was selected to be an Olympic Torch bearer as an "everyday hero" precisely the antithesis of chest banging, and yes, indeed, I carried the Olympic Torch and pushed my own wheelchair at the same time - on good days I am even capable of finding geocaches ... amazing the things disabled people can get up to these days! :blink:

GEOLYMPIX

-

-

There speaks a man who has never attended a Mega event nor any event out of his home state!

The mention of the Olympic Torch is because this is planned to be a geolympix - obviously the link is too subtle - frankly, I think your assertation of chest banging is rather rude, I was selected to be an Olympic Torch bearer as an "everyday hero" precisely the antithesis of chest banging, and yes, indeed, I carried the Olympic Torch and pushed my own wheelchair at the same time - on good days I am even capable of finding geocaches ... amazing the things disabled people can get up to these days! :blink:

I think you misconstrue my comment. I did not mean to lessen, demean, or cheapen the accomplishments of you and your fellow organizers in any way. That was not the point I was making; apparently I wasn't very clear. The request should be able to stand on its own merit and shouldn't need justification by touting the qualifications/achievements of the requestors. In my opinion, doing so, raises a red flag and usually has the opposite effect than is desired.

Let me paraphrase: Hey Groundspeak we're organizing the Geolympix Mega event and we'd like you to do something for us because we're: Europe's leading geocache finder; an inspirational force & international Mega bagger; the UK's leading cache event organiser; and an Olympic torch bearer & Inclusive/HandiCaching champion.

I understand that is not what was written but that's the impression I get when reading it. Worse yet, that impression is formed before the request is presented.

...The request should be able to stand on its own merit and shouldn't need justification by touting the qualifications/achievements of the requestors. In my opinion, doing so, raises a red flag and usually has the opposite effect than is desired.

Let me paraphrase: Hey Groundspeak we're organizing the Geolympix Mega event and we'd like you to do something for us because we're: Europe's leading geocache finder; an inspirational force & international Mega bagger; the UK's leading cache event organiser; and an Olympic torch bearer & Inclusive/HandiCaching champion....

The point of listing some of the people behind the event (the list has since grown) and a little something about them was to make it clear to Groundspeak that the UK 2012 Geolympix event - more than a roving Mega Mega idea which, as you rightly point out, should stand on its own feet - had the backing of some very committed, experienced and knowledgeable cachers. I'm sorry you found the language too florid but it wasn't specifically written for you as the audience. The letter was certainly received with interest and enthusiasm by Jeremy at the time. We're simply trying to find out from Groundspeak if there's more than vague interest in the broader concept now, and if so, what shape is that interest is taking. It may be that the UK Geolympix would need to be a success as a Mega before Groundspeak would want to take the idea further; we just don't know. Here's hoping one of the emails sent gets a reply, or even an official reply is posted here. It would help the Geolympix team plan for the scale of the event/s based on the number of people who may be interested in attending; venue/s need booking! All major features need to be in place ahead of the Welsh Mega in July for the big launch. I hope that explains why we've 'gone public' with the concept (we 'went public' with the event in August 2009) - if enough people say "Wow. Yes. I get it. So a Hyper/Geolympix is to a Mega what a Mega is to a regular meet, and it'd be annual to keep it special, and it'd travel the world to show the global nature of the game, and it'd have its own icon because it'd deserve one to mark it out as a unique type of Mega(Mega)" then perhaps Groundspeak will agree it's the right time for something of this sort, just as there was a right time to introduce Megas some years ago.
Have you really heard nothing from GS since September? That would be shocking customer service if so. Let's see if they can be bothered to respond to your Feedback Forum topic.

I can promise you we've not heard a peep from Groundspeak, pro or anti, since September's chat with Jeremy. I set the Feedback Forum topic up a couple of days ago, following MrsB's suggestion, as another line of enquiry. Here's hoping!

Can I make a suggestion?

1. Have a moderator lock this thread.
  2. Start a new thread, "See you at Geolympix 2012?" or similar, on the main forum. Address this to geocachers, not Groundspeak, to gauge the level of grass-roots support you have for the concept. Is it going to be more or less popular than other UK Megas, for example? Don't confuse people here with the icon issue; just get a feel for who would come to the event. It's all about the numbers! Note: fellow cachers aren't going to care who's on the committee ...
  3. Start a feedback item, "New icon: Geolympix" or similar, addressed to Groundspeak. This is where you ask for the new icon type and where you set the deadline for a decision by GS. Your notes on business planning go here, too, safely away from the main forum. Presumably it matters less that you get the new icon, more that you get a response by some particular date. Tell GS what that deadline is; make it clear there's an investment decision to make. Amongst all the other verbiage (excuse me), put the deadline in BIG BOLD FONT!
  4. If necessary (within say two weeks of the deadline), send GS a nudge to make a call one way or the other - mail contact@geocaching.com or whatever it is.

I think I'll just phone them, but thanks for the suggestions I! Thankfully the plans we have were always designed to scale up or down depending on the level of "Count us in!" emails we'll get via the Geolympix.com site, which goes live the moment deposits on the core venue/s are paid and we can make all the announcements we want to. The launch party will be around the Welsh Mega on July 31st this year. Everyone's invited - We just need to pick a good host location in Wales. I've a friend in Swansea who's doing some pub research for me... That's what he calls it anyway :)

These couple of threads have been useful though, if not quite in the way we'd hoped- no reply from Groundspeak but some interesting comments we'll use to make the Geolympix the best Geolympix you've ever been to :laughing:

Personally, I'll be pushing for dwile flonking to be added to the programme of distractions- Thanks Neil! Now, any volunteers to be the jobanowl?

Update on this.

The Geolympix team have received an email from Bryan at Groundspeak, who'd like to talk about the 'International Celebration of Geocaching' 'Mega Mega' annual globally-roving event concept which we originally pitched back in September 2010, along with other aspects of the Geolympix plans. We'll keep the community informed as to developments as far as we're able, naturally.

In the meantime, we remain keen to avoid treading on the toes of this year's Mega in Wales, which is in Swansea on July 31st. We've committed to avoid fundraising before it but there will be a Geolympix stand at the Welsh Mega selling Geolympix products, taking pre-registrations and raising the event's profile.

Edited by Simply Paul

Update on this.... which we originally pitched back in September 2011,...

So will time travel be one of the events on offer at the Geolympix then?
We'd love to offer temporal navigation but the insurance is frankly hellish. Health & Safety... :)

(Thanks for pointing that out; a slip of the excited typing finger.)

What date in 2012 is this mega event planed to take place?
There will be a week-long festival of events with the planned potential Mega on the weekend of the 21st and 22nd of July, a week before the start of the Olympics.

there - i fixed it for you

What date in 2012 is this mega event planed to take place?
There will be a week-long festival of events with the planned potential Mega on the weekend of the 21st and 22nd of July, a week before the start of the Olympics.

there - i fixed it for you
You're very kind and quite right, of course. As per the thrust of the thread, we're chasing a status beyond Mega, with Mega as a fall-back. Thanks for picking up on that.